There are 188 users in the forums

Sebastian Janikowski

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Why is it that none of those guys have made more fifty yarders than Sebass the last two years? Or even last year? And why do they have worse accuracy from that range than Janikowski? Are you sure of your selections?

Sebastian Janikowski hasn't kicked a meaningful field goal in seven years.

How is that an endorsement for Nedney? He hasn't either. Besides, Janikowski is coming off of a career year while Nedney is on the continual decline.
It is the power we need. Generating touchbacks on kickoffs is a big deal. That is the hidden yardage that can determine the outcome of a game.

Did you die a little bit inside when Nedney kicked that tocuhback last night?
How is that an endorsement for Nedney? He hasn't either. Besides, Janikowski is coming off of a career year while Nedney is on the continual decline.

I thought we were talking about the top five kickers we'd want with three seconds left and down by 3 points?

Nedney isn't on my list, but he's above Janikowski.
well they passed up shaun alexander for him.
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
LOL

1st round pick on a kicker!!!!!!

thats like taking a kicker in the 1st round of fantasy football

dude isnt even a top 5 kicker

Three seconds left, down by 3 points, and you need a fifty plus yard kick from your kicker to send this game to OT, name the five kickers your taking over Sebass.

I might actually consider Nedney in this case because of his long range % - but yeah, Sebs def. has the long range power advantage

lol...

How about someone with a credible opinion? Janikowski has twice the leg of Nedney and is much more accurate from distance. In the past two seasons Nedney is only 66% from beyond 40 yards... on top of that, he just shanked a 30 yarder against the Raiders while Sebass knocked down a 57 yarder that would have been good from 70.

Sebs only has a 5% difference over his career from 50+
Nedney has been around way longer and is old. (More stats to factor in)

I am not being a homer but Janikowski is a shanker too - he just has all the power in the world

It is the power we need. Generating touchbacks on kickoffs is a big deal. That is the hidden yardage that can determine the outcome of a game.

The long snapper can also determine the outcome of a game, but you dont reach in the 1st round for one.

NO ONE was going to pick him at number 16 and they could have traded down to get him at least a round later
Originally posted by dhp318:

Shaun Alexander would have been a nobody if he didn't run behing Jones and Hutchinson.

Shaun Alexander would have been a nobody if he didn't run behing Jones and Hutchinson.

so true
Jano has been a average kicker his entire career.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Jano has been a average kicker his entire career.

Weird. Was he average last year when he made 90% of his FGs while leading the league in 50+ yard makes? This thread is full of ignorance and Sebastian hate.
The stats the previous 8 seasons more then speak for themselves. 5 of his 10 seasons he has been below 80% in FG accuracy. Thats bad!

2008 he was the 28th ranked kicker in accuracy%
2007 he was the 31st ranked kicker in accuracy %
2006 he was the 28th ranked kicker in accuracy%

Ok you were right about one think I was ignorant. Let me revise my statement.
For much of Sebastian Janikowski career he has been less then average and is widely considered a 1st round disappointment but had a nice season in 2009.

If we are going to talk about any special teamer drafted in 2000 by the raiders lets talk about the real star and possible future HOF Shane Lechler.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Sep 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM ]

+1 to the don't draft kickers high argument.

so true

a player that touches the ball twenty plus times vs a player that touches the ball maybe 10 times, take your pick
But Janikowski embodies the Raider mentality perfectly.

How many other kickers in this league got busted with the date rape drug? None.
Since this guy was drafted in the first round by the Raiders, I've been a fan. Be honest now, you've got to admire a kicker who commands a first round draft pick, even by Al Davis. And before we move ahead, let me say that I don't care about his off the field bar fighting routine. In fact, I think I admire it. Kickers are known for being pansies, but not the Pollock kicker that sports the black and silver.

I'm sure many of you were laughing at the Raiders in 2000, but I think we can all admit those laughs were mistaken at this point. No? Take a look at some our first round picks since 2000 that are no longer around and can be considered busts at this point in history.

2008 - Kentwan Balmer
2004 - Rashuan Woods
2003 - Kwame Harris
2002 - Mike Rumph

With that in mind, does it seem all that ridiculous to take a kicker who can literally boot the ball out of the back of the endzone with little effort in hurricane force winds, in the first round? He has been doing that for a decade now along with kicking balls through the uprights from fifty plus yards with ease.

At 32, I wouldn't be upset if the 49ers shipped a third round pick to the Raiders today for this guy. What he would add to our special teams would definitely payoff this season, and probably for at least another five or six years after that. And by all accounts, we're chasing Lombardi Trophy #6. There is no doubt Janikowski could help out tremendously with that effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHbBIetr0Rg&feature=related

seriously? A third round draft pick for a freaken kicker?

And hes not that good.. He just kicks far..
Shane Lechler though is a stud, probably the only punt I can say is better than Andy Lee..

Originally posted by redrathman:
Why is it that none of those guys have made more fifty yarders than Sebass the last two years? Or even last year? And why do they have worse accuracy from that range than Janikowski? Are you sure of your selections?

Sebastian Janikowski hasn't kicked a meaningful field goal in seven years.

Really? is that why he had the 2nd highest Kick Accuracy % in the league last year?

[ Edited by CrAnKD4TCRabTree on Sep 8, 2010 at 17:31:49 ]
Originally posted by kujon11:

so true

a player that touches the ball twenty plus times vs a player that touches the ball maybe 10 times, take your pick

A player who makes a difference in a game versus a player who rides the coattails of others and falls down to avoid contact at the end of runs. Yes, I'd take Janikowski. But no, I would never take a kicker in the first round... and I've never made that argument in this thread, nor has anyone else.
Share 49ersWebzone