There are 203 users in the forums

Grading the 2022 Draft (work in progress)

DE Drake Jackson USC 6'3" 254
I LOVE this pick. Jackson is an absolute beast. He just turned 21 making him one of the youngest defenders in the draft but has three full seasons in the PAC-12 under his belt. Jackson explodes off the line to put OTs on their back foot and combines that with unique bendy-ness that enables him to get to the QB consistently. By all advanced metrics, he was one of the most effective pass rushers in college football last year. Where his youth comes through, however, is in his play strength. It's clear he's not nearly as solid against the run and he too often loses battles when tackles can lock on to him. However, his age, raw traits and work ethic should be moldable clay in the hands of Kris Kocurek. You can never go wrong stockpiling talented pass rushers and I was surprised to see Jackson fall this late into the second round. My ONLY quibble here is that I ever so slightly preferred Nik Bonitto from Oklahoma who went just three picks later. Bonitto isn't the complete DE that Jackson projects to become, but Bonitto is a far more refined pass rusher at this point and likely would've made a bigger impact this year.
Grade: A

RB Ty Davis-Price LSU 6'0" 211
As much as I loved the Drake Jackson pick, this was arguably the biggest "WHAT THE F**K?" pick on all of Day 2. This pick neither addressed a big need (OL, S, DB, WR) nor had any value (David-Price was projected at best as a late 4th Round Pick). I've been trying to identify a silver lining here but the more I read about Davis-Price, the more confounded I become. He was a fine RB at LSU, but never had a season where he averaged over 4.8 yards per cary. He's not particularly elusive, not particularly big and doesn't have any one special trait. So what did the Niners see here? Maybe he's the second coming of Frank Gore who can consistently pound out yards, but short of that this is a gigantic reach. Worse, it appears the Niners didn't learn their lesson from reaching for Trey Sermon last year. What makes this so much more painful is that dynamic S Nick Cross was on the board, only to go a few picks later to the Colts. Even if the Niners didn't love Cross, they could've given up very little to jump ahead of the Raiders at pick #90 to grab OG/OC Dylan Parham. Instead they used a premium pick on a RB who was far from the best available (Pierre Strong, Dameon Pierce and Zamir White would have all been far superior picks).
Grade: F-

WR Danny Gray SMU 6'0" 186
I'm a huge Danny Gray fan who in many ways is Brandon Aiyuk Lite; a slightly smaller, slightly faster version. Gray is one of the fastest players in this draft but unlike other speed demons, he's not linear. Gray is incredibly smooth and slippery and can get in and out of his breaks to consistently get open. His got some work to do on his hands and needs find more consistency, but he has a chance to become an explosive #2 or #3 WR in this league who takes the top off defenses. A month or so back I was hoping we'd be able to nab Gray in the 5th, then a few weeks leading up to the draft I was hoping it would be with a 4th, but he clearly started rising late in the process and given the run on WRs he wouldn't have been available later. My expectation is that Gray will work his way into the rotation as an offensive weapon and #4 WR and can also take some pressure of RayRay McCloud in the return game.
Grade: B+

OL Spencer Burford UTSA 6'4" 304
The Niners entered Day 3 badly needing help on the OL and went for Burford late in the 4th, an OT who's got ok size, good length, moves well and shows a nasty streak. He was projected as a 4th-5th rounder but I didn't know much about him. There weren't a ton of options available here but Zak Tom, one of the most athletic OL prospects in the draft who plays OC went just a few picks later to the Packers. Burford projects as an OG with potential to kick outside and really does remind me of Jaylon Moore in terms of build and movement skills. You do have to question why the Niners keep selecting OTs only to have them learn a new position in the pros...
Grade: B-

NCB Samuel Womack Toledo 5'9" 189
I have to admit, I was stunned when I first saw this pick, as Womack didn't even have scouting reports on NFL.com or ESPN and was off most peoples' boards as a relative unknown. But then when you read up on the kid you see why he's intriguing. He's built well at 5'9", runs a blazing 4.39 40 with very good 3-cone time and has insanely long arms for someone his height. His production is also off the charts and he shows a real toughness playing inside. All in all, he does have all the tools to excel in a nickel role. I'm excited to see what Womack can do this year BUT you have to wonder if he could've been snagged far later - even as a UDFA - and this pick would've been far better spent trading up for someone like Tariq Woolen or Tycen Anderson who went just a few picks earlier.
Grade: C+

OL/OC Nick Zakelj Fordham 6'6" 313
The Niners continued to invest in the OL with another OT who projects to swing inside in the pros; in fact the Niners may see Zakelj as an OC despite the fact he doesn't have much experience. Zakelj has good size, great movement skills and is a tough competitor but has shorter arms and has a tendency to get overpowered in obvious pass sets (as seen at the Senior Bowl where he really struggled). Zakelj is an intriguing developmental prospect but especially if he can master the craft at Center, but he's at least a year away from any meaningful contribution.
Grade: C

DT Kalia Davis UCF 6'1" 303
This is my favorite pick in the draft. Davis is an EXPLOSIVE interior penetrator with a barrell chest and long arms. He moves like a much smaller man and it shows that he's a former LB who's managed to pack on some real weight and not lose much in terms of his movement ability. Davis projected as a 4th rounder - maybe even a Day 2 pick -but tore his ACL after 5 games this past year. As a result, he'll likely redshirt in 2022, but I'm very excited to see what he can do in Kris Kocurek's system.

CB Tariq Castro-Fields Penn St. 6'1" 197
Another great pick by the Niners in the 6th, grabbing an experienced CB from the BIG 10 with size and excellent athleticism. Castro-Fields is a competitive press corner with great size, speed (4.38) and overall athleticism. Despite his natural gifts he was wildly inconsistent and needs to refine his technique but this is exactly the type of player that warrants a late round selection. I can see him fitting in as the 5th or 6th CB on the squad and eventually developing to challenge for real playing time.
Grade: A-

QB Brock Purdy Iowa St. 6'1" 212
Purdy is a productive 4-year starter at the college level but has pretty middling traits across the board. He's tough, a good leader and decision-maker with the football but doesn't have an NFL arm. If Nick Mullens is your upside comp you got work to do.
Grade: C

Overall: B-
On Day 2, the Drake Jackson and Danny Gray picks are excellent but I can't get rid of the horrible taste in my mouth left by the Ty Davis-Price pick. Taking a RB in the 3rd, let alone one who doesn't appear to have any elite traits, is such a head-scratcher it borders on unforgivable error considering S Nick Cross was available. I fear this pick will rival, if not surpass, the Aaron Banks over Creed Humphrey selection last year in terms of sheer stupidity. Maybe Ty Davis-Price becomes the second coming of Frank Gore, but in terms of value, need and draft strategy it's an absurdly bad pick which really casts a shadow over the other two picks which are great.

With respect to Day 3 the Niners seemingly reached a bunch but clearly identified several players they really liked and went for them. They are also are making some aggressive projections on their OL picks that they can add the requisite strength and transition inside, but there is some potential here. Burford has a real chance given his length, movement skills and nasty demeanor. While I was first highly skeptical of Womack he does have the goods to become a long term solution at NCB. In the 6th round, the Niners clearly got value with Davis who projects as a very good rotational 3-technique and Castro-Fields who's as athletically gifted as any CB on the roster.

Overall, the team really struggles with understanding the concept of value. There is a lot to be said of identifying and grabbing the players you like, but you're wasting massive resources but continually going "off the board." We'll see how this class shakes out...
[ Edited by lp1986 on May 4, 2022 at 9:15 AM ]
I give it an A no question
We drafted Tyler Price because the team desperatly wants a RB to run in between the tackles so we dont have to use Deebo in that role which is the main complaint Deebo has with the 49ers
Hating on TDP

Guy was at LSU trucking ppl and showing his burst that's SEC football which is practically NFL
I agree with everything said here
I'm waiting for Maddog to tell me if the draft is good or not.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Hating on TDP

Guy was at LSU trucking ppl and showing his burst that's SEC football which is practically NFL

I don't think people have a problem with the player. Its the round/value. Everyone wants this to work. But taking TDP in the 3rd effectively means they are not counting on Trey Sermon and its another player in a long list of head scratching picks. The fail rate is high with the draft period and you hope to get 3 guys per draft. This team does a good job of finding either 3 guys or at least 2 in each draft who turn out to be very good if not outright top-10 at their position. So I'm never going to question their acumen on the whole. We took 9 guys and of the 9 only 1 is a wtf pick. I'll take it, but wish we could get out of our own way.

We have got 3 running backs likely under contract for the next 3 years. Im hoping (again) that we don't have to revisit this position and can go back to taking UDFA guys.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
D+

" Prepare to Fail When You Fail to Prepare "
Originally posted by lp1986:
DE Drake Jackson USC 6'3" 254
I LOVE this pick. Jackson is an absolute beast. He just turned 21 making him one of the youngest defenders in the draft but has three full seasons in the PAC-12 under his belt. Jackson explodes off the line to put OTs on their back foot and combines that with unique bendy-ness that enables him to get to the QB consistently. By all advanced metrics, he was one of the most effective pass rushers in college football last year. Where his youth comes through, however, is in his play strength. It's clear he's not nearly as solid against the run and he too often loses battles when tackles can lock on to him. However, his age, raw traits and work ethic should be moldable clay in the hands of Kris Kocurek. You can never go wrong stockpiling talented pass rushers and I was surprised to see Jackson fall this late into the second round. My ONLY quibble here is that I ever so slightly preferred Nik Bonitto from Oklahoma who went just three picks later. Bonitto isn't the complete DE that Jackson projects to become, but Bonitto is a far more refined pass rusher at this point and likely would've made a bigger impact this year.

As much as I loved the Drake Jackson pick, this was arguably the biggest "WHAT THE F**K?" pick on all of Day 2. This pick neither addressed a big need (OL, S, DB, WR) nor had any value (David-Price was projected at best as a late 4th Round Pick). I've been trying to identify a silver lining here but the more I read about Davis-Price, the more confounded I become. He was a fine RB at LSU, but never had a season where he averaged over 4.8 yards per cary. He's not particularly elusive, not particularly big and doesn't have any one special trait. So what did the Niners see here? Maybe he's the second coming of Frank Gore who can consistently pound out yards, but short of that this is a gigantic reach. Worse, it appears the Niners didn't learn their lesson from reaching for Trey Sermon last year. What makes this so much more painful is that dynamic S Nick Cross was on the board, only to go a few picks later to the Colts. Even if the Niners didn't love Cross, they could've given up very little to jump ahead of the Raiders at pick #90 to grab OG/OC Dylan Parham. Instead they used a premium pick on a RB who was far from the best available (Pierre Strong, Dameon Pierce and Zamir White would have all been far superior picks).

WR Danny Gray SMU 6'0" 186
I'm a huge Danny Gray fan who in many ways is Brandon Aiyuk Lite; a slightly smaller, slightly faster version. Gray is one of the fastest players in this draft but unlike other speed demons, he's not linear. Gray is incredibly smooth and slippery and can get in and out of his breaks to consistently get open. His got some work to do on his hands and needs find more consistency, but he has a chance to become an explosive #2 or #3 WR in this league who takes the top off defenses. A month or so back I was hoping we'd be able to nab Gray in the 5th, then a few weeks leading up to the draft I was hoping it would be with a 4th, but he clearly started rising late in the process and given the run on WRs he wouldn't have been available later. My expectation is that Gray will work his way into the rotation as an offensive weapon and #4 WR and can also take some pressure of RayRay McCloud in the return game.
Grade: B+

Overall: C+
The Drake Jackson and Danny Gray picks are excellent but I can't get rid of the horrible taste in my mouth left by the Ty Davis-Price pick. Taking a RB in the 3rd, let alone one who doesn't appear to have any elite traits, is such a head-scratcher it borders on unforgivable error considering S Nick Cross was available. I fear this pick will rival, if not surpass, the Aaron Banks over Creed Humphrey selection last year in terms of sheer stupidity. Maybe Ty Davis-Price becomes the second coming of Frank Gore, but in terms of value, need and draft strategy it's an absurdly bad pick which really casts a shadow over the other two picks which are great.

[This thread will be updated following Day 3]

Not saying I am pounding the table or even wanted the guy but if you are looking for silver lining. RB was absolutely a need and a high need at that. We had to turn our best wr into a rb because the room was so injured last year. He is very big playing at 230 lbs last year. Also, pick 93 is far from a premium pick it's basically the fourth round. Can you get quality players there? Certainly but premium picks are picks 1-15 in most drafts. Finally I would agree and would've love Pierre strong and that 4.3 speed but it's pretty obvious with the sermon and this pick they want a bruiser for short yardage and power running. Again, not saying I love the pick but there's some silver lining
Going into the draft we all said our shopping list are for an ER, S, C, WR, CB. We addressed the Edge with Drake Jackson, got 2 CB, 2 OL, 1 DL to develop and improve depth. We got a speedster WR but got surprised by another RB picked early. What took place last season with Deebo and how much we run and use our RB, adding a bruiser type and a chain mover makes perfectly sense. Even though we've been hoping for a Safety and a Center, it looks like they are pretty satisfied with what we have at those positions. Our haul on UDFA also look solid and hopefully couple of them develop and become future contributors as well. Where we were drafting and we also got Lance a year early, on paper I like our draft.
A-

61. I was hoping Sky Moore, Cam Taylor Britt, or Ed Ingram would fall to make the conversation interesting, but for me the options at 61 were Jackson or Bonitto. I think Bonitto might be more of an instant spark plug as a designed pass rusher with elite speed off the edge, but Jackson has more potential for a polished product. Hard to fault the pick as edge was a big need and on my board had the best value here. Get Jackson in a NFL weight room and he's got a real shot

93. I really question not trying to move up a bit here. We've got 6th round picks to play with and I had Sean Rhyan as a perfect fit on our OL. Marcus Jones at the nickel as well. If there is any doubt about Mack coming back, then Parham would be worth targeting. As it stands, I had Price rated the same as Kevin Harris who went in the 6th round to the Patriots. The way the board fell, I think you have to consider Nick Cross or Kerby Joseph here. RB is a need, but one I feel better about addressing late. That being said, running behind our O Line in a KS offense is not the hardest thing to do. So if Price puts up numbers, the decision will appear to be validated. But I would have taken Cross.

105. Didnt understand the Gray pick either. Didnt have a 3rd round grade on him. Not sure a 4th round grade either. There wasnt a WR picked after him for 21 picks, so Gray aside, the league as whole didnt value WRs here. I go with the bigger need at CB. Damarri Mathis is guy thats going to fight for snaps right away as a nickel corner to me. Elite speed and athleticism. Can tackle. Looked like a great fit. Pitt has a recent track record of putting out solid CBs, K'waun Williams included. Seems play and play to me

134. In my draft I've gone DE, S, CB, so OL seems reasonable to address next. I dont dislike the Burford pick. I really like his length as guard. Could be a bit of a project, but he has the athleticism. Could turn out to be a starter in time. Having passed on Gray earlier, I probably dont let Calvin Austin slip past here.

172, 187, 220, 221 address needs at CB, OL, and DL and are shots in the dark anyway, so I cant be too critical here. If anything I thought we should have drafted Dohnovan West, but I supposed bringing him in a UDFA in even better. I like the Davis pick.
Originally posted by lp1986:

Some good picks and some questionable picks. I give the draft a B for now. I would've gave it a C if it wasn't for the UDFA we picked up.
Always trust the experts over my "dirt in the wind" analysis! LOL! That said, a comment about each, and why I believe they were selected (thanks to some great posts above to go from):

2 (29) Drake Jackson, USC OLB--high need area and a player who has skills the 9ers do not have currently...OK...until now! Should be a situational pass rusher right away.

3 (29) Tyrion Davis-Price, LSU RB--as said, he is a big back to pound those "hard to get" short yardage situations.

3 (41) Danny Gray, SMU WR--Al Davis is smiling down on this pick--speed, speed, speed! Stretch the field for Deebo and/or Aiyuk underneath.

4 (29) Spencer Burford, UTSA OT--team has needed to bolster the OL with young talent and this was the first of several pickups.

5 (29) Samuel Womack, Toledo CB--hopefully, the team can find some DBs who are able to stay healthy and learn behind the starters. If they earn a starting position? Great!

6 (8) Nick Zakelj, Fordham OT--same as Burford. Both these guys are zone type players from what I've read. Also read that they have flexibiity to play OG or OT, perhaps even OC? OK...probably not OC.

6 (42) Kalia Davis, UCF DT--Lost a stud NT, drafted Davis. Seems like he will at least be a situational goal line/short yardage clog.

6 (43) Tariq Castro-Fields, Penn State CB--Same as Womack...

7 (41) Brock Purdy, Iowa State QB--OK...this one is a puzzle, but perhaps Kyle sees him as a smart, heady backup to help teach Trey? Purdy is supposed to be a very mature, smart guy. No idea if true but hope so. Worst case senario? He replaces the practice squad QB.

I though the niners might draft OC West but they picked him up as a FA so...GREAT! Team prepares for post-Mack era!

PS Not going to grade this draft...it never works out the way I think it will. Purdy may start next year and become the second coming of Joe Montana.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 3, 2022 at 3:51 PM ]
F- is a little harsh. He is a back we need. Is it a reach? Hell yeah and is my least favorite pick personally. But I get why they picked this guy. I wonder how much input Lynn had with this pick?
Share 49ersWebzone