LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 147 users in the forums

Andre Johnson isn't happy with his contract

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He's wants current market value for a person of his skill set. I don't disagree with his desire to get additional money, but he put himself in that situation.
Originally posted by susweel:
I swear these players are just stupid. Dude has 5 years left on his deal that he signed in 2007. Contracts dont really mean anything if players just want new one every few years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/17/andre-johnson-isnt-happy-with-his-contract/

So I spent a chunk of my weekend poring through NFLPA contract data, looking for the most underpaid and overpaid players at each position for an article in the upcoming PFT magazine.

When I looked at the Texans' contracts, I wrote down Andre Johnson's name as a candidate to make the underpaid list. $5.8 million is a lot of cash, but it's pretty reasonable for the best receiver in football. (We'll give him a slight edge over Larry Fitzgerald.)

It looks like Johnson and his agent (his uncle Andre Melton) agree with our underpaid assessment. The Texans receiver skipped Houston's OTA Monday because of displeasure with his contract, according to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.

Being underpaid and having grounds to get a new deal are not the same thing. AJ has a major problem. He has five (5!) years left on a eight year, $60 million contract he signed in 2007.

man i wish the niners can get him.lol.. he is a beast. Michael Crabtree and Andre.. What a Dual
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
It's a tricky situation, I mean he is clearly outplaying his contract, but then again he only signed 2 years ago. I say let him play out another year then look more in to a long term solution
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
It's a tricky situation, I mean he is clearly outplaying his contract, but then again he only signed 2 years ago. I say let him play out another year then look more in to a long term solution

But do people go asking for a pay cut if they are under playing their contract?
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

But do people go asking for a pay cut if they are under playing their contract?

no but the team might.
After a rookie salary cap, these kinds of things will be less of an issue. I'm still surprised that the NFLPA would vote for a rookie salary cap. I wish my company hired the dumbest person in the world and I found out he made more than me so that I can have a valid reason for a raise.
I tink Andre deserves more money, but he did does still have a couple years remaining on his contract. I do think they should make him the highest paid WR in the league, because he in my opinion is the best WR in the league.
Originally posted by AlexSmithWillWIn:
I tink Andre deserves more money, but he did does still have a couple years remaining on his contract. I do think they should make him the highest paid WR in the league, because he in my opinion is the best WR in the league.

No, 5 YEARS!
Dre will get a new deal real soon. Everyone but Dre knew he signed a bad contract when he siganed his last contract.
[ Edited by TXNinerFan52 on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone