LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Draft Value Chart with Calculator (see bottom of chart for calculator)

The numbers are the value assigned to the picks. Its what teams approximate value that they have to trade with other teams.

For example.....when we traded up into the first round to get Manny Lawson, we gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get a first round pick. If you looked at this chart and where we traded up to get the pick, it was almost perfect in value.

Another Example......if we trade out of the first round. We could probably get a 2nd and 4th round pick. You take what our pick is worth and than try to get similar point value. It's a fairly simple.

And if you are trading for a future pick, the value goes way down too.
[ Edited by Oldschool9erfan on Mar 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
The numbers are the value assigned to the picks. Its what teams approximate the travel that they have to trade with other teams.

For example.....when we traded up into the first round to get Manny Lawson, we gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get a first round pick. If you looked at this chart and where we traded up to get the pick, it was almost perfect in value.

Another Example......if we trade out of the first round. We could probably get a 2nd and 4th round pick. You take what our pick is worth and than try to get similar point value. It's a fairly simple.

And if you are trading for a future pick, the value goes way down too.

Well said and this is just a guide used by the teams in the league. You don't have to give exact value... it hardly ever is but it's in the ballpark. You could trade pick 1 for 30 straight up if two teams wanted too... again, these are just guidelines.

Like Oldschool says, this is a good chart for trading in the same year and if you trade future picks they probably won't be worth what picks this year are. So giving someone a 2nd and 3rd this year for a 1st this year is equal value where you might have to trade a 1st next year to get a 2nd this year. Makes sense since you have to wait a year to use the pick so you should get more in return.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by defenderDX:
so I dont get it..... what do the points represent? where do those numbers come from

That's a chart the NFL goes by when discussing trades and how each pick is valued.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
so I dont get it..... what do the points represent? where do those numbers come from

That's a chart the NFL goes by when discussing trades and how each pick is valued.

so the determination of how high the number is, is made up?
  • sfout
  • Veteran

so the determination of how high the number is, is made up?

The NFL Arbitrarily came up with a number system that would make sense when applied to 224 picks that are in the draft.

Basically 3200 was the lowest maximum number for every single pick to a significant value and be easily distinguishable from one an other.
A note to Kolohe and others using the chart at the beginning of the thread.
I was just throwing the value chart on the 1st page into a spreadsheet and realized that it is wrong from pick 151 on. Please note that 152 is erroneous as it adds back .6 value points and this error continue to the end. Please also note that Waterfootball and other sites' value charts end at 224 with a value of 2 and appear to be more correct.

Unfortunately all charts share the same anomaly in picks 17 to 18 to 19 to 20 to 21, which is inexplicable as noted by a previous poster in this thread..

I don't blame you, or (although tempted because of his disdain of anyone questioning his mocks) Nick Bradley to whom you attributed its origin, or its possible real origin of ESPN in January 2004. Just noting this for reference so that people using the chart to calculate pick trading should be a bit leery of it for picks post-151. Please note that the football guys trade value chart noted under the chart appears to be based on the correct value numbers, I tested to see if it showed an improvement in value from 152 to 150, and it did. On the thread chart, the value decreases.

Having said all this, what do I know? I'm just a haole, and you, Kolohe, may be a rascal but at least you're an ano kanaka.
I think this whole chart needs to be revised since the CBA has changed it. Picks don't cost as much monetary wise. Of course not sure if that makes the pick more or less valuable. Plus it should be done not by rounds but simply draft position since the amount of compensatory picks vary. IDK-just me
http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/how-to-value-nfl-draft-picks/

Some of you may find this one interesting, a Harvard guy put together a new chart (the old one is on top new one on bottom)
coo chart
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on May 1, 2014 at 7:30 AM ]
Originally posted by rigs49:

Kolohe, is there a way that you can highlight our pics. Thanks.

Sorry can't figure that one out yet. Let me ask the other Mods if they know.

Got an answer for us yet?

If it is any help, here is an up to date link to a draft value chart.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp
The lower picks sometimes don't make sense. I used it for my mock and the trades were strange to say the least.
No way we can trade back into the 2nd without giving up our 3rd. Possibly for our 2nd next year but I would hate for us to mortgage future picks. If anything, we should trade a team some of our later picks for a next year's 3rd. We have too many useless picks.
This one has individual team and pick value totals.

http://drafthistory.com/
Without any crazy upsets and with a Hou victory over Indy in week 17, we'll be drafting #4.

We miss out on the QB market and trading out of that spot, but that's still a prime spot.
Share 49ersWebzone