There are 172 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jiks
Yeah BJ was your more prototypical true TE. Dude had fantastic hands, but was slower and less versatile. The catches he made were second to none IMHO69. That's what separates him from VD. VD is more of a hybrid TE. Speed, size, blocking but not the hands or ability to find gaps you want out of a prototypical TE. Both are/were fantastic, but as far as being a true TE, that's why I give BJ the slight edge.
I am going to go with VD. How can you pass up a guy who is faster than most WRs but has a TE's body and elite hands? Not to say BJ didn't have his own talents but VD physically has just about everything you could ask for.
[ Edited by BayArea on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM ]
Breaking records with in the 49ers is always good . We must be doing something good. LIKE WINNING !!!!
Originally posted by BayArea:
I am going to go with VD. How can you pass up a guy who is faster than most WRs but has a TE's body and elite hands? Not to say BJ didn't have his own talents but VD physically has just about everything you could ask for.

i like VD but i wouldn't go there. he usually needs to catch it against his body.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

i like VD but i wouldn't go there. he usually needs to catch it against his body.

And coming off the heels of the SB where he dropped a deep ball that Kaepernick couldn't have walked up and handed him the ball in a better spot...yeah, too soon.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Really love Vernon of course, but he was taken #6 overall. He of course hasn't been a bust, but at that spot he should have been the best TE in the league every year, not just now catching up with Brent Jones.

This. We drafted him with the intention that he'd revolutionize the position and he'd be an outlet for Alex Smith, or whoever the QB was, year in and year out.
Not to say he hasn't been a top 10 NFL Tight End, but we drafted him with the hope that he'd be the best tight end every year.

He's a great player though. His blend of speed and run-blocking ability really lets our offensive coordinator get creative with the packages we run.

Vernon's a great pass-catcher, but there's more to pass-catching than just being fast and having good hands. The ability to run routes and separate from defenders is one thing Brent Jones had over VD.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
From bust to star. Say what you want about Singletary. A horrible coach but what he did to Vernon was amazing.

exactly, he lit a fire under him and molded him into a leader and not a thug.
If Vernon Davis was in the Late 80's early 90's 49ers offense, he woulda shattered TE records. VD is that good. Its not VDs fault that he had to suffer through awful offensive coaching until Harbaugh came along. Trust me VD is better than BJ and I will say, BJ was very very very good. Its just a testament to how good VD is.

lol

Originally posted by Wubbie:

Vernon's a great pass-catcher, but there's more to pass-catching than just being fast and having good hands. The ability to run routes and separate from defenders is one thing Brent Jones had over VD.

Not really into comparing 49ers but I agree anyway.
You just didn't see TE's like Vernon when Brent was playing...it's apples & oranges between the two. BJ was both Montana's and Young's favorite target over the middle...he was seemingly always open and rarely missed one. He was a plodder, which most TE's were in his day. Vernon is a space age guy who's got the size, strength and freakish speed. He'll be honored when he passes Brent up...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You just didn't see TE's like Vernon when Brent was playing...it's apples & oranges between the two. BJ was both Montana's and Young's favorite target over the middle...he was seemingly always open and rarely missed one. He was a plodder, which most TE's were in his day. Vernon is a space age guy who's got the size, strength and freakish speed. He'll be honored when he passes Brent up...

dude on a team that didnt use him as an extra lineman for for most of his career he wouldve broken everyones records by now. dude shoulda been the megatron of TE's but es either blocking or wide open and not getting anything thrown his way. hopefully kaep can get vernon some more shots to do damage next season because he really under utilized him since hes been the starter besides a couple games in the playoffs
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

dude on a team that didnt use him as an extra lineman for for most of his career he wouldve broken everyones records by now. dude shoulda been the megatron of TE's but es either blocking or wide open and not getting anything thrown his way. hopefully kaep can get vernon some more shots to do damage next season because he really under utilized him since hes been the starter besides a couple games in the playoffs
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
I loved Brent jones, he was awesome a Niner all pro. But let's get real here. Their is absolutely no comparison who the better TE is. Vernon Davis by a long shot. He is the most talented TE to ever done a football uniform in history period. He's capable of having a 2000 yard receiving season and 20 TD's. All he has ever lacked is a great qb and pass first offense

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

And Kellen Winslow Sr., Shannon Sharpe, Mike Ditka, and Ozzie Newsome said hey.

Lame!!! Vernon is still more gifted than them. None were as strong, fast, quick better blocker and deep threat. And those are some great TE's! VD is the true TE version of Shannon Sharpe

Lame...moi? I'm not the one who thinks Davis, as it stands right now, is the best TE ever. He's very good, Pro Bowl-caliber, but he's not even close to being "Best Ever", and jumping to catch the ball in his chest doesn't help his case, nor does his tendency to give up on passes.. "More gifted" =/= "better". And oh yeah, Dave Casper was pissed I left him off that list, he also wants to say wussup.
I never not once said Vernon was the best TE ever!! I said he is the most 'Gifted' TE ever!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone