There are 226 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
With 30 seconds and two time outs you work your way down the field... you don't force a pass into the end zone unless you have a wide open shot. Kap is a young QB and has issues controlling his ego and emotions and Jim should have called a time out or instructed him to spike the ball so that we could regroup and set the standard for how we would go in for a td. Jim should have grabbed Kap by his facemask and told him don't get cute! We were killing the Seahawks when Kap was on the move outside the pocket he had no reason to drop back and pass right out the gate, as much disdain as I have for Sherman I will admit he is a DB you can't do that against.

Throwing a long pass is "cute"?

But I agree with you, at 1st and 10, with two timeouts, its not a good idea to take a risk like that unless you know it's open.

Kap struggles against the Hawks, but I'd like to know a quarterback who doesn't.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Throwing a long pass is "cute"?

But I agree with you, at 1st and 10, with two timeouts, its not a good idea to take a risk like that unless you know it's open.

Kap struggles against the Hawks, but I'd like to know a quarterback who doesn't.

he played way better than the previous qb's who came in there recently
he carried the team and the rest of the offense didn't step up.

that's really what it was

if the rest of the offense played how kap played for 3 quarters the game would have been a blowout
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Puckdaddy.
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
So you would rather him hit Patton and get "3" (which is gross speculation) or the present outcome? If Kap had hit Patton there were two potential blockers in front and a chance to gain positive yardage, get out of bounds and live to see another day. Obviously you didn't think too much before you posted that.

stop trying to insult intelligence. you have no idea who i am or what i do.

next

what 2 potential blockers are you talking about?

WHERE ARE THEY?

Boldin is looking straight ahead and running a seam route into the end zone.

and davis is running an out route which was being squatted on by a defender to his outside.

so again

what blockers are you talking about?

you didn't even watch the play
you're just saying things.

stop trying to insult intelligence. you have no idea who i am or what i do.

next

what 2 potential blockers are you talking about?

WHERE ARE THEY?

Boldin is looking straight ahead and running a seam route into the end zone.

and davis is running an out route which was being squatted on by a defender to his outside.

so again

what blockers are you talking about?

you didn't even watch the play
you're just saying things.

Look man, I have watched this war closely since it became relevant. The Seahawks are not some special team, neither are they a great defense. They understand that the answer is to stop the read option, and to watch Kaps eyes. They will not steer you wrong. He may look a defender off every blue moon, but never on a consistent basis. Notice that every defender is playing the quarterback EXCEPT Sherman who they know will get his head around to pick off our lame duck QB.
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on Jan 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM ]
Look man, I have watched this war closely since it became relevant. The Seahawks are not some special team, neither are they a great defense. They understand that the answer is to stop the read option, and to watch Kaps eyes. They will not steer you wrong. He may look a defender off every blue moon, but never on a consistent basis. Notice that every defender is playing the quarterback EXCEPT Sherman who they know will get his head around to pick off of lame duck QB.

lol now you bring the read option into it... his runs weren't on read options they were on scrambles. they were playing man to man and when the pocket collapsed he was able to hurt them bad for big yards because they don't tackle well they just hold well and there was nobody in the middle due to the coverage.

they switched to a zone and spy look to combat that. with that zone and spy look GORE OR SOMEONE should have been able to run the damn ball. 43 yards is PITIFUL when every other team plays them they can run.. seattle doesn't play zone coverage on anyone they stack the box and leave their corners on islands so you can get rid of that well they don't respect out passing so they stack the box sentiment its false. they just did that to drew brees who was a statue back there. DIFFERENCE IS their running backs ran and the offensive line opened up holes
ours got dominated. and continue to get dominated
and roman refuses to put in hunter to hit the holes quicker than gore does with the slow developing plays. gore isn't the problem the play types are.

next every defender is watching kap because they have zone responsibilities. pointing out that defenders squatting in an area of coverage looking at the qb's eyes is in no way a slight on kap. they will be doing that in 2 weeks if they go to zone coverage.

sherman and the other db are the only db's in man to man coverage.

notice

patton is wide open as you point out.. why? because they're in zone.
notice vd's guy doesn't break he's in his area the next guy goes up on the route why? zone coverage.

also piling on at this point because of the zone coverage with match up man to man the correct play is to crab who is 1 on 1.

boldin is going to the end zone the safety is over there to help because that pass would have to be made in the middle of the field.. against the elite earl thomas.

patton didn't move from the snap he is open but there are 3 defenders over there.

vd is running an out to the sideline there are 2 defenders there waiting if that throw is attempted that is a pick 6.

the correct pre snap read was to crabtree. and crabtree did his job on the route. he got to the spot in the end zone he needed to.
kap needs to fire that ball in there instead of lobbing it up.

fire it and sherman doesn't have time to react to a rocket pass. that's either a catch or incomplete and we get 2nd down.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
it's time to let both Mangini and our OC go to another team..
its not. you're saying he had 2 potential blockers when there were 3 defenders in that area for 1 and 2nd vd wasn't even done running his route. by the time he breaks if he throws it to patton its already a done deal they are squatting on everything.

boldin is running full speed.. into the end zone.

the better decision is to fire the ball in there instead of trying to touch it in there.

throw it high and hard and either crab skies for it or we play another down.

i don't even like the play call.. with 2 timeouts that would have been a perfect time to actually do what you suggested and run a screen since all of the db's are immediately going for depth but our coordinator doesn't think like that. and crab and boldin both had demonstrated they could fight through and get away from the db's of seattle who wanted no parts of tackling.

and we still have 2 timeouts so they can do whatever they can to run on any part of the field to get the td.

Actually they are not sitting on anything just yet. Look at my photo then look at yours. It shows that they were not yet settled in their zones as they were still gaining depth. Still Patton was a positive gain and the better decision.
Actually they are not sitting on anything just yet. Look at my photo then look at yours. It shows that they were not yet settled in their zones as they were still gaining depth. Still Patton was a positive gain and the better decision.

that's even worse because if they weren't settled there would have been nothing to stop them from going forward instead of moving from stand still position.
it was a positive gain i do not believe it was a better position. we'll disagree and that's perfectly fine.

if we're going to go with that play call (which i did not like) the throw has to be great and we're going to the super bowl.

i believe a screen at that juncture would have killed them since we hadn't done one all game
and any one of them (crab/boldin/patton) would have gotten major yards since those db's do not like to tackle aggressive wr's
Three years, two completely different quarterbacks and a bundle of new weapons and they're having the same issues. However drastic, it may be time to rethink some things. The Niners cannot afford to waste what may be Justin Smith and Frank Gore's last year in 2014.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1929545-49ers-vs-seahawks-takeaways-from-san-franciscos-23-17-loss-to-seattle/page/4
I just want us to run a pro style offense. Please for the love of god get rid of these 3 TE sets and jumbo packages. Stop talking the WRs off the field. Develop kap as a passer not a duel threat qb. That's all I want.
Sure. But now that Norv is gone, only Mike is left. Who else is there for us?

lol now you bring the read option into it... his runs weren't on read options they were on scrambles. they were playing man to man and when the pocket collapsed he was able to hurt them bad for big yards because they don't tackle well they just hold well and there was nobody in the middle due to the coverage.

they switched to a zone and spy look to combat that. with that zone and spy look GORE OR SOMEONE should have been able to run the damn ball. 43 yards is PITIFUL when every other team plays them they can run.. seattle doesn't play zone coverage on anyone they stack the box and leave their corners on islands so you can get rid of that well they don't respect out passing so they stack the box sentiment its false. they just did that to drew brees who was a statue back there. DIFFERENCE IS their running backs ran and the offensive line opened up holes
ours got dominated. and continue to get dominated
and roman refuses to put in hunter to hit the holes quicker than gore does with the slow developing plays. gore isn't the problem the play types are.

next every defender is watching kap because they have zone responsibilities. pointing out that defenders squatting in an area of coverage looking at the qb's eyes is in no way a slight on kap. they will be doing that in 2 weeks if they go to zone coverage.

sherman and the other db are the only db's in man to man coverage.

notice

patton is wide open as you point out.. why? because they're in zone.
notice vd's guy doesn't break he's in his area the next guy goes up on the route why? zone coverage.

also piling on at this point because of the zone coverage with match up man to man the correct play is to crab who is 1 on 1.

boldin is going to the end zone the safety is over there to help because that pass would have to be made in the middle of the field.. against the elite earl thomas.

patton didn't move from the snap he is open but there are 3 defenders over there.

vd is running an out to the sideline there are 2 defenders there waiting if that throw is attempted that is a pick 6.

the correct pre snap read was to crabtree. and crabtree did his job on the route. he got to the spot in the end zone he needed to.
kap needs to fire that ball in there instead of lobbing it up.

fire it and sherman doesn't have time to react to a rocket pass. that's either a catch or incomplete and we get 2nd down.

This response is full of misquotes first I never said anything about stacking the box, I never said that defenders squatting is a slight on Kap.

Now you contradicted yourself a few times. First you said that they never play zone yet you gave an explanation about their zone responsibility. Truth is, they did a good job at giving both looks. And despite your initial assumption they do play zone. Second, they played man a lot less than they usually do because it was not beneficial when it comes to reading his eyes. Please watch the game.
The issue with your pre snap read assessment is that the object is not to read and lock on. You have to assess the personnel in that situation. If the db in man coverage is Maxwell or Thurmond yes lock on. But their best corner who stands at 6'3?

And last but not least, your rocket pass solution is speculation.
that's even worse because if they weren't settled there would have been nothing to stop them from going forward instead of moving from stand still position.
it was a positive gain i do not believe it was a better position. we'll disagree and that's perfectly fine.

if we're going to go with that play call (which i did not like) the throw has to be great and we're going to the super bowl.

i believe a screen at that juncture would have killed them since we hadn't done one all game
and any one of them (crab/boldin/patton) would have gotten major yards since those db's do not like to tackle aggressive wr's

If they were still climbing their zones, that would force them to have to see the play, plant, react, the reach the runner. Wait we are still speaking on Patton in the flats right?
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM ]
This response is full of misquotes first I never said anything about stacking the box, I never said that defenders squatting is a slight on Kap.

Now you contradicted yourself a few times. First you said that they never play zone yet you gave an explanation about their zone responsibility. Truth is, they did a good job at giving both looks. And despite your initial assumption they do play zone. Second, they played man a lot less than they usually do because it was not beneficial when it comes to reading his eyes. Please watch the game.
The issue with your pre snap read assessment is that the object is not to read and lock on. You have to assess the personnel in that situation. If the db in man coverage is Maxwell or Thurmond yes lock on. But their best corner who stands at 6'3?

And last but not least, your rocket pass solution is speculation.

no

they play man to man and stack the box against everyone.
they did that against us but kap murdered them.
so they came out in the 2nd half and played zone
and spy on kap to combat that.

the pre snap read was the correct one.
that was 1 on 1 coverage. it didn't change after the snap. everyone was covered. patton was wide open on the line of scrimmage not 5 or 10 yards down the field.

kap said it himself if he places it 2 yards further that's a td
If they were still climbing their zones, that would force them to have to see the play, plant, react, the reach the runner. Wait we are still speaking on Patton in the flats right?

patton in the flats. their eyes are trained on kap the entire time. they have no man responsibility so they're free.
they see that pass come out quick they jump it and go in for the tackle. especially bad considering even if boldin blocks vd isn't he's running his route and 1 free defender to run up to get patton.

now if he waits and throws it after the play develops as a check down, same thing.. except boldin is now in the end zone and there are 2 defenders and 1 blocker.

i would rather it be an official wr screen i think that would work in that situation.
no

they play man to man and stack the box against everyone.
they did that against us but kap murdered them.
so they came out in the 2nd half and played zone
and spy on kap to combat that.

the pre snap read was the correct one.
that was 1 on 1 coverage. it didn't change after the snap. everyone was covered. patton was wide open on the line of scrimmage not 5 or 10 yards down the field.

kap said it himself if he places it 2 yards further that's a td

Well that's where we disagree and so would many other QB's. Ask Brady would he have targeted Sherman in that situation. He didn't target Revis unless it was Moss. Lol but that's another story. I do agree that a perfect pass would have been a TD.
Share 49ersWebzone