NFL considers kickoffs at 35-yard line, touchbacks to 25-yard line

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
mattbarrows

Looks like league has passed a rule change that puts kickoffs at the 35. Touchback remains at the 20 ...

good!

Where was the kickoff before ? 30 ?

yup

Thats pretty dumb rule change for the NFL considering they want more scoring. I guess they want fewer kick returns, they might as well just ban kickoffs all together.

It's all a business move disguised as player safety. Fewer kick return's equal's more opportunities for your qb to play. And more chances for the NFl to sell and prop up qb's.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
mattbarrows

Looks like league has passed a rule change that puts kickoffs at the 35. Touchback remains at the 20 ...

good!

Where was the kickoff before ? 30 ?

yup

Thats pretty dumb rule change for the NFL considering they want more scoring. I guess they want fewer kick returns, they might as well just ban kickoffs all together.

It's all a business move disguised as player safety. Fewer kick return's equal's more opportunities for your qb to play. And more chances for the NFl to sell and prop up qb's.

Frankly, I think the league has no idea how to prioritize things:

1. They moved the starting point for kickoffs from the 35 to the 30 in 1994 because the NFL had one of its lowest-scoring seasons in 1993. This was to generate more excitement, longer kickoff returns, and better field position for teams, thus making it "easier" for offenses to score (of course, the Niners back then probably couldn't have cared...they could score from anywhere).

2. 17 years later, they're back to where they started in the name of "player safety". Yet, they're asking for 2 more games...

What's going to happen if scoring dips? Will they change the kickoff rules again? The league has always promoted the game to be fast-paced, exciting, and bursts of scoring and offense, but this might slow the scoring down.

Right now, I think the bigwigs need to work on getting a new CBA rather than instituting new rule changes. Without a new deal, these rule changes are rendered moot.

Can we please get some competent people in charge of the league? Am I missing something here?
Devin Hester should get his salary cut now since this rule has now reduced his impact.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Devin Hester should get his salary cut now since this rule has now reduced his impact.

They had him and Cribbs on the espn today and they are both pissed off by the change.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I wonder what the NFL will be like in 20 years
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I wonder what the NFL will be like in 20 years

To me, the NFL is unique in the sense that there are constant rules changes as the game progresses. This contrasts quite a bit against other contact sports such as rugby and hockey which don't have nowhere near as many rule changes. I personally think that that the NFL is over-regulated, but that's just me.

To answer your question, I don't that we'll know. If you look at what football was 20 years ago, and then 20 years prior to that, it was a completely different game. If we were to fast forward 20 years, I think that it will again be something completely foreign.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone