LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 212 users in the forums

Singletary hired as LB Coach for the Vikings

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS -- Former San Francisco head coach Mike Singletary is joining former teammate Leslie Frazier on his staff in Minnesota.

Singletary's agent, Bob LaMonte, confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Tuesday that Singletary will be the linebackers coach and assistant head coach under Frazier with the Vikings. Singletary told ESPN 1000 in Chicago during a radio interview earlier in the day he's coming to Minnesota.

"I will be in Minnesota with Les," Singletary told "The Waddle & Silvy Show." "I will be a linebackers coach/assistant head coach."

Link

[ Edited by jrg on Jan 18, 2011 at 18:48:17 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Leslie Frazier and Singletary were teammates on the Bears. Makes sense and its a great fit.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Mike Sando reporting it
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Great hire for the Vikings

Singletary is a very good LB coach, just not qualified to be a head coach.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
Great hire for the Vikings

Singletary is a very good LB coach, just not qualified to be a head coach.
No big surprise here since he's best buds with Leslie Frasier from their days in Chicago, but its just funny to hear his name in NFL circles so soon after being fired.

But it says alot about how he views himself to not even look at a coordinator's job but instead going down to a position coach after being a HC.

My how the mighty have fallen.
sad
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Thats a job he is suited for.
Good for him...they can look at the Old Wooden Cross every week...
NFL talk b***hes

Originally posted by susweel:

That is a stretch. The LB position is more science now, less pure emotion. More complex pass protections and blitzes. More sophisticated blocking schemes designed to keep star LBs off of the runners. Is he up to that level of understanding and teaching, or is he simply going to motivate them up?
So much for Alex Smith going to Minn.
Originally posted by carlgo:
Originally posted by susweel:

That is a stretch. The LB position is more science now, less pure emotion. More complex pass protections and blitzes. More sophisticated blocking schemes designed to keep star LBs off of the runners. Is he up to that level of understanding and teaching, or is he simply going to motivate them up?

Look at Patrick Willis' rookie season for that answer. LB coach is exactly what Sing is suited for.
He can't be a coordinator because he doesn't have a scheme, defensive plays/stunts/etc. that he runs and installs. He's not an "X's and O's" guy.

I don't doubt his ability to soundly teach the linebacker position and its technicalities though. That's what his strength is.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
NFL talk b***hes
Share 49ersWebzone