There are 169 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Some big games? More like every big game as a player or coach in his entire career. That's a fact. Blah blah blah about the Niners post Jim. It's changed nothing about his miserable record in big games.

What do you consider big games?

Super bowl, BCS games, CFP games, regular season games that would propel his team into a higher ranking/rival games like last week. Trying to isolate exact specifics is pointless. He always comes up short when it matters. In is playing and coaching career. Is this really up for debate?

So NFL playoff game is not a big game?
Some big games? More like every big game as a player or coach in his entire career. That's a fact. Blah blah blah about the Niners post Jim. It's changed nothing about his miserable record in big games.

Super bowl, BCS games, CFP games, regular season games that would propel his team into a higher ranking/rival games like last week. Trying to isolate exact specifics is pointless. He always comes up short when it matters. In is playing and coaching career. Is this really up for debate?

champions**ts are so overrated right
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I may be in my 40s but I do vividly remember some pretty big games pre-Harbaugh that other coaches got our team into...Mariucci, Seifert, and of course Walsh before those two. I would say Dick Nolan before Walsh but I was 3 or 4 when those big games vs. the Cowboys happened - don't remember those.

It's interesting how some people put Harbaugh on a pedestal for what he did to help turn around the franchise when he was here. He did an excellent job with getting the team back to big games - he was appreciated - but in my 40 years of being a diehard fan of the team, Harbaugh comes after the above three coaches IMO. Right now, are times tough? Yes, of course. But some of us have been through this even before the Yorks took ownership. Right after I became a fan in the mid-'70s, Eddie D. took over the team and we had to endure consecutive 2-14 seasons! When he became owner, many were wondering who was this guy from Ohio - many were very critical of him in his early days as owner. In my mind, you stick with your team through the thin (such as those 2-14 seasons, now, etc.) and the thick (dynasty years, etc.)...thick and thin, no matter what.

By "pre-Harbaugh" I was referring to the near-decade of suck prior to his arrival, not literally every season prior to 2011. And I've been a fan since mid-70's so I'm well aware of what transpired with Monte Clark, Joe Thomas, etc. etc. Couldn't disagree more if you put Mariucci above Harbaugh.

We'll agree to disagree, as I do with most of the posts I see from you. You're obviously a Harbaugh fan, I'm not. The Niners have always been my #1 team in all of sports...I've followed them extremely closely from as far back as those '70s years...it was great kicking Harbaugh's Bears team's butt when he was the brash QB who talked a bigger game than he could deliver. Couldn't stand him as a player, tolerated his antics as a coach because he was the coach of this team.
My excuse list.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/12/16452336/jim-harbaugh-brady-hoke-michigan-football-stat-paul-finebaum
We'll agree to disagree, as I do with most of the posts I see from you. You're obviously a Harbaugh fan, I'm not. The Niners have always been my #1 team in all of sports...I've followed them extremely closely from as far back as those '70s years...it was great kicking Harbaugh's Bears team's butt when he was the brash QB who talked a bigger game than he could deliver. Couldn't stand him as a player, tolerated his antics as a coach because he was the coach of this team.

Oh dear, I'm crestfallen to learn you disagree with most of my posts. And so gracious of you to have tolerated Harbaugh's antics (and the winning), if only he knew that this good fortune had smiled upon him.
Strange how JH is held to crazy high standards, yet the 49ers are held to Cleveland Brown standards. Nobody is perfect, but the man is a damn good coach and didn't deserve what he got here from ungrateful owners and fans.

Oh dear, I'm crestfallen to learn you disagree with most of my posts. And so gracious of you to have tolerated Harbaugh's antics (and the winning), if only he knew that this good fortune had smiled upon him.

Don't want to derail this thread. If you have an issue with anything I posted, feel free to PM me. If you are definitely a long-time fan of the team through the good and the bad, it's tough for me to understand stuff you post like, "...the 49ers are the same league-wide joke pile of loser s**t now...". Here's another opinion of mine you may not agree with: The 49ers are on the Mt. Rushmore of NFL franchises (along with Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Green Bay).
Don't want to derail this thread. If you have an issue with anything I posted, feel free to PM me. If you are definitely a long-time fan of the team through the good and the bad, it's tough for me to understand stuff you post like, "...the 49ers are the same league-wide joke pile of loser s**t now...". Here's another opinion of mine you may not agree with: The 49ers are on the Mt. Rushmore of NFL franchises (along with Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Green Bay).

Wait, so my being a fan for 40+ years means I should refrain from stating the truth as I see it, which is that this franchise--save for Harbaugh's tenure--has been a steaming pile of fail for well over a decade? And who cares where you place the 49ers, it's based off what they did over a roughly 15-year period that ended over 20 years ago.

Wait, so my being a fan for 40+ years means I should refrain from stating the truth as I see it, which is that this franchise--save for Harbaugh's tenure--has been a steaming pile of fail for well over a decade? And who cares where you place the 49ers, it's based off what they did over a roughly 15-year period that ended over 20 years ago.
so now you just enjoy s**tting on everything 9er and any fan who supports the 9er right, true fan lol

Wild card or divisional games I would say no. Conference championships I would say are "big games". And what was he, 1-2 in those? Then came out completely unprepared in the super bowl.

Sounds like it's exactly like I described.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Oct 12, 2017 at 3:30 PM ]

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

champions**ts are so overrated right

huh? Stoney brought up that Harbaugh can't win big games, not specifically Championships

Harb's coaching (I really couldn't care less about him as a player) record:

Superbowl: 0-1

BCS: 1-0 (Orange Bowl win with Stanford in 2010)

CFP: 0-0

Higher Ranking Games (as defined as games against ranked opponents that significantly matter in rankings):
8-5

2009: Stanford bets #11 USC, #7 Oregon
2010: Stanford beats #13 Arizona and #12 Virginia Tech, loses to #4 Oregon
2015: Michigan beats #13 Northwestern and #19 Florida , loses to #7 Michigan State, Ohio State
2016: Michigan beats #8 Wisconsin, loses to Ohio State and Florida State
2017: Michigan beats Florida

Rivalry: 3-6
Stanford: 2-2 vs. Cal. I don't consider Stanford as having any other rival.
Michigan: 1-4 against Michigan State/Ohio State

NFL Playoffs: 5-2 (excluding Superbowl loss which was already counted)

Jim in big games (as a coach):

17-14

edit: I double counted Michigan State/Ohio State losses. Revised record 17-11.

2nd edit: Okay Stoney, if you take out Divisional/Wild Card, he is 13-11 in your definition of big games.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM ]
Do you consider certain games in the NFL rivalry? I assumed you just meant college rivalry games.
I might consider games against the Seahawks "rivalry games" during his time with the 49ers. What was his record vs them? 1-7 in the regular season? 0-1 in the playoffs?
Do you consider certain games in the NFL rivalry? I assumed you just meant college rivalry games.
to me , Big games are the win or go home games. Bowl games.. anyone can make it to those
I might consider games against the Seahawks "rivalry games" during his time with the 49ers. What was his record vs them? 1-7 in the regular season? 0-1 in the playoffs?

I will say one thing is clear, Harbs sucks in rivalries. 2-2 against Cal. 1-2 against MSU. 0-2 against Ohio State. And the Seahawks record.
Share 49ersWebzone