LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 517 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
That's AR for ya!

I think crab waiving for the ball proves Kap has options. If it's the single read or run idea you guys keep pushing the other WR's would never motion for the ball. If you aren't an option you won't try to get the QB's attention.

All receivers become ad lib if that ball isn't delivered under that 3-second mark to either the AR or first read in a PS play. So probably, once the AR was covered up, then Crabs knew he was an option and was once again, waving his hands to get CK's attention.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
We finally light it up the first half, well first qtr really and then roman goes...somebody said potato head. So here is a question for the AR guys(NC and others)...assuming we are running some AR plays, does that make kap lock onto that receiver when one or two other guys are virtually uncovered on the other half of the field? Is it kap not seeing or is it AR plays demanding AR 1 is targeted or AR 2, and everybody else is a decoy? Because our decoys were open to beat the damn band on a lot of occasions tonite, and if kap is to blame, that's one thing. But if he looks bad because of fricking roman, that is another matter entirely.

To restate, if we play only PS, and no ARs, would kap be more likely to see the one or sometimes two guys wide open? Because if that is the case, then schidt can the AR an just play PS. The number of times kap missed really good receivers was amazing. And he still had 300+ yds. What would have happened if he had played WCO? I bet he would have had 450 yds. Our O calls are truly offensive. I think the really crappy calls make kap look bad...or is he doing that
on his own? I am asking out of ignorance, because I looked and honestly could not tell. Anybody?

Well, it's safe to say we've estblished a pretty obvious offensive pattern to date, eh?

The game wasn't on locally again here but IIRC, it seemed like a combination of issues today from play calling, CK not checking out of brick-wall runs (we probably shouldn't assume he is given the freedom here based on the Gore/CK change-of-play last game to get the winning TD), CK locking on to that AR throughout the entirety of the play (faith-hoping he finally gets open) and CK himself, hesitating and probably having tunnel vision. As to WHY he has tunnel vision, well, that could be a direct result of a heavy AR focus early on in his career here and coaching. It's harder for me to believe by week 17 that he could be just be missing guys THIS wide open THIS often...so I'm left believing it's more system (offensive philosophy and AR passing game) and coaching.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
yet another game the niners win in spite of roman, hope i am wrong and lucky we are playing a team with a horrid defense sunday but sooner or later, just like the super bowl,, roman will cost us somewhere down the line here.
  • buck
  • Veteran
SF offense under Roman

Rushing offense
2013—3rd
2012—4th
2011—8th

Rushing offense Yards per attempt
2013—9th –4.4
2012—3rd—5.1
2011—19th—4.1

[b]Passing offense
[/b]2013—30th
2012—23rd
2011—29th

Passing Offense—Yards per Attempt
2013—7th –7.7
2012—2nd—8.1 yards
2011—16th—7.1

Passing Offense—QB Rating
2013—9th –91.7
2012—4th—101.2
2011—8th—91.4

Scoring Offense—Points per game
2013—11th—25.4
2012—11th—24.8
2011—11th –23.6

edit: Sorry. I had an error
in 2013 we were 9th in yards per rush attempt with 4.4
[ Edited by buck on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
RE: Run plays on short yardage. We would have had a better chance on a run straight at a gap...or even on a play action/fake/bootleg type run to the outside. I'll take Kap's foot speed to get to the edge on short yardage over anything else.

Roman's lack of recognition of what was happening, and what to do given the adversity was most troubling.

We won't see a run D like AZ in the playoffs until we run into Seattle....what then?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
SF offense under Roman

Rushing offense
2013—3rd
2012—4th
2011—8th

2013—3rd –5.1
2012—3rd—5.1
2011—19th—4.1

[b]Passing offense
[/b]2013—30th
2012—23rd
2011—29th

2013—7th –7.7
2012—2nd—8.1 yards
2011—16th—7.1

2013—9th –91.7
2012—4th—101.2
2011—8th—91.4

I've never had a problem with our overall run game. I just have a problem with the bizarre run plays he creates and calls.

Great perspective though because it shows that our passing game is atrociously small-game minded but efficient. So does it stem from bad play creation, play calling, bad QB/WR/TE play?

Because I think a change needs to be made if it can be fixed but if it is something that is a systemic attribute of all Harbaugh offenses than we all need to let it go.
Roman = worst situational play caller in the league. He hits on 70% of his schemes, and the other 30% leaves us asking dafuq?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
RE: Run plays on short yardage. We would have had a better chance on a run straight at a gap...or even on a play action/fake/bootleg type run to the outside. I'll take Kap's foot speed to get to the edge on short yardage over anything else.

Roman's lack of recognition of what was happening, and what to do given the adversity was most troubling.

We won't see a run D like AZ in the playoffs until we run into Seattle....what then?
on the other hand, roman and his calls tends to turn the worst defense in the world to a bunch of all pros. roman is our own worst enemy in my opinion
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I'm still holding out hope that Roman is trolling us and the offense will blow up in the playoffs. I seriously hope he's been hiding plays and setting up tendencies to break them in the playoffs. I realize this is unlikely, but this team should with the SB and the only thing holding us back is this schizophrenic offense. I hope Roman doesn't cost us another one because this team is special an has everything it needs. Hope is all I got because without it I can see us exiting rather early.

If we just go into games with the goal of scoring 40 pts as quickly as possible we'll win it all even if we score ever score that many
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
I've never had a problem with our overall run game. I just have a problem with the bizarre run plays he creates and calls.

Great perspective though because it shows that our passing game is atrociously small-game minded but efficient. So does it stem from bad play creation, play calling, bad QB/WR/TE play?

Because I think a change needs to be made if it can be fixed but if it is something that is a systemic attribute of all Harbaugh offenses than we all need to let it go.

Sorry. I had an error
in 2013 we were 9th in yards per rush attempt with 4.4

Originally posted by sfout:
SF offense under Roman

Rushing offense
2013—3rd
2012—4th
2011—8th

2013—3rd –5.1
2012—3rd—5.1
2011—19th—4.1

[b]Passing offense
[/b]2013—30th
2012—23rd
2011—29th

2013—7th –7.7
2012—2nd—8.1 yards
2011—16th—7.1

2013—9th –91.7
2012—4th—101.2
2011—8th—91.4

It's true but the YPA is not a sign of "efficiency." It's a sign (with us) as a team that struggles greatly on 1st down production and consequently, forces longer, intermediate passes on 2nd and 3rd downs and this also happens to be one of CK's strengths. The stat is a bit deceiving.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's true but the YPA is not a sign of "efficiency." It's a sign (with us) as a team that struggles greatly on 1st down production and consequently, forces longer, intermediate passes on 2nd and 3rd downs and this also happens to be one of CK's strengths. The stat is a bit deceiving.

Perhaps, I only offered the stats. I made no attempt to interpret them.

I am more interested in the reaction to them in the context of this discussion.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Perhaps, I only offered the stats. I made no attempt to interpret them.

I am more interested in the reaction to them in the context of this discussion.
in other words you are a pot stirer
Greg Roman - offense is #10 in scoring with a depleted receiving corps for most of the season, a quarterback spending most of the season learning to play the position in an entirely new way, and an offensive line built for the run learning to pass block; third straight year in the playoffs.

Niner fans search for reasons to complain. Don't worry, Niner fans. Roman will be gone next season. Despite all our complaining, some very smart football people at an elite Division I college or a pro team really want this guy as a head coach. Go figure!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Greg Roman - offense is #10 in scoring with a depleted receiving corps for most of the season, a quarterback spending most of the season learning to play the position in an entirely new way, and an offensive line built for the run learning to pass block; third straight year in the playoffs.

Niner fans search for reasons to complain. Don't worry, Niner fans. Roman will be gone next season. Despite all our complaining, some very smart football people at an elite Division I college or a pro team really want this guy as a head coach. Go figure!
in my opinion roman is the reason why ck struggled so much. he has no f**king clue how to use his players, now you got gore and ck changing plays so they even know roman is a f**k up.. jesus he does not want to use his run blocking line for running at key times unless is third and four. super bowl, fourth and one from the one vs the panthers. he acts like he is scared to play to the teams strength and then when something works(colts game) he f**king runs from it and the game ends up being much tougher than it should be. he f**king has the ball second and goal from the five in,,,,,, ahhh never mind
Share 49ersWebzone