There are 196 users in the forums

Interesting take by Matt Barrows...

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
If we start over at QB we should be able to do a lot better than Vick.

If this happens we can forget about playoffs for the next couple of years.

Because the Falcons, Ravens and Jets failed so miserably when they took a QB with the 1st overall pick, right??

But your right, we could also miss the playoffs. But our team is on par with the Ravens and Jets if we were to start over with a new QB. We've got a solid running game, receivers and TE, a respectable defense and our special teams is one of the best in the game right now (Nedney and Lee).

Yeah but if Smith fails theres a good chance we overhaul our coaches too. Once again it's a whole new system which we pray our players will buy into.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by stevenking57:
If we sign Vick, it would be the end of the line for a lot of Niner fans. I want to win, but not with scum like that guy.

So you would take another 8-8 season with any other QB than a winning season with Michael Vick?

On what basis does Vick produce a winning season where Smith can't? Arm strength? Accuracy? Umm?

Barrows was well off with this one. Sorry MB, but you were just wrong

On the basis that he's produced winning seasons before?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
If we sign Vick, it would be the end of the line for a lot of Niner fans. I want to win, but not with scum like that guy.

So you would take another 8-8 season with any other QB than a winning season with Michael Vick?

On what basis does Vick produce a winning season where Smith can't? Arm strength? Accuracy? Umm?

Derek Anderson, Kerry Collins, and Marc Bulger have produced winning seasons before for their respective teams. It doesn't mean if they are plugged into the 49ers lineup, the course of our season changes dramatically compared to Alex Smith.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Derek Anderson, Kerry Collins, and Marc Bulger have produced winning seasons before for their respective teams. It doesn't mean if they are plugged into the 49ers lineup, the course of our season changes dramatically compared to Alex Smith.

Good point, but I still don't doubt Vick to, at minimum, produce equal to what Alex has done. He may not be leaps and bounds better than what we have going, but he's led a team to the playoffs and won games when he got there. We can't say that about the guys we have now. IMO, that counts for something.

No. On the basis that he was not a very good qb before, and is unlikely to have improved in the meantime
Originally posted by GEEK:

Yeah but we know EXACTLY who was responsible for the Falcons' winning seasons... dont believe me? Go ask Dan Reeves. Those guys you mentioned were just in a fortunate situation.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
If Smith sucks i'm assuming we are not having a good season and would probably end up 7-9 or something. We'd havea top 10 pick and could always trade up to get a new franchise QB. I hope it doesnt come to that and Smith is awesome
what if A.Smith has a bad statistical year but the Niners make to the playoffs. a la Jets 09. Then are the niners forced to sign Smith again?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
what if A.Smith has a bad statistical year but the Niners make to the playoffs. a la Jets 09. Then are the niners forced to sign Smith again?

I'd re-sign Smith to another year or slap the tag on him, then draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Baltimore Ravens said good bye to Trent Dilfer after winning a Super Bowl.

Just saying

I'd re-sign Smith to another year or slap the tag on him, then draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Franchise tag on a QB is 15 million dollars. I've got to say no on that one.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Franchise tag on a QB is 15 million dollars. I've got to say no on that one.

Wow that much huh, well in that case forget that. I'd just see if he would re-sign for what hes getting paid right now on a on-year contract, if not let him walk.
Share 49ersWebzone