LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 241 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Jed & Baalke are gonna lock Jim down to a lifetime sort of deal; Jim is just being smart, knows the best time to cash-in. The 49ers are looking at three straight 11+ win seasons under him, and maybe even 3 (back-to-back) Divisional round appearances, that puts a lot of guff on the table.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Jed & Baalke are gonna lock Jim down to a lifetime sort of deal; Jim is just being smart, knows the best time to cash-in. The 49ers are looking at three straight 11+ win seasons under him, and maybe even 3 (back-to-back) Divisional round appearances, that puts a lot of guff on the table.

Man I sure do hope so. They need to get on it now too.

One thing that concerns me is how quickly things can change in this league. 1 year ago everything was honkey-dory in Redskins land, with RGIII, Shanny, and Snyder on the same page, and the team seeingly transitioning into a new powerhouse for years to come. And look what one playoff game has done to that organization now.

I'm not saying that will happen to us, but it's a scary thought.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Jim isn't going anywhere, he's way too competitive. He would look dumb to go back to coaching college while Pete Carroll competes for SBs. All the seahawks fans would laugh and call him a coward for quitting the rivalry.

Agree. I can't recall a single successful NFL HC who left their job so they could go back to college. Harbaugh has trained all his life to be a NFL Head Coach. That's his dream. He turned down more money to coach at his alma mater, Michigan, so he could coach the 49ers. He's been based in the Bay Area for 7+ years now. He's rooted here. He's not going anywhere.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Jim isn't going anywhere, he's way too competitive. He would look dumb to go back to coaching college while Pete Carroll competes for SBs. All the seahawks fans would laugh and call him a coward for quitting the rivalry.

Agree. I can't recall a single successful NFL HC who left their job so they could go back to college. Harbaugh has trained all his life to be a NFL Head Coach. That's his dream. He turned down more money to coach at his alma mater, Michigan, so he could coach the 49ers. He's been based in the Bay Area for 7+ years now. He's rooted here. He's not going anywhere.

Agreed. And there's no denying there's a competition between him and Carroll. If any of these two decide to all of a sudden bounce out the league, the media will eat that up and do everything they can to taint their legacies. It's not about the money at this point for these two, it's about winning at the highest level.
It doesn't make any sense for him to leave.

He's soooooooooooo close to a Super Bowl that so many coaches haven't a chance at. And JH knows it.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter For the record, I don't believe Jim Harbaugh is going anywhere. But I also don't believe he's a long-timer with the 49ers.

So bold. Jim Harbaugh is already near the average tenure of an NFL coach (4.39 years). While most of us would disagree, he's basically saying "I don't think Jim Harbaugh is a Bill Belicheck." :slowjerk: go f**k yourself, Trotter.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Let Harbaugh win the SB and he'll be the highest paid coach in NFL history. All he has to do is get it done.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter For the record, I don't believe Jim Harbaugh is going anywhere. But I also don't believe he's a long-timer with the 49ers.

So bold. Jim Harbaugh is already near the average tenure of an NFL coach (4.39 years). While most of us would disagree, he's basically saying "I don't think Jim Harbaugh is a Bill Belicheck." :slowjerk: go f**k yourself, Trotter.

Is he a SEA homer or somthing?

This reminds me of the Mike Tomlin situation leading up to Pittsburgh's last SB win, going into 2010. Tomlin's contract was two years out, they win the Superbowl, and he got the 'big daddy deal' during the off-season. Owners are hesitant to give out these deals, given all the dead-contract money allotted. Nolan walked away with like 6-8 Mil, right?
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This reminds me of the Mike Tomlin situation leading up to Pittsburgh's last SB win, going into 2010. Tomlin's contract was two years out, they win the Superbowl, and he got the 'big daddy deal' during the off-season. Owners are hesitant to give out these deals, given all the dead-contract money allotted. Nolan walked away with like 6-8 Mil, right?

True that. Nolan and Singletary walked away with some dead-contract money. But Jed has shown he's not cheap. He paid Harbaugh $5 mil annually, which is still a high salary for a 1st time NFL HC. They should work out an extension fairly easily IMO. Both sides want to make it happen. I think most people will say Harbaugh is a better coach than Tomlin too.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Sucks that Harbs is leaving us after this year. Mangini will take over and we will suck again.
MIke Shanahan will be our HC next year.
Originally posted by susweel:
Sucks that Harbs is leaving us after this year. Mangini will take over and we will suck again.

I'd rather see the 49ers retracted from the league entirely.
I just read Jim Trotter's SI article that says Harbaugh turned down a 2 year extension before the season. Did I miss something? I do NOT remember hearing that.
  • dj43
True that. Nolan and Singletary walked away with some dead-contract money. But Jed has shown he's not cheap. He paid Harbaugh $5 mil annually, which is still a high salary for a 1st time NFL HC. They should work out an extension fairly easily IMO. Both sides want to make it happen. I think most people will say Harbaugh is a better coach than Tomlin too.
True, however, the 49er legacy is not about getting into the playoffs and not the Super Bowl, and when you get to the Super Bowl you win it, not flounder helplessly 5 yards from victory.

With this season looking as something of a come down from last year at this point, if Harbaugh is to get a big extension this season, the 49ers are going to have to AT LEAST get back to the Super Bowl, if not win it. I can't see Jed extending him if they go to Philly and lose in the first wild card game, or get thumped in Seattle the next weekend.
Share 49ersWebzone