LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 204 users in the forums

Sources: NFLPA wants draft boycott

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I find it really curious that Hessian is one of the few here who has sided with the NFLPA*.

-9fA

why is it curious? i always err on the side of labor, and the details of this situation have done nothing to dissuade me from that. in terms of the draft boycott, as I said, I don't like it, but I understand why it was suggested by the NFLPA* (nice touch, by the way).

Curious in the sense that you're the only person who has taken player's position on this situation. Oh and I wish I could take credit for the asterisk, but I got it from PFT.

-9fA

I'm with Hessian on this one, and I'm a business owner. Owners have basically said, take a pay cut or stay home. Why would any current, or future player show up at a NFL party? Good for them, I think this actually helps them get back on the table and make a deal before the draft.

I hope that's what they are trying to force. Last thing the NFL wants is for there tv product to look horrible. Their tv contracts is what is driving the league right now. I'm sure ESPN is calling beefing if the millions they put into the draft comes off looking like a total waste of money. Then you will have the advertisers who [paid for spots on ESPN and NFLN having a problem as well. This tactic along with the ruling on April 6th hopefully will force these clowns to come to an agreement.
I don't know about you but I'd enjoy the draft more without the players. You've seen one athlete interview you've seen them all. When I'm watching the draft I prefer hearing the experts break down the picks.

If I was the union though I'd want them there. There's alot of ways you can have them voice their support for the union while still letting them and their families enjoy what they worked their whole lives for.
f**k the union! I can't even say that I'm surprised by this though. If I was getting drafted in the 1st, I'd be there with my family and I'd proudly walk across that stage to pose with my team jersey.

This is just getting ridiculous. The owners gave in on nearly all their demands and they still walked away.

This whole DeMaurice Smith crusade is wearing my patience with the NFL and even moreso with these selfish players. Smith is merely a trial lawyer trying to get everything he can for his "clients". He doesn't care about football or the fans.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I find it really curious that Hessian is one of the few here who has sided with the NFLPA*.

-9fA

why is it curious? i always err on the side of labor, and the details of this situation have done nothing to dissuade me from that. in terms of the draft boycott, as I said, I don't like it, but I understand why it was suggested by the NFLPA* (nice touch, by the way).

Curious in the sense that you're the only person who has taken player's position on this situation. Oh and I wish I could take credit for the asterisk, but I got it from PFT.

-9fA

I'm with Hessian on this one, and I'm a business owner. Owners have basically said, take a pay cut or stay home. Why would any current, or future player show up at a NFL party? Good for them, I think this actually helps them get back on the table and make a deal before the draft.

I hope that's what they are trying to force. Last thing the NFL wants is for there tv product to look horrible. Their tv contracts is what is driving the league right now. I'm sure ESPN is calling beefing if the millions they put into the draft comes off looking like a total waste of money. Then you will have the advertisers who [paid for spots on ESPN and NFLN having a problem as well. This tactic along with the ruling on April 6th hopefully will force these clowns to come to an agreement.

Yea, let's pray. I understand NFLPA for draft boycott. NFL and players should strike a deal before the draft for the players to show up at the draft. Also, if players aren't there - it's not THAT big a deal for me as a viewer, but ESPN has to be a little upset with the proceedings. Hopefully, that puts pressure on both sides - players will be losing some marketing deals as well if they don't show up.
Originally posted by strickac:
f**k the union! I can't even say that I'm surprised by this though. If I was getting drafted in the 1st, I'd be there with my family and I'd proudly walk across that stage to pose with my team jersey.

This is just getting ridiculous. The owners gave in on nearly all their demands and they still walked away.

This whole DeMaurice Smith crusade is wearing my patience with the NFL and even moreso with these selfish players. Smith is merely a trial lawyer trying to get everything he can for his "clients". He doesn't care about football or the fans.

Agreed! This guy does not care about football at all. He is probably an excellent lawyer, which is bad for the NFL. He probably has every legal step laid out. Probably yapping something like...
"If they lock us out, we will file an injunction"
"A what?"
"Don't worry, it will get you the most money in the long run"
"What is the injunction fails?"
"It won't, but if it does, we do this..."

I am hoping them not getting Judge Doty, which the NFLPA supposedly highly desired makes a differenc in the outcome. This whole mess is frustrating and really screwing the fans.

Fans watch the combine, the draft, OTA, mini-camps, training camps, etc etc. If you take that away, there is likely repercusssions from angry fans regardless if we miss no games. I cannot name another sport which has so much offseason fan support...

But back to the point, this is a sh***y move from the NFLPA. These kids have wanted this since they started in pee-wee football, and you want to take that away from them? ridiculous!

[ Edited by SJniner7 on Mar 21, 2011 at 09:43:55 ]
The one reason I like this is that the NFLPA has filed saying the Draft is illegal without a NFLPA/NFL agreement which it is.

Once they void the union the draft is illegal and it is not supposed to take place. I hope the courts decide the union isn't a union anymore and the draft can't take place when they declare the lockout illegal.

The NFLPA is trying to stop the players from going because it would be participating in a illegal activity without a contract and a union.
AdamSchefter

It's Adrian Clayborn plus one. Alabama WR Julio Jones told @AdamSchein and Jim Miller that he has been invited to and will attend the draft.
Originally posted by valrod33:
AdamSchefter

It's Adrian Clayborn plus one. Alabama WR Julio Jones told @AdamSchein and Jim Miller that he has been invited to and will attend the draft.

I feel bad for Clayborn. He's very likely going to have to sit and wait until the 2nd round before his name is called. He might get lucky and be snagged in the later third of the 1st round, but he's got a lot of mini-knocks that I think push him outside the first.
FYI: NFLPA decided not to interfere with the draft.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-Players-Association-wont-hold-rival-NFL-draft-event-032811

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-28/nflpa-wont-hold-competing-draft-event
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
FYI: NFLPA decided not to interfere with the draft.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-Players-Association-wont-hold-rival-NFL-draft-event-032811

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-28/nflpa-wont-hold-competing-draft-event

Told you!

edit: not you personally.

[ Edited by Shorteous on Mar 29, 2011 at 20:50:44 ]

mortreport

Filed to ESPN: Von Miller told me he'll be in court next Thurs. as only rookie plaintiff AND will attend draft, shake R. Goodell's hand
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
mortreport

Filed to ESPN: Von Miller told me he'll be in court next Thurs. as only rookie plaintiff AND will attend draft, shake R. Goodell's hand

hypocrite
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by susweel:
mortreport

hypocrite

It's such a strange football world we are currently in.
AdamSchefter

Twenty-five players, including Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert, are expected to attend Thursday night's draft.
AdamSchefter

Twenty-five players, including Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert, are expected to attend Thursday night's draft.

That's a lot. I hope some expect to be there on Friday as well.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone