LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 386 users in the forums

WTF? Why is Michael Irvin a HOFer???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Very good 8 year stretch + Dallas Cowboys ( America's Team) + 3 Super Bowls

OK. Now explain to me why Roger Craig isn't in the HoF?

The Fumble
Originally posted by lamontb:
He deserved it IMO. Irvin was a beast at WR and his career ended early.

The big question i have is who gets in 1st Tim Brown, or Cris Carter?

Both should be 1st-ballot Famers. Not even debatable.
As much as I hate to say it, Michael Irvin is a very deserving HOFer. He was an explosive WR and also an excellent blocker. If you use the criterium of dominating his position while he played the game, then Michael Irvin is definitely a very deserving HOFer.
They just had a segment on NFL Network about the top 10 players that should be in the HOF. Chris Carter was #3 and Ricky Watters was #6ish can't rememer exactly where he was. Steve Tasker was on there as well.
Originally posted by backontop:
They just had a segment on NFL Network about the top 10 players that should be in the HOF. Chris Carter was #3 and Ricky Watters was #6ish can't rememer exactly where he was. Steve Tasker was on there as well.

As a NotreDame fan, also, I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep, nor complain, if Ricky gets passed by.

"For who? For What?" defines him more than 10,000+ rushings yards ever will.

Wow... I guess the voters agree:

"For who? For What?" incident
On a 2008 episode of NFL Top 10, a documentary series produced by the NFL Network, Watters was ranked #7 out of the top 10 players yet to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Despite his 5 Pro Bowl selections and his high rankings in total rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and total touchdowns, criticism of his lack of professional demeanor was cited by voters as a primary reason for his failure to be inducted. In particular, he was considered to be a "loud mouth" by some critics, who argued it overshadowed his on-the-field accomplishments. Others interviewed said his behavior was no different than other inductees, in particular, Joe Namath and Lawrence Taylor. The "For Who, For What?" incident is considered by former voters as a defining moment that could hurt his chances, as one Hall of Fame voter said that it would be brought up as a negative by someone whenever Watters' name came up in the future. Another explanation of why he has not yet been voted into the Hall was that despite scoring three touchdowns in Super Bowl XXIX, his achievement was overshadowed by the play of Steve Young, who threw for six touchdowns and won MVP honors.
Originally posted by jerryricefan80:
After watching the 2009 Hall of Fame coverage, and seeing that Chris Carter is not in the Hall of Fame, I got to wondering why Michael Irvin is because he was part of the NFL network coverage. After looking at his numbers, now I am even more appalled that he is in and Chris Carter isn't. He isn't even in the top 10 of Wideouts for Receptions, TDs, or Career Receiving yards. Total BS. I take the Hall a lot less seriously now.

You obviously didn't watch a lot of football in the 90's...
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Um, why the hell wouldn't he be?

Put the hate aside, the guy is a great player.
Because he has won a superbowl
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Very good 8 year stretch + Dallas Cowboys ( America's Team) + 3 Super Bowls

OK. Now explain to me why Roger Craig isn't in the HoF?

Exactly. The same reasons should apply. Craig put up solid, not spectacular rushing numbers on a primarily passing team and a major contributor to 3 SB winning teams. Also being the first to do something 1k/1k should count for something. For what he was asked to do in that offense, he was great.
Originally posted by jerryricefan80:
I think Super Bowls shouldn't be a determining factor for the Hall. It should be based on individual accomplishments. That's like saying Marino or Moon shouldn't be in the Hall. If they have a recognition for great teams enshrined in the Hall, then fine. But Irvin's stats aren't exactly eye-popping compared to his peers who aren't in the Hall. Damn Cowboys...

I think the better question is...why aren't guys like Chris Carter and Roger Craig in the HOF?

Bc he was in the longest yard..

but seriously he does deserve it
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by lamontb:
He deserved it IMO. Irvin was a beast at WR and his career ended early.

The big question i have is who gets in 1st Tim Brown, or Cris Carter?

Both should be 1st-ballot Famers. Not even debatable.

True I just think they both are coming up at the wrong time. Carter has been skipped twice already which i can't believe. and I think this year will be Tim Brown's 1st year eligible. I think Shannon Sharpe should have been in on the 1st ballot too.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
First and foremost, I hate Michael Irvin's guts, he is the Cowboy I hated the most.
A big part of that was the fact he was a big pain for the 49er defense to even slow down let alone stop. I did not like his ego or his off field activities. BUT, he deserves to be in the hall, he was one of 3 big reasons the Cowboys were the team of the 90's.
I can't understand how a 49er fan could question this guy being in the HOF, unless they didn't start watching football till the year 2000.
Originally posted by BobS:
First and foremost, I hate Michael Irvin's guts, he is the Cowboy I hated the most.
A big part of that was the fact he was a big pain for the 49er defense to even slow down let alone stop. I did not like his ego or his off field activities. BUT, he deserves to be in the hall, he was one of 3 big reasons the Cowboys were the team of the 90's.
I can't understand how a 49er fan could question this guy being in the HOF, unless they didn't start watching football till the year 2000.

All very true! I couldnt stand the guy myself. However, its ridiculous to even think that Irvin should not be in the Hall.

One game I remember like it was yesterday was the 1995 NFC title game. The Niners went ahead 21-0 and had to hang on for dear life to win and finally get back to the SB after 2 years in a row of having lost to the Cowboys in the NFC title game.

All Irvin did in that game was catch 12 passes for 192 yards and 2 tds. Remember too that the Niners had Deion that year covering him for much of the game! The guy was a complete stud and in my book was the 2nd best WR during that time.
Did anyone else see this BS ?
Mount Rushmore of NFL QBs

Kurt Warner was asked to name his Mount Rushmore of QBs in NFL history.
The panel consisted of Warner, Rich Eisen, and Michael Irvin …
so true to fashion, and following form, this was his list:
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Troy Aikman
Rodger Staubach

To each their own, but his reasons for omitting Joe Montana are SUSPECT 🤔
So, is this MF'er on the Tootski again, or did he ever quit ??
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Aug 10, 2021 at 2:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone