LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 347 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
The saddest thing is Roman/Harbaugh whoever calls the plays and puts together the gameplan has really cost us some games. It's hard to swallow.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=542128

Says it all.

Our play calling is now so predictable on run or pass.
Originally posted by Buchy:

Says it all.

Thanks, excellent write up!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Says it all.

It's true and if IIRC, we only passed 4 times on 1st downs all game long...the rest were all predictable runs up the gut as highlighted here. Gore, Hunter and James had NO shot to be successful on a single attempt.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Says it all.

It's true and if IIRC, we only passed 4 times on 1st downs all game long...the rest were all predictable runs up the gut as highlighted here. Gore, Hunter and James had NO shot to be successful on a single attempt.

This has been true in most games and I just don't understand why the team can't analyze their tendencies to eliminate predictability. Another aspect of the WCO that is missing from this team.

Says it all.

This has been true in most games and I just don't understand why the team can't analyze their tendencies to eliminate predictability. Another aspect of the WCO that is missing from this team.

In this archaic offensive philsophy, this coaching staff is going to need all-pro's at every single position on offense to even be above average.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Are the 49ers suffering paralysis by analysis under Greg Roman?
When the 49ers do manage to get the ball into scoring position, the offense struggles in the red zone despite the many weapons at our disposal. We settle for field goals. In fact, we are number one in the league with 105 made over the last three seasons. Although points are points, the lack of ability to score touchdowns on great drives is maddening. And against Seattle, the opportunities to get into the red zone will be more difficult. The 49ers cannot leave points on the field.
http://bigtimefootball.com/football/are-the-49ers-suffering-paralysis-by-analysis-under-greg-roman/

And then this gem from the Seattle game

Running plays when we had 4 guys split out - 0
Running plays when we had 3 guys split out - 0
Running plays when we had 2 guys split out - 4 (but see below)
Running plays when we had 1 guy split out - 10 (every single one of them with 8 or 9 defenders in the box)
Running plays when we had 0 guys split out - 2 (against 11-man fronts)
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
When the 49ers do manage to get the ball into scoring position, the offense struggles in the red zone despite the many weapons at our disposal. We settle for field goals. In fact, we are number one in the league with 105 made over the last three seasons. Although points are points, the lack of ability to score touchdowns on great drives is maddening. And against Seattle, the opportunities to get into the red zone will be more difficult. The 49ers cannot leave points on the field.
http://bigtimefootball.com/football/are-the-49ers-suffering-paralysis-by-analysis-under-greg-roman/

Running plays when we had 1 guy split out - 10 (every single one of them with 8 or 9 defenders in the box)

• thl408

That's a good breakdown. Thanks for that. I have complained in the past why the 49ers will pass out of running formations but will rarely, if ever, run out of passing formations. Keeping a defense off balance is critical, especially when playing division foes where familiarity works against the offense. Combine this running out of 1WR sets with the predictability in Gore's game (mainly between the tackles) and it's no surprise the run game stalls versus teams with a good front 7. Cover3, by design, is a good defensive scheme against the run and the 49ers 'forcing the run' played right into SEA's hands.
Originally posted by Janitor:

It looks bad, but I think those are formations. They can still have 2-3 guys out on a pattern with a run formation. For example, you can have only 1 receiver spilt out wide, but have 2 TE on the line going out on passing patterns. That's 3 guys out for a pass. Niners are running team that can have guys go out for a pass out of those run formations. It's part of building a reputation for a running team, qb protection, and still sorta keep the defense honest by not playing the run on every down.

With the speed and size of VD, he can turn into that #2 WR very quickly.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM ]

Originally posted by thl408:

That's a good breakdown. Thanks for that. I have complained in the past why the 49ers will pass out of running formations but will rarely, if ever, run out of passing formations. Keeping a defense off balance is critical, especially when playing division foes where familiarity works against the offense. Combine this running out of 1WR sets with the predictability in Gore's game (mainly between the tackles) and it's no surprise the run game stalls versus teams with a good front 7. Cover3, by design, is a good defensive scheme against the run and the 49ers 'forcing the run' played right into SEA's hands.
Would be the perfect time to work LMJ in the game. Use his and hunter's quickness to hit the hole in these situations. It's like they have change of pace backs but don't call any plays to utilize that change of pace.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by thl408:

Would be the perfect time to work LMJ in the game. Use his and hunter's quickness to hit the hole in these situations. It's like they have change of pace backs but don't call any plays to utilize that change of pace.

And a key point in all of this is that all but IIRC, 4 plays were running plays on first downs as well. Seattle had no issue at all getting us into 2nd and longs all day long.
th and others, I wanted your thoughts/insight on this topic:

In watching some film, can someone theorize as to why we don't go with a predominant or even half-time pro style spread offense? I noticed when CK was in shotgun (ala Brady) and there were 4 or even 5 true receiving options (all running hard to get open) and he was allowed to stand back there, scan and find his man, he was terrific.

Wouldn't this suit our personnel much better as well?
QB: CK (we let BJ Daniels go)
RB: James and Hunter (maybe Lattimore out of the Q formation AND in power sets); Gore is an excellent pas protector and when used on a regular basis, has good hands
WR: Patton and Crabtree (I'm sure Boldin can play in any offense); not sure about Baldwin and others
TE: VD and esp. McDonald (Carrier)
OL: Boone, Staley, Kilgore (lighter but more mobile and athletic)

I would love to see what Seattle did as well for comparisons sake.
  • thl408
th and others, I wanted your thoughts/insight on this topic:

In watching some film, can someone theorize as to why we don't go with a predominant or even half-time pro style spread offense? I noticed when CK was in shotgun (ala Brady) and there were 4 or even 5 true receiving options (all running hard to get open) and he was allowed to stand back there, scan and find his man, he was terrific.

Wouldn't this suit our personnel much better as well?
QB: CK (we let BJ Daniels go)
RB: James and Hunter (maybe Lattimore out of the Q formation AND in power sets); Gore is an excellent pas protector and when used on a regular basis, has good hands
WR: Patton and Crabtree (I'm sure Boldin can play in any offense); not sure about Baldwin and others
TE: VD and esp. McDonald (Carrier)
OL: Boone, Staley, Kilgore (lighter but more mobile and athletic)

A real spread offense is something I feel can allow Kap to put up better passing numbers (fantasy football numbers), but it isn't what Harbaugh is about. A spread offense is basically the polar opposite of a power run offense and we know how much Jim likes his 2TE sets. The 49ers actually use a spread formation out of any personnel grouping as we have seen Vance, Miller, and Gore line up wide to create coverage mismatches, while keeping the defense's base personnel on the field. If you are referring to 3WR/4WR spread formations, then that is what goes against, what I think is, Jim's philosophy. If the 49ers field a 3WR+VD personnel, but bunch them together hoping to beat man coverage, would you consider that a spread look? Perhaps you are asking why don't the 49ers use more 3WR sets + VD lined up wide to give the look of a 4WR set.

I don't know if Jim has it in him to go to this type of offense (3WR + VD out wide) as base personnel. Is it an issue of philosophy, or is an issue of what he thinks is inadequate talent in the 13-14 season (WRs, OL pass pro, Kap's current level of development)? The fact that he forces the run shows he values the ground and pound game. Vance McDonald's post season quotes were telling in that Jim puts a lot of value in winning the war of the trenches, something we shouldn't be surprised to hear:

"I definitely kind of got the vibe of what we wanted to establish as an offense. We wanted to be a definite run team. We wanted to establish the line of scrimmage. And we had the players to do it and the offensive line to do it. We had the running backs to do it. I knew that was a big focus, so I definitely wasn't surprised."

The question is, as Kap gains experience as a passer and players like Crabs, QP, Vance, become more accustomed to the offense, will Jim throw the ball more, and if he does, will it be out of a 3WR set, or will it be out of a 2TE set? Does Jim love his 2TEs and Miller too much to do this? He has mentioned that he strives for balance. Not balance in run/pass ratio, but balance in being able to run and pass equally in effectiveness while being able to give a myriad of looks (22 personnel, pistol, shotgun spread). Sorry I have no answer, just more questions and it has to do with Jim's philosophy. I don't think any of us know because Jim only has 3 years NFL head coaching experience while working with 2 different types of QBs.
Share 49ersWebzone