LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Matthew Bergeron-OT/OG-Syracuse

6'5, 323. Potential McGlinchey replacement although he may have blown his draft stock up out of the 49ers range after the Senior Bowl. Has experience at both left and right tackle, and had a strong showing at guard in the Senior Bowl as well. Quick feet and outstanding movement ability, does a solid job of blocking at the second level, good power overall but needs to be coached up quite a bit in terms of his technique. From the games I saw, if he gets his hands on a defender early, its pretty much over but he has an issue with lunging and getting himself off balance that will need to be addressed in the NFL. Experienced starter that was a team captain and leader of the OL. Has been working with Joe Staley to prep for the Senior Bowl and Combine.

This could be someone worth moving up for depending on what his range ends up being, could see him go early 2nd or fall to towards the middle of the 3rd round.

Doesn't have that ideal length you want, but I love the physical mentality. Not sure if he's a OT or OG at the next level. Played in a zone heavy scheme. Like phoenix said he probably played his way into the 2nd after the senior bowl
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 17, 2023 at 5:48 AM ]
If the 49ers see him holding up at tackle, he might make sense as a McGlinchey replacement. Potentially dominant run blocker that's a work in progress as a pass blocker. Just depends how early he goes.

• krizay
  • Veteran
He's my #1 OT for us. Strong chance he's gone by our pick but..
Originally posted by krizay:

Yeah he is interesting. Profiles well as a Shanahan RT, but some work needed in his game. I don't think he is a day one starter but rather a year two starter at best. Plus 49ers would probably have to give up their 4 earliest picks to move up high enough to get him.
I love this kid but feel like he needs to be drafted as a RG. Could transfer to RT after a year or two but needs some serious coaching in pass protection. Love the size and athleticism though. I don't see him as a day 1 McGlinchey replacement. We cant expose our QBs coming off injuries.
Originally posted by hummbabybear:

Yeah he is interesting. Profiles well as a Shanahan RT, but some work needed in his game. I don't think he is a day one starter but rather a year two starter at best. Plus 49ers would probably have to give up their 4 earliest picks to move up high enough to get him.

I think we have too many needs to pay that kind of price.
Originally posted by English:

I see a lot of places have him going like 55-70 overall. If Niners think he could be their future RT they could package 99, 101 and a 3rd or 4th next year for him
Smart. Good size. Strong. Versatile. This is the guy I hope the 49ers take with their first pick.

Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
Smart. Good size. Strong. Versatile. This is the guy I hope the 49ers take with their first pick.

I wouldn't move up for him. Like him a monster in the run game. He's far from consistent as a pass-blocker. Not sure if you want to move up for that and I got a feeling SF would have to if there were trying to land him. Just my two cents
If the Niners have their eyes on someone they are counting on for a key contribution they could move up whatever the position. Might go up for a RT or pass rusher but not a S of the future or depth
Originally posted by Luckycharms:

I see a lot of places have him going like 55-70 overall. If Niners think he could be their future RT they could package 99, 101 and a 3rd or 4th next year for him

They can get a future RT at 99, 101, or 102 and miss out on a FS, DE, etc from that trade up, for a guy that still will likely sit in year 1. I do like the player though, but trading picks this year isn't the move.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

They can get a future RT at 99, 101, or 102 and miss out on a FS, DE, etc from that trade up, for a guy that still will likely sit in year 1. I do like the player though, but trading picks this year isn't the move.

I go back and forth on this. We are in essence talking about high 4th round picks here. I get it that they can use depth, but if I get a shot at a bookend OT, I'm OK with trading up.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I go back and forth on this. We are in essence talking about high 4th round picks here. I get it that they can use depth, but if I get a shot at a bookend OT, I'm OK with trading up.

Because of how our staff develops players, I don't see it simply as depth. Some players might be depth, some might turn out to be some really good starters, and we know good starters are found in every round. Yes, it's harder the lower in the draft you go, but having so many picks on day 2 and day 3 feeds right into the strength of what we do. It's not just the idea of a bookend tackle, but is this OT at pick 70 something that much better than the tackle at 99? I don't see it and it's not worth what would be given up. It might be just two 5ths and a 7th, but considering how well we draft late, I'd rather have as many shots at it as possible. If they must move up, package a pick from next year, but I think should generally stay put with their 3rds. Also, given that it's deep at TE, tackle, safety, and edge, why not double dip?
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Apr 3, 2023 at 10:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone