LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 143 users in the forums

Jake Plummer SI Article

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
holy s**t. I totally forgot about that dude.

How? His moustache was most epic!
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
holy s**t. I totally forgot about that dude.

How? His moustache was most epic!

Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Great article Thanks. Bill Walsh loved this guy as I recall.

Yea...but Jake Plummer for average at best. Bill Walsh started to lose some of his touch in mid-late 90s.

Or Plummer spent most his career in crappy situations. Arizona and Denver post Elway/Davis isnt exactly a breeding ground for success.

who knows, maybe Joe Montana ends up a "decent" QB if he was drafted somewhere else. Dont question Walsh's eye if you werent able to see the result.

To me what really messed him up is Denver makes the AFC title game and then the next year despite Plummer in his early 30's they draft Cutler in the top 15.

And they benched him for cutler when they had a 7-3 record or something. Then they finish 9-7 under cutler.
Just got a hold of a Sports Illustrated tonight. The article was fantastic. He seems like a really chill guy.
I've always been a Jake the Snake fan.
Didn't read this lengthy article. Was there anything in it about his romantic thing for under-age girls? My understanding is that this under-reported aspect contributed greatly to Plummer's early exit from the NFL.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Didn't read this lengthy article. Was there anything in it about his romantic thing for under-age girls? My understanding is that this under-reported aspect contributed greatly to Plummer's early exit from the NFL.

really? I never heard anything about that.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I didn't read the article, but...

I know he was dating one of the Broncos cheerleaders and the team fined him for it, but he kept openly seeing her. He was viewed as a hippie and he was very overrated, IMO.

He played in a very QB-friendly offense, but he always choked when the game was on the line. The fans didn't like him and there were always reports of other players talking out against him to the media.

His personality just didn't mesh with the NFL. Rather than dealing with the pressure of playing in the league, he preferred to drive off into the sunset in his Honda Element. He didn't need the money and no one really care that he left, so I don't blame him for leaving football.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Great article Thanks. Bill Walsh loved this guy as I recall.

Yea...but Jake Plummer for average at best. Bill Walsh started to lose some of his touch in mid-late 90s.

Yeah he really must of lost something to say we should take Jake Plummer with our late first round pick over Jim Druckenmiller.

Look, I love Walsh - but I don't need to distort his record for it. Later in his career, he drafted quite a few busts.

1. Reggie McGrew (1st rd)
2. Ahmad Plummer (1st rd)
3. Engelberger (top of 2nd rd)
4. Webster - was below average for a mid-2nd rounder
5. Carmazzi - top of 3rd
6. Winborn - (early 2nd round)

Not to mention, Terry Donahue was hand-picked by Walsh.

The man owned in the 80s like no other coach owned a decade in the Superbowl era, but there is no question that he didn't do very well as the 49ers GM in late 90s and early part of the 2000s.

Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I didn't read the article, but...

I know he was dating one of the Broncos cheerleaders and the team fined him for it, but he kept openly seeing her. He was viewed as a hippie and he was very overrated, IMO.

He played in a very QB-friendly offense, but he always choked when the game was on the line. The fans didn't like him and there were always reports of other players talking out against him to the media.

His personality just didn't mesh with the NFL. Rather than dealing with the pressure of playing in the league, he preferred to drive off into the sunset in his Honda Element. He didn't need the money and no one really care that he left, so I don't blame him for leaving football.

you should read the article. he seems like a pretty grounded dude. i actually have a lot of respect for him.
Very complimentary article .

Wonder if the following is true.

wikipedia:

On March 23, 1997 Plummer became the subject of controversy when he was accused of fondling three women at a Tempe, Arizona night club called Club Rio. The women stated to police that Plummer reached under their skirts and down their pants while dancing with them and consuming alcohol. When one of the women confronted him, he allegedly kicked her in the leg. Plummer was formally charged on May 28, 1997 with felony sexual abuse. He later struck a plea bargain and received two years probation. He was also fined $1,020 and ordered to perform 100 hours of community service

Could not find anything about him cavorting with underage women.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Very complimentary article .

Wonder if the following is true.

wikipedia:

On March 23, 1997 Plummer became the subject of controversy when he was accused of fondling three women at a Tempe, Arizona night club called Club Rio. The women stated to police that Plummer reached under their skirts and down their pants while dancing with them and consuming alcohol. When one of the women confronted him, he allegedly kicked her in the leg. Plummer was formally charged on May 28, 1997 with felony sexual abuse. He later struck a plea bargain and received two years probation. He was also fined $1,020 and ordered to perform 100 hours of community service

Could not find anything about him cavorting with underage women.

they mentioned that in the article, briefly, without too much detail. lol @ "he kicked her in the leg."

i mean, that's not cool, obviously, but in the 14 years since it seems that he's developed a pretty good head on his shoulders.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
just by that article it seemed like the players were for him and didn't even want Shanahan to start Cutler that season. You have to give credit to a guy who'd rather walk away on his own than just keeping himself in the spotlight. I actually think he would have done really well if he went to & actually played for Tampa. Guess we will never know
Share 49ersWebzone