There are 209 users in the forums

BREAKING NEWS: Broncos trade Cutler to the Bears

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by NinerNZ:
I haven't read the posts on this thread, but upon hearing the news of Cutlers trade, I just wanted to register my disappointment with the Niners FO . . . again!
Of course, I knew that the Niners didn't have the Cajones to pull off something like this, but until the door was slammed shut, there was always hope.
This was a trade the Niners could have made. Is Culter worth it? Absolutely! You just have to register this organizations exercise in futility with their first rounders to realise what a crap shoot drafting is versus the sure thing. Easily worth 2, heck three, first rounders. Even the one first rounder we hit on is not worth a third of what a franchise QB brings to the table. Only homie are blind to this fact.
A franchise QB is the core, the foundation on which to build a consistent winner. The Niners demise began with the team's loss of its franchise QBs and until we have one, we're not going to be consistently back. The teams that are consistently there year after year have this.
There is NOONE on the Niners roster who is a valuable as Cutler. Anybody making an argument to the contrary is not playing with a full deck IMO. There are a LOT of them around.
What a disappointment!! Well . . . back to the salt mines!

Its crazy man. I look at how the zone is divided, and I think shoot the franchise leaders might be divided in the same way.

Its right in front of your face people.....Niners suck...Joe comes along, then Steve....Niners suck again

We could have offered more, it was right there for the taking...s**t

Cutler is no Joe or Steve dude... not even close. He's a retarded b***hy version of Favre at best, and at worst a decent Jeff George Jr. No thanks.

well you certainly sound objective. But for the record, no one is ever going to be like Joe or Steve to us until they winning rings in red and gold. When we have our next Steve or Joe we won't even know it until much later...so we are going to have to be open to the idea.
I haven't read the posts on this thread, but upon hearing the news of Cutlers trade, I just wanted to register my disappointment with the Niners FO . . . again!
Of course, I knew that the Niners didn't have the Cajones to pull off something like this, but until the door was slammed shut, there was always hope.
This was a trade the Niners could have made. Is Culter worth it? Absolutely! You just have to register this organizations exercise in futility with their first rounders to realise what a crap shoot drafting is versus the sure thing. Easily worth 2, heck three, first rounders. Even the one first rounder we hit on is not worth a third of what a franchise QB brings to the table. Only homie are blind to this fact.
A franchise QB is the core, the foundation on which to build a consistent winner. The Niners demise began with the team's loss of its franchise QBs and until we have one, we're not going to be consistently back. The teams that are consistently there year after year have this.
There is NOONE on the Niners roster who is a valuable as Cutler. Anybody making an argument to the contrary is not playing with a full deck IMO. There are a LOT of them around.

1 decent season and 0 playoffs...

Franchise QBs make it to the playoffs
great teams win the Super Bowl
until you idiots realize that, you will be forever trapped in your halusanation that you call NFL football

Even with Young and Montana, how many playoff games did we lose?

and CUTLER IS NOT A FRANCHISE QB!!!!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP CALLING HIM THAT! FRANCHISE QBS WHO ARE ONE WIN AWAY FROM THE PLAYOFFS DO NOT LOSE THE GAME, CUTLER HAS DONE IT 3 TIMES NOW!
2006 he loses to Alex Smith
2007 he dies out in the second half of season
2008 he chokes away 3 losses in a row and miss playoffs with a 2 1/2 game lead with 3 games left.

CUTLER IS NOT A FRANCHISE QB
Originally posted by danimal:
I still can't believe this happened. Man, I can't dog out McDaniels too much, how could he have known Cutler would have went ballistic?

Well they can always draft another QB...then they have to wait for 3 years to find out if he is any good or not

I have always believed, the most valuable commodity in the NFL is a QB entering his 4th season with more than 30 starts and a better than 80 career rating. To me, it simply does not get better than that. I doubt I am ever going to see anything like that...a 25 year old QB on a new team who is in all likelihood is going to get 10 straight years of having a top 10 QB.

The Bears now officially have 10 years to get the missing pieces in place and they are not even that far off right now.

As for McDaniel's. The guy is an idiot. Apparently a number of players have complained that he isn't very approachable. He certainly didn't do anything to ease the situation between him and Cutler.

Of course, Cutler didn't do anything to help the situation either. I got a vibe that he came off as slightly arrogant but i can understand his concerns.

As for the Bears, how are they going to get their missing pieces?
Draft picks?
FA? With an uncapped year looming?

Let's hope they have a great metal detector to help them find all those hidden 'gems'.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Apr 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM ]

3 first rounders? Why do we stop there? Just give them a first round draft pick each year for the next 5 years.

CHAMPIONSHIP

-9fA
The Bears gave up too much for Cutler.

Glad I don't have to hear anymore , The 49ers need to Cutler talk .
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Ok..i know some of you wanted him...i did too although i believe alex still can pan out.... BUT doesnt it feel great to have him traded and have this over with? I mean I live for draft day us picking in the first round. I love that shiz
The Bears are going to get back ten fold what they paid for Cutler. I wish our FO had those kind of stones.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by WINiner:
The Bears are going to get back ten fold what they paid for Cutler. I wish our FO had those kind of stones.

Eggzactly.

I think someone explained earlier what the deal really breaks down to - essentially this years 1st for Cutler. Remember the get Denver's 3rd this year for next year's 1st. Which is essentially a 1st rounder and a lil bit more for a PRO BOWL QB who's 25 and fresh off 2500yd passing season with a suspect running game.

You know, this reminds me of a story a friend told me about housing. If you need a roof over your head and the market is 25% higher this year than it was last year, a lot of people are going to say you're purchase was expensive - but they're not looking for housing.

This trade was about need. The Bears have a solid core of defensive talent, a running game NOW the one thing they've lacked for years - a QB who can make an opposing defense respect the pass. And in Ninertalk I watched 40 posters talk-up the return of Marvel Smith as if he were Tony Boselli despite injury. The Bears signed Pace and if he can play at least at the same level of what we HOPE Smith might play, the Bears are easily a play-off team.

Who is he going to throw to? Who really cares! Did any of you know who Brandon Jones was? I've certainly have heard of Olson and Hester before many in league have heard of Morgan and (Jason) Hill. Stats for stats versus last year, the Bears have a BETTER running game than we did last season. And with all of Martz vaunted passing, we were only 3 spots better than Chicago in total offense.

Gutsy, ballzy moves are about taking risks. You can't reap big rewards unless you're willing to take risks. 49er history is littered with Walsh taking big risks on players who many thought couldn't hack it or not "worth the price." It's clear someone thought the entire process through and it wasn't leaked before it was a done deal.

The 49ers can't even stop leaks at this point. I love my team, but again, I don't love my team's front office.

You better read the details of the trade. The Bears gave up 2 first rounders, 1 3rd rounder and Orton. They get Cutler and a 5th rounder from Denver.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Deal.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It's actually Orton and the 09 and 10 first rounders from the Bears for Cutler and this year's 3rd rounder from Denver.

Hmm, a bit higher price than I would have wanted to pay, but if Smith or Hill (and the draft picks) would have gotten us the same deal, I would probably take it.

Orton is worthless, and will not be more than a backup, (more or less the same if we trades Smith or Hill).

So it's really just a 1st rounder this year for cutler (which is where Denver could find their real QB of the future) and then trading a 3rd this year for a first next year.

It would still give you a chance to get a great player. Hell a 3rd rounder on our team (Gore) is better than almost any first rounder in the NFL. And Cutler is certainly worth at least a 1st rounder plus a bit, and that's what the trade is.

Sounds pricey at first, but getting that 3rd rounder back this year helps a lot and with a few good picks plus Cutler, Chicago's first rounder next year might not be worth quite so much and Devner's 3rd rounder could easily be a high pick if they are counting on Orton or a rook.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. (For Chicago.) How it works out for Denver will depend a ton on if their picks work out.

what he said

Umm, No. What I said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f93745&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4037683&categoryid=2459789

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373

Your source is TexasNiner?
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM ]

It would appear initially that Denver raped Chicago in that trade.

Cutler + 5th..

For..

1st, 1st, 3rd, and Kyle Orton.

If Kyle Orton, with no protection and no WR's could do as well as he did.. I'm wondering what'll happen in Denver if he starts with receivers to throw to, and protection, if he gets that.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It would appear initially that Denver raped Chicago in that trade.

Cutler + 5th..

For..

1st, 1st, 3rd, and Kyle Orton.

If Kyle Orton, with no protection and no WR's could do as well as he did.. I'm wondering what'll happen in Denver if he starts with receivers to throw to, and protection, if he gets that.

I'm sure McDaniels, knowing QBs like he does, made the deal happen for a reason.
Originally posted by kronik:
It's actually Orton and the 09 and 10 first rounders from the Bears for Cutler and this year's 3rd rounder from Denver.

Hmm, a bit higher price than I would have wanted to pay, but if Smith or Hill (and the draft picks) would have gotten us the same deal, I would probably take it.

Orton is worthless, and will not be more than a backup, (more or less the same if we trades Smith or Hill).

So it's really just a 1st rounder this year for cutler (which is where Denver could find their real QB of the future) and then trading a 3rd this year for a first next year.

It would still give you a chance to get a great player. Hell a 3rd rounder on our team (Gore) is better than almost any first rounder in the NFL. And Cutler is certainly worth at least a 1st rounder plus a bit, and that's what the trade is.

Sounds pricey at first, but getting that 3rd rounder back this year helps a lot and with a few good picks plus Cutler, Chicago's first rounder next year might not be worth quite so much and Devner's 3rd rounder could easily be a high pick if they are counting on Orton or a rook.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. (For Chicago.) How it works out for Denver will depend a ton on if their picks work out.

what he said

Umm, No. What I said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f93745&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

your right but in the initial report it said cutler and a third for 2 firsts and a 5th
I guess they corrected themselves

still terrible trade, bears got raped
Originally posted by solidg2000:

what he said

Umm, No. What I said:

your right but in the initial report it said cutler and a third for 2 firsts and a 5th

I'm not sure who got it wrong earlier, but when the trade happened, NFL Network reported it correctly. Was it ESPN that got it wrong initially?
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by solidg2000:

what he said

Umm, No. What I said:

I'm not sure who got it wrong earlier, but when the trade happened, NFL Network reported it correctly. Was it ESPN that got it wrong initially?

yeah ESPN reported 2 1sts and a 5th for overrated and a 3rd
Share 49ersWebzone