How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
AB is a man among boys here in the webzone
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
just saw something on facebooks that brooks took another pay cut and posted a tweet that said "Money rules the world, it just dont rule me". I havent seen any sources confirm this but dam if its true brooks just jumped up my list on favorite current 49ers. True team player, cares about the rings and not the green

Hopefully any pay decrease was coupled with another extension. He gets overshadowed by Bow and Willis but he is a bad ass too. This is the best line backing corps we have ever had hands down. 10 years from now we're still gonna be talking about them.

this, I was a little worried that with all the extensions Brooks could be a cap casualty at some point if Lemonier proves worthy to be a starter. Assuming this is true I think it just shows how far Brooks has come as both a person and a player. He obviously sees that this franchise took a chance on him & put in the time/work to develop him and he still appreciates it. He didn't let the fact that he has become a star go to his head, what a great story, from a bonehead in college, a Bengal bust to a star here in SF.

Probably wouldn't do much else on another team. Just goes to show you how good our coaching staff and scheme are.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Probably wouldn't do much else on another team. Just goes to show you how good our coaching staff and scheme are.

I nominate this as the most ignorant post of the year. LOL
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i have no time to figure out this "logic"
some restructures dont mean paycuts but in this case it sounds like this restructure caused him to lose money.

This is the counter point to all of those crying about the 49ers not wanting to sign big time free agents. I don't think guys would be nearly as willing to restructure or even take a pay cut if the 49ers were handing out hefty deals to outside free agents.
Originally posted by cciowa:

Look at other players that did well with us but didn't have much of an impact on other teams

Look at other players that did well with us but didn't have much of an impact on other teams

those are mostly CBs, safeties etc that rely on our dominate front 7. When you can rush the passer & set the edge, well, you can rush the passer and set the edge. Ahmad Brooks is one of, if not the most underrated player in football, he's a top 10 LB who just happens to be the 4th most talked about in our LB group. The only reason you don't hear this guys name more is because he plays beside Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman and Aldon Smith. If Brooks went to pretty much any other team, he would be their best LB period.

those are mostly CBs, safeties etc that rely on our dominate front 7. When you can rush the passer & set the edge, well, you can rush the passer and set the edge. Ahmad Brooks is one of, if not the most underrated player in football, he's a top 10 LB who just happens to be the 4th most talked about in our LB group. The only reason you don't hear this guys name more is because he plays beside Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman and Aldon Smith. If Brooks went to pretty much any other team, he would be their best LB period.

I don't know about that. You put him on the Panther's as an OLB Kuechly is still the best backer on that team for example. Brooks was never really given a chance in the systems before Fangio's. Funny how better coaching staff can see talent then coach it up as opposed to staff prior. Singletary was just a stubborn dumbass that did not promote competition the way Harbs does. And therefore, the staff before missed out on so much potential.
[ Edited by defenderDX on Mar 23, 2014 at 2:14 PM ]

Lol Brooks would be the best LB on half the teams in the league
Brooks is highly underrated on the team because of Bowman and Willis. Some are talking about him sliding inside to take over for Bowman, but I think you keep him where he's at his best. He's big, strong, and fast which is what you need on the outside rushing the QB and covering TEs.

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

this
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by FaTaL:
Yea these are the players who will be niners for life. Screw players like Tbrown and Goldson who just want the green and choose big pay days on sucky teams who will never sniff a superbowl
you have no idea, when a player restructures his deal hes not taking a pay cut

Actually they can restructure and take a pay cut. That's when a player cuts his base salary down, like Baldwin, or Dahl, and gets Not Likely To Be Earned Incentives, which aren't reachable.

If Brooks did this, it means he is a true team player, and he likely got the 49ers to get rid of the de-escalators, those are killing him, lost $1.6M and $900K in past 2 seasons.

The other restructure is lowering base salary, get an up front signing bonus, which prorates over the length of the deal, 5 years max, like Steelers, Cowboys, Saints have been doing. That's immediate savings. The 49ers aren't known for those deals. They don't like tying up future money when not needed. Not sure why they would do this for Brooks, it has to be a pay cut. There is no way they will pay DeSean Jackson 10M a year. I pray it's for a guy like Kap or Crabs. Cully maybe but he could lower base salary back to $645K and use difference and some for signing bonus, similar to what Bruce Miller probably did.

AB, do you think he got an extension to go along with any pay cut/restructuring of his contract?

If this happened, which I can't seem to get confirmed, I think it would be a pay cut, not sure they would tie up future cap room. They(Baalke) have said they wouldn't restructure a deal, so that way they wouldn't tie up future dollars. But If the team believes he is a 49ers that can play at a high level for a good amount, and he is a FA after 2017, which is 4 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if they did so.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
Brooks is highly underrated on the team because of Bowman and Willis. Some are talking about him sliding inside to take over for Bowman, but I think you keep him where he's at his best. He's big, strong, and fast which is what you need on the outside rushing the QB and covering TEs.

I think he could move inside on certain plays A. Because of our great backup OLBs and B because I think he's better than Wilhoite in short yardage and goal line situations.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Don't know that. :/
I actually really like Wilhoite and what he showed early last year. Brooks could move inside for sure on some plays and give time to Lemonier.
Share 49ersWebzone