LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 162 users in the forums

What deal could get us Asante Samuel?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Bump since he may end up being the odd man out in Philly.

I wouldn't trade for him, but if doesn't make the roster, I'm game.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Bump since he may end up being the odd man out in Philly.

I wouldn't trade for him, but if doesn't make the roster, I'm game.

+1. I'd take him if he got cut.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

He really doesn't fit how we play though. He takes risk... like Clements did. Now a lot of the times that's why he got all those ints (Samuel) but then he also got burned a lot. We play keep everything in front of you, make them earn their yards and then clamp down in the red zone. Sure he brings us ints but we had a few plays this year with Goldson and Whitner going for the int instead of the tackle and it hurts because I know we would have held them to a field goal or less.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
He really doesn't fit how we play though. He takes risk... like Clements did. Now a lot of the times that's why he got all those ints (Samuel) but then he also got burned a lot. We play keep everything in front of you, make them earn their yards and then clamp down in the red zone. Sure he brings us ints but we had a few plays this year with Goldson and Whitner going for the int instead of the tackle and it hurts because I know we would have held them to a field goal or less.

yea he plays great in zone schemes and jumps routes when he recognizes them. we play too much man for Samuel to be effective.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

See to me now Samuel would have made those plays that Goldson and Whitner screwed up.
See to me now Samuel would have made those plays that Goldson and Whitner screwed up.

Not sure what you mean because those guys are safeties... are you saying Samuel wouldn't have been trailing and gave up the pass in the 1st place? What I was saying is we don't want plays like what Goldson did and Whitner did where they went for the pick and missed... kind of like what Samuel does. We would have been better off if they weren't sure they could get the pick to just play for the tackle. Then we clamp down and they get 3 points, possibly 0 instead of a free td.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
yea he plays great in zone schemes and jumps routes when he recognizes them. we play too much man for Samuel to be effective.
Kind of why Nnamdi isn't fitting well with the Eagles. Wasn't he always a man guy in Oakland and now they are asking him to play zone in Philly? He's an aggressive corner and one of his main weapons is jamming the WR and playing physical.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

Not sure what you mean because those guys are safeties... are you saying Samuel wouldn't have been trailing and gave up the pass in the 1st place? What I was saying is we don't want plays like what Goldson did and Whitner did where they went for the pick and missed... kind of like what Samuel does. We would have been better off if they weren't sure they could get the pick to just play for the tackle. Then we clamp down and they get 3 points, possibly 0 instead of a free td.

I didn't mean he'd be playing in their position and do it

I meant where Goldson and Whitner try to go for pick plays, or jump the throw, etc. and miss, Samuel seems more likely to do it and succeed.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
is it possible we don't resign Rogers and instead sign Samuel?
Originally posted by Paul:
is it possible we don't resign Rogers and instead sign Samuel?

Rather keep Rogers. For the most part he was lockdown all season until he met up against Cruz, he's smarter, and a little bigger. Samuel would just be for the slot WRs IMO. Kind of like how GB uses Charles Woodson. I prefer TBrown and Rogers to Samuel to be honest.

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Rather keep Rogers. For the most part he was lockdown all season until he met up against Cruz, he's smarter, and a little bigger. Samuel would just be for the slot WRs IMO. Kind of like how GB uses Charles Woodson. I prefer TBrown and Rogers to Samuel to be honest.

Ya like you said he doesn't really fit our scheme we play too much zone for him .. plus hes getting old and would probably want to still get paid
Free agent contract
Share 49ersWebzone