There are 199 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think he will has an awesome season from now on, and at the final, he will leave the 9ers and go to other team and make it there better.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by wzbannedit:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.
I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.

The point is that there is no way anyone (sports analyst, fan, etc.) could justify an "upgrade" for Smith over Rivers. Rivers has a proven track record. He's taken his team to the playoffs, not to mention bring them into playoff contention during a losing season. Those things alone make him better than Smith, even if you're a Smith supporter.

Agreed. Rivers is the guy in San Diego. It's delusional to think Rivers is "out" and Smith could be "in." That's just ridiculous.

And yet, it will happen. AJ Smith is already showing that he's not above cutting high priced players who do not perform.

And what people CONSISTENTLY blow off is that Norv and Alex have a good working relationship and both have continued their friendship long after Norv bolted on us.

Also if Smith doesn't want to be part of this crap team you think that Rivers would want to end up here?

Rivers is looked at as > Eli Manning. Yet Manning has a ring and Rivers don't.

And Rivers has had continuity all through his Offense. Smith has not. I'm not being a homer here. I think that it is perfectly reasonable that Smith could end up in San Diego and take over there.

I mean how many of you older guys who witnessed us having Plunkett during the Thomas era, would ever have thought Plunkett would be a multiple ring holder?

Not one of you. Be honest. Not a bloomin one of you. He left and went to Oakland, lo and he has a copuple Lombardis to his credit.

So stop talkin out your asses people, you have no frigging clue about the future. Nor do I. I just don't live in the closed minded area anymore, and choose to look at the big picture.

To state unequivicably that Rivers is > Smith is pure blatherscype.

Especially when you know ALL the issues involved with this pathetic team.

I find it even funnier that some people here say that we who support Smith should kick him to the curb because your ignorant opinion matters more. Take that crap and shove it in your laundry hamper cause that opinion smells like a big turd and needs to be cleaned up.

Take your attitudes and kick rocks. If you won't root for Smith then you do not root for the team and to me that says everything I need to know about you as fans. Because while you may not be impressed with Smith or hate him or are tired of the "project", you still have to support the team in it's effort to Win. If you don't get that now you will NEVER get it.

~Ceadder

PS. I still have not seen ONE person state with supporting facts that Rivers is a permanent fixture in San Diego and that Smith couldn't POSSIBLY replace him.

Still waiting I might add.

How about the overlooked facts that A.J. Smith calls the shots in San Diego, so a prior relationship with Norv Turner (whose on the hot seat himself) wouldn't have any bearing.

Most importantly Rivers is in the second year of a 6 yr $92 million $38 million guaranteed contract.

Rivers is currently leading the league in yardage (Alex Smith ranks 10th), tied for 2nd in TDs and has the 3rd highest QB rating. He's done this without his #1 WR, LT, and sacked more times to Alex Smith.

The facts speak for themselves.

Stats dont matter to Ceadder. Smith has "potential" and that alone makes him a HOFer.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont think he would be that hard to replace.

If QBs better than Alex Smith were easy to find, about 15 teams in the league would have a better QB.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

If QBs better than Alex Smith were easy to find, about 15 teams in the league would have a better QB.

The question is can he be consistent enough to be worth resigning. We already know he is a Niner at heart.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The question is can he be consistent enough to be worth resigning. We already know he is a Niner at heart.

My somewhat rhetorical question is and has always been, how can he be consistent if every other offensive aspect is so terribly inconsistent?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oldman9er:

My somewhat rhetorical question is and has always been, how can he be consistent if every other offensive aspect is so terribly inconsistent?

Yes that may be true but sooner or later he has to take ownership of his career. You cant keep blaming everything on the offensive system.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
An interesting scenario would be Alex having, not necessarily a Pro-Bowl/Superb finish, but a very good quality run to close the season.....Based on this, the 49ers offer him a contract......BUT......so do the New England Patriots or Indianapolis Colts where he'd immediately upgrade their backup QB spots AND get whatever lessons he can from Brady/Manning before taking over the ballclub around age 29/30....................
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Longtime 49er Faithful from Toronto Canada by the way. Nice to meet y'all.
I used to write for the 'Zone back in 1997/98.

GO NINERS

[ Edited by SaksV on Oct 23, 2010 at 12:38:18 ]
Originally posted by SaksV:
An interesting scenario would be Alex having, not necessarily a Pro-Bowl/Superb finish, but a very good quality run to close the season.....Based on this, the 49ers offer him a contract......BUT......so do the New England Patriots or Indianapolis Colts where he'd immediately upgrade their backup QB spots AND get whatever lessons he can from Brady/Manning before taking over the ballclub around age 29/30....................

Alex knows the Niners situation better than any of us but from the outside looking in it seems to me that the latter choice would be the best for him. I just don't see how he could have confidence that the Yorks will be able to stablize the franchise. His good friend Shaun Hill already has said he was glad to be out of that "disfunctional" situation. My guess is that this has to be a pretty strong temptation for Alex.

[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 23, 2010 at 12:44:20 ]

The fantasy world part is Smith being worth re-signing.

QBs as mediocre as Smith are not hard to find. Why does he have this legend surrounding him that he is good?
Some people have this false illusion that other team management would be lining out the door wanting to sign this guy!

Good Luck on that!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Yes that may be true but sooner or later he has to take ownership of his career. You cant keep blaming everything on the offensive system.

This is true, but really I think we are all going to find that oncfe Smith goes, unless Peyton Manning or Tom Brady walk through that door, that the team is still going to struggle, and the problems will continue. Smith is obviously not the guy (there are only maybe five of them in the league) that can overcome poor or inconsistent situations and still lead a team to the playoffs. There are other types of players who can thrive when in a good situation. It seems like Smith is that type of player. I can understand wanting to move on from an emotional level. It has been a long time, and it gets old to lose. Smith has not been good consistently notwithstanding the difficult circumstances. Bring in a new QB though, and he better be a true Franchise QB, or the same thing will happen with him.

I think what a lot of Smith apologists have been saying is that it might be smarter (I am saying with or without the man at this point) to build up the other aspects of the team, and get the proper groundwork in place for real success. Then you have a much better chance of having the next QB (who will most likely not be a top 5 QB either) being put in a situation where he can more easily succeed.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Some people have this false illusion that other team management would be lining out the door wanting to sign this guy!

Good Luck on that!

we can only hope someone "outbids" our management in getting the guy.

we can't over spend on a QB who needs a Probowl RB, ProBowl TE, 1st round Draft Pick WR,....and apparently as some of his fanboys demand now, a ProBowl Oline...

as well as a ProBowl defense to keep the game close, ALL 4 qtrs.

as well as a OC/HC that will let him play in the Shotgun Spread all game...

I don't think we should overspend on that type of player...let alone sign a new QB who needs that too.

there are other QBs who are doing much more, with much less....those are the types of QBs we need.
Share 49ersWebzone