There are 244 users in the forums

Marcellus Wiley says NFL culture still has "no tolerance" for homosexuality

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by kray28:
Hearst got in trouble just a short decade ago for basically saying the same thing in a slightly less diplomatic fashion....he was roasted by the NFL, the media, and the team and forced to apologize.

But the truth is that while the NFL is happy to pay political lip service to the gay community, it has unwritten rules about what basically amounts to a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy when it comes to homosexuals in the locker room.

A certain component of a player's success is political...the coach and your peers have to like you enough to want to play with you. Being gay basically limits that possibility totally and completely. So if you re in fact gay, you better not let them know.

Someone has to break the barrier, man. It was the same for black players at one time too. Someone will eventually!

but homosexuality isnt a race its a choice, thats y they will never break the barrier.

I'm sorry, I respect alot of opinions of other people on the Webzone, but I think it is offensive to society to think that being gay is a choice! I have several friends who I know from when I was in college that are gay. Believe me, it isn't a choice. And no matter what, I support them 100%! Even gays guys have standards. Much like most men, they don't check out everyone.

lol You're acting like they'd be checking out dudes who are playing dungeons and dragons or whatever. There's a big difference between any random person and an extremely fit and most likely tall athlete. Of course they'd check those guys out.

I'm sorry but it's alot easier for you guys to say "well they should be allowed to be openly gay etc. no matter what because they're having to lie about who they are" and then actually being in a lockerroom with people who are acting or maybe actually are gay. Number one its f**king annoying, number two you get paranoid, and number three its rather awkward. You guys aren't the people who have to deal with it.

As far as crzy's comment how they just get changed etc. and get on their way and get out if they're allowed to be gay, isn't that what the closeted homos do NOW? The main difference is your scenario where they do that creeps everyone in the lockerroom out and they cause a distraction for the team vs they can just keep their stuff private and still do what they want anyway! Just because I like girls doesn't mean I go around telling everyone "YEAH I LIKE TITTIES AND VAGINAS, WOOHOO!", is that me "lying" about who I am? No. If you're just doing business your sexual preferences don't need to be broadcast because it only needs to be your business anyway. I don't see how their sexual preferences have anything to do with their career, other than they want to be openly gay so gay people can be even more popular and they can have more attention.

its a good thing that people with your way of seeing things are a dwindling part of the population.
Originally posted by crzy:
If there can be an active, openly gay or bisexual rugby player who is accepted, then there will eventually be an active, openly gay accepted NFL player or an NBA player.

Someone has to break the barrier. It will happen eventually!

I doubt it. We've only talked about how it would divide a team if they did that. But if they were openly gay can you imagine the harrassment they'd get on the road by opposing fans and opposing players? It's just in their best interest not to flaunt their gayness preference. It's not even like all the other team's fans and players hate gay people, but you know they would harrass that guy just because they'd try to get in his head and want to win. In football you have people injuring eachother intentionally and holding and insulting eachother or doing roids or whatever, just so they can get an edge. You think they wouldn't use the their opponent's homosexuality as a way to get an advantage? Of course they would. They'd be close to ruining their life IMO. And it wouldn't be like how eventually the racism towards black athletes ended, because there wound up being so many of them. No matter what a bunch of gay guys arent ever going to enter the NFL, they'll always be a part of a very small minority.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I think there is plenty of tolerance for a homosexual to play the game.

There is zero tolerance when it comes to a gay person in the LOCKER ROOM. I play adult league hockey every week and I would just consider it to be completely rude for a gay person to dress in the same locker room as me. Go get dressed in the bathroom or in your own locker room and meet us out on the ice. Just like I wouldn't consider it appropriate for a female hockey player to dress in our locker room.

why would it be "rude" to get dressed in the locker room? That's where people get dressed, no?
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I think there is plenty of tolerance for a homosexual to play the game.

There is zero tolerance when it comes to a gay person in the LOCKER ROOM. I play adult league hockey every week and I would just consider it to be completely rude for a gay person to dress in the same locker room as me. Go get dressed in the bathroom or in your own locker room and meet us out on the ice. Just like I wouldn't consider it appropriate for a female hockey player to dress in our locker room.

why would it be "rude" to get dressed in the locker room? That's where people get dressed, no?

I guess I kinda see SDN point... But I could care less who's washing their ass around me. Unless dude starts asking me to wash his back. Then we might have an issue.
Hearst got in trouble just a short decade ago for basically saying the same thing in a slightly less diplomatic fashion....he was roasted by the NFL, the media, and the team and forced to apologize.

But the truth is that while the NFL is happy to pay political lip service to the gay community, it has unwritten rules about what basically amounts to a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy when it comes to homosexuals in the locker room.

A certain component of a player's success is political...the coach and your peers have to like you enough to want to play with you. Being gay basically limits that possibility totally and completely. So if you re in fact gay, you better not let them know.

Someone has to break the barrier, man. It was the same for black players at one time too. Someone will eventually!

but homosexuality isnt a race its a choice, thats y they will never break the barrier.

I'm sorry, I respect alot of opinions of other people on the Webzone, but I think it is offensive to society to think that being gay is a choice! I have several friends who I know from when I was in college that are gay. Believe me, it isn't a choice. And no matter what, I support them 100%! Even gays guys have standards. Much like most men, they don't check out everyone.

lol You're acting like they'd be checking out dudes who are playing dungeons and dragons or whatever. There's a big difference between any random person and an extremely fit and most likely tall athlete. Of course they'd check those guys out.

I'm sorry but it's alot easier for you guys to say "well they should be allowed to be openly gay etc. no matter what because they're having to lie about who they are" and then actually being in a lockerroom with people who are acting or maybe actually are gay. Number one its f**king annoying, number two you get paranoid, and number three its rather awkward. You guys aren't the people who have to deal with it.

As far as crzy's comment how they just get changed etc. and get on their way and get out if they're allowed to be gay, isn't that what the closeted homos do NOW? The main difference is your scenario where they do that creeps everyone in the lockerroom out and they cause a distraction for the team vs they can just keep their stuff private and still do what they want anyway! Just because I like girls doesn't mean I go around telling everyone "YEAH I LIKE TITTIES AND VAGINAS, WOOHOO!", is that me "lying" about who I am? No. If you're just doing business your sexual preferences don't need to be broadcast because it only needs to be your business anyway. I don't see how their sexual preferences have anything to do with their career, other than they want to be openly gay so gay people can be even more popular and they can have more attention.

Dude, are you serious? You're stereotyping people. Not all gay people are the flamboyant, feminine types. That is a misconception. It wouldn't be about seeking attention in most cases. Its about treating people fairly, like human-beings. Its the same for women, african americans, the disabled... need I go on? We (society) all just want the same opportunities. I wish we could learn to get along, to see things from another person's point of view before we make assumptions about something which we don't understand!
[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM ]
If there can be an active, openly gay or bisexual rugby player who is accepted, then there will eventually be an active, openly gay accepted NFL player or an NBA player.

I doubt it. We've only talked about how it would divide a team if they did that. But if they were openly gay can you imagine the harrassment they'd get on the road by opposing fans and opposing players? It's just in their best interest not to flaunt their gayness preference. It's not even like all the other team's fans and players hate gay people, but you know they would harrass that guy just because they'd try to get in his head and want to win. In football you have people injuring eachother intentionally and holding and insulting eachother or doing roids or whatever, just so they can get an edge. You think they wouldn't use the their opponent's homosexuality as a way to get an advantage? Of course they would. They'd be close to ruining their life IMO. And it wouldn't be like how eventually the racism towards black athletes ended, because there wound up being so many of them. No matter what a bunch of gay guys arent ever going to enter the NFL, they'll always be a part of a very small minority.

this might be the dumbest statement in a thread full of really dumb statements.

I don't really see how it's dumb. I mean it's kind of hard to be racist against players when your team has some players of that race, then you start to not like your own team anymore or you start to accept them. Jackie Robinson went through a lot of stuff, but they started accepting more black athletes because teams saw what they could do for their team and they could play, and then when their own teams hired black athletes, they grew on them. I don't see how that is a stupid statement. Sure, it was the RIGHT THING TO DO to accept them because skin color is just a color, but that doesn't mean everyone wanted to until they found that out for themselves. That's just my opinion but whatever. And you didn't even adress the rest of the post, you just picked out one statement and then blanketed the entire post as being stupid.

its a good thing that people with your way of seeing things are a dwindling part of the population.

So because I personally wouldn't be comfortable sharing a lockerroom with gays, and I know people that wouldn't, and I don't think professional athletes would, that means that it's a good thing people who agree with me are dying off or not thinking the same way? I thought that people like you were all about accepting EVERYONE even if you disagree with them personally, not just those who agree with you. That's kind of hypocritical IMO.

I don't really see how it's dumb. I mean it's kind of hard to be racist against players when your team has some players of that race, then you start to not like your own team anymore or you start to accept them. Jackie Robinson went through a lot of stuff, but they started accepting more black athletes because teams saw what they could do for their team and they could play, and then when their own teams hired black athletes, they grew on them. I don't see how that is a stupid statement. Sure, it was the RIGHT THING TO DO to accept them because skin color is just a color, but that doesn't mean everyone wanted to until they found that out for themselves. That's just my opinion but whatever. And you didn't even adress the rest of the post, you just picked out one statement and then blanketed the entire post as being stupid.

racism in sports didn't end once sports became integrated. and integration wasn't a matter of there just "happening to be" a bunch of really good athletes of color. That's why the statement was stupid.

You are right that an openly gay player would have to be incredibly courageous to go against the current NFL culture, which is far, far behind the rest of the culture--which wasn't the case when baseball was integrated. Baseball was in some ways ahead of society on that one. The player would also have to be All-Pro caliber, would have to be great like Robinson was because--and here i'll concede to another correct point of yours--the player would have to be good to be accepted as "one of the team" and not some kind of "distraction."

So yeah, the road to "breaking the barrier" is a tough one and won't happen for awhile, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't, or won't ever, and it doesn't mean that the "no tolerance" of homosexuality in the NFL is reasonable or justifiable in any way, just like the military's position is not justifiable.

So because I personally wouldn't be comfortable sharing a lockerroom with gays, and I know people that wouldn't, and I don't think professional athletes would, that means that it's a good thing people who agree with me are dying off or not thinking the same way? I thought that people like you were all about accepting EVERYONE even if you disagree with them personally, not just those who agree with you. That's kind of hypocritical IMO.

we have a new winner for the dumbest statement in this thread.

Dude, are you serious? You're stereotyping people. Not all gay people are the flamboyant, feminine types. That is a misconception. It wouldn't be about seeking attention in most cases. Its about treating people fairly, like human-beings. Its the same for women, african americans, the disabled... need I go on? We (society) all just want the same opportunities. I wish we could learn to get along, to see things from another person's point of view before we make assumptions about something which we don't understand!

Yeah but they get the same job opportunity as everyone else. I don't even see what women, african americans, and disabled people have to do with gays, except that they're not white republican guys(and I'm not even a republican) or whatever. I mean you're stereotyping everyone disagreeing with you as a middle/upper class white republican or redneck who discriminates or something like that, when most of the people who wouldn't even be comfortable showering with openly gay players would probably be african americans, because they're the majority in the NFL and NBA.

I mean you're just as guilty of stereotyping people as you say I am, because you put all of us who wouldnt be comfortable showering with gay players in a group that indicates we're not black, or we're not women, or we're not disabled. How do you know that some women would be comfortable showering on a softball team or whatever where they are playing with lesbian teammates? Or how would you know that all disabled people would be cool showering with gay guys? And you definitely can't say that about all black people, when garrison hearst even said "I dont want to be showering with a f****t, I dont want to have to worry about dropping the soap" or whatever.

This isn't an issue about discrimination IMO, it's an issue of whether you're comfortable in a shower with gay guys who may be looking at you and checking out you and your teammates. A lot of players/people find that disgusting because they don't want that attention, and while definitively may not happen it is still a very large possibility. Not to mention they would be a big distraction to the team, as well as the harrassment that would be brought on from opposing fans/players. All they have to do is keep their private life private and keep their stuff on the field seperate from that. A lot of athletes do that already.

Whatever, tulini even said "cant everyone just get along", and your posts are certainly slanted in that direction. Pretty much you don't like tolerating people who disagree with you, atleast that's how it seems to me. And that's what you are accusing me and other people of doing. It's nearly the same exact thing dude. Just because I don't want gay guys in the shower with me doesn't mean I hate gay people or don't accept them, I just dont want to take a f**king shower with one.

Whatever, tulini even said "cant everyone just get along", and your posts are certainly slanted in that direction. Pretty much you don't like tolerating people who disagree with you, atleast that's how it seems to me. And that's what you are accusing me and other people of doing. It's nearly the same exact thing dude. Just because I don't want gay guys in the shower with me doesn't mean I hate gay people or don't accept them, I just dont want to take a f**king shower with one.

well, you don't know me, and I doubt you even know "people like me." I never said you had to "tolerate" anything you don't want to, and I don't think you can force anyone to "just get along." But I think everyone should have the same right and freedom to live their life and pursue their choices without someone's else's intolerance getting in the way.
f*g
I prefer no gay guys or unattractive women in the locker room.
Share 49ersWebzone