There are 233 users in the forums

2022 Off-Season, FA, Draft, Final 53

Going to start from the Final 53 and work back.

*Free Agent *Re-Sign *Rookie

OFFENSE (25)

QB (2): Trey Lance, Tyrod Taylor
RB (4): Elijiah Mitchell, Trey Sermon, Jeff Wilson Jr, Trenton Cannon
FB (1): Kyle Juszczyk
TE (3): George Kittle, Durham Smythe, Charlie Woerner
WR (6): Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk, Jauan Jennings, Cedrick Wilson, Trent Sherfield, Jalen Cropper
OT (3): Trent Williams, Jaylon Moore, Justin Skule
OG (4): Laken Tomlinson, Aaron Banks, Zion Nelson, Daniel Brunskill
C (2): Alex Mack, Dohnovan West

DEFENSE (25)

ED (5): Nick Bosa, Arden Key, Samson Ebukam, Jordan Willis, Dee Ford
DL (5): Javon Kinlaw, Jordan Davis, Charles Omenihu, Josh Tupou, Kevin Givens
LB (4): Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Azeez Al-Shaair, Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
CB (6): Emmanuel Moseley, K'Waun Williams, Ambry Thomas, Deommodore Lenoir. Isaiah Oliver, Alontae Taylor
S (5): Jimmie Ward, Talanoa Hufanga, Jaquiski Tartt, Xavier Woods, Bennett Williams

ST (3)

Robbie Gould
Mitch Wishnowsky
Taybor Pepper

PS (18)

QB Jake Haener-UDFA
RB JaMychal Hasty
FB Josh Hokit
TE Ross Dwelley
WR Christian Watson-UDFA
WR Alec Pierce-UDFA
WR Devin Funchess
OL Alfredo Gutierrez
OL Tom Compton
OL Jake Brendel
DL Kentavius Street
DL Alex Barrett
LB Ventrell Miller-UDFA
LB Marcell Harris
CB Dontae Johnson
CB Davontae Harris
DB Will Parks
S Kai Nacua

DRAFT

2nd RD. 49ers trade 2nd and 4th to move up and draft Jordan Davis DT Georgia who slips after the combine,
3rd RD COMP. Zion Nelson OT/G Miami
5th. Dohnovan West C Arizona State
6th. Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee
7th. Bennett Williams DB Oregon
7th. Jalen Cropper WR Fresno State
UDFA Jake Haner QB Fresno State
UDFA Christian Watson WR North Dakota State
UDFA Alec Pierce WR Cincinnati

FREE AGENCY
* While I do expect 1yr contracts, these numbers and years represent what I believe the team will be or is willing to be on the hook for. Tyrod Taylors contract may be a 2 year 10-12 million contract but I would expect them to keep it as low as possible upfront.

QB. Tyrod Taylor - 1yr 4 mil
RB. Jeff Wilson - 3yr 10 mil
RB. Trenton Cannon - Minimum
RB. JaMychal Hasty - Minimum
TE. Durham Smythe - 1yr 2.5mil
TE. Ross Dwelley - Minimum
WR. Jauan Jennings - 3yr 10 mil
WR. Cedrick Wilson - 1yr 3 mil
WR. Trent Sherfield - Minimum
OL. Laken Tomlinson - 1yr 5 mil
OL. Daniel Brunskill - Minimum
DL. Josh Tupou -1yr 3 mil
DL. Kevin Givens - 1yr Minimum
ED. Arden Key - 3yr 14 mil
ED. Jordan Willis - 1yr Minimum
LB. Azeez Al-Shaair - 3yr 17.5 mil
CB K'Waun Williams - 3yr+1void 15 mil
CB. Isaiah Oliver - 1yr 2.5 mil
CB. Dontae Johnson - 1yr Minimum
S. Xavier Woods - 1yr 2.5 mil
S. Jaquiski Tartt - 1yr Minimum

Roster Moves

QB Jimmy G- Carolina is really the only destination i see as viable for all 3 sides for a trade, unless Tannehill continues to have bad to horrible games. From a financial aspect I also believe it is in Jimmy's best interest to be traded to a team he could help get to the playoffs. At that point the team would be forced to A. Give him an extension which would essentially be a raise on his current contract B. Sign a better QB for more money and let other players go C. Go for a top pick in the 2023 draft. Being released more than likely gets him the Prove-it/ but really you're a Bridge contract. Teams are far more likely to convince themselves they can get the same for less or go all in.

Saves around 27,000,000

Arik Armstead- 20,000,000 cap hit with 16,000,000 dead money for net 4,000,000 in savings. Now I am not 100% on how this would/could play out. His contract only had 26.5 mil in full guarantees which is really what allows this move to be made. I believe the dead cap could be spread out, but I don't know how that works in regards to trades. I believe the 49ers could trade Armstead and get a 3rd or 4th or possibly Armstead and their 3rd RD Comp to move up.

Saves 4,000,000 possibly more

Mike McGlinchey- Fully Guaranteed 5th year option 10,880,000 + Quad Tear I believe. This is just me believing that McGlinchey isn't worth the 15, 17, to 20 million he will get on the market. Jaylon Moore has earned a spot, and Laken Tomlinson is a more consistent player that can be kept at a lower rate. Push Aaron Banks to RG and allow Brunskill to be a back up. Justin Skule can push Brunskill to interior back up once he is fully recovered and be the swing tackle. Because of the guarantee McGlinchey would have to be recovered before the start of the season so that he could be traded.

Potential Savings up to 10,880,000 depending on when traded. I believe the money is paid out week to week during the season but I'm not 100%.

Jimmie Ward- Extend, convert to signing bonus and drop cap hit. Ward seems to be a 49er lifer. Give him a 3 yr extension with 1 or 2 more void years to keep his cap hit low.

Potential Savings 4,000,000

I rounded up a bit when running the numbers but this would leave the team with around 6-10 million in cap space before the draft which isn't much. It's a little to much to try and figure out possible restructures and extensions and then work those in. For now at least.

Let me know what you think of the roster, if there is any player you would have tried to bring in instead, any other moves you would or wouldn't have made etc. Cheers
[ Edited by NinerLegionnaire on Nov 26, 2021 at 12:21 PM ]
First, the good. I like Jordan Davis, Dohnovan West, and Alontae Taylor, and I like each of them a lot.

However, Jordan Davis is likely a first rounder, and not sure why his seemingly freakish athleticism and his undeniably freakish size would HURT his draft stock after the combine. He is a key member on the best defense in CFB. West and Taylor are also likely to both be day two picks. Alec Pierce definitely gets drafted.

We are weak at edge outside of Bosa, and while you did nothing to help the position, you actually made the team worse by getting rid of AA. I understand a lot of fans don't like the contract, and don't like getting rid of Buckner, but those things already happened. We can't compound bad decisions with more bad decisions.
is there a chance we net a First for Jimmy?
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
First, the good. I like Jordan Davis, Dohnovan West, and Alontae Taylor, and I like each of them a lot.

However, Jordan Davis is likely a first rounder, and not sure why his seemingly freakish athleticism and his undeniably freakish size would HURT his draft stock after the combine. He is a key member on the best defense in CFB. West and Taylor are also likely to both be day two picks. Alec Pierce definitely gets drafted.

We are weak at edge outside of Bosa, and while you did nothing to help the position, you actually made the team worse by getting rid of AA. I understand a lot of fans don't like the contract, and don't like getting rid of Buckner, but those things already happened. We can't compound bad decisions with more bad decisions.

I should have phrased it better. I think Jordan Davis is seen as a 1T with some pass rush potential, but hes more of an elite run defender who can bull rush. I think 3T and 5T are more valued in the 1st. After the combine others will rise, and I can see a team not wanting to spend their 1st on a 1T that doesn't really have any pass rush moves. At the same time you are also right and I could definitely see the Eagles taking him with 1 of their 1st rounders.

With West and Taylor there seems to be players not only ahead of them but around them that fit certain schemes better than others. Again though they could definitely go earlier, this early I am more focused on building and filling the team out. So less player more position and draft slot.

On AA were gonna have to agree to disagree.

AA isn't our 2nd best pass rusher Arden Key is. Doubtful Key and others are retained with Armstead's 20 million cap hit. Re-signing Key is doing something.

Next Edge rusher isn't as weak as the Interior. Kinlaw hasn't lived up to potential yet although he has been injured. DJ jones will more than likely be paid more than the team can afford. Outside of those 2 you have guys like Kevin Givens and Kentavius Street who have both been inconsistent vs the run.

Talent and Cap-wise Nick Bosa and Dee Ford are locks. Samson Ebukam is under contract and Arden Key has been the 2nd best pass rusher. That's a solid rush rotation.

On the Interior Kinlaw is recovering from Knee Surgery and I expect DJ Jones to be gone. Charles Omenihu is a 5T similar to Armstead, both of which are strong side run defenders who kick inside on passing downs. IMO Bosa, Key, Ebukam/Ford are enough to justify moving on from Armstead at 20 million as a pass rusher. The moves I made inside counter his loss as a run defender, and save money.

If Jordan Davis does go 1st, it doesn't change much. They need to identify an interior run defender with pass rush potential and an interior OL most likely Center to be an understudy for Alex Mack and potentially push the guards for a spot. Maybe you trade up for OL instead and identify a mid round run defender.

I did touch on restructures a tiny bit, maybe there are some obvious moves to make room both short term and long term, but for me I see Jimmy G, AA, and McGlinchey as contracts that need to be moved for short and more importantly long term flexibility.
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
is there a chance we net a First for Jimmy?

Lol only if he's on the roster week 8 and a team who is 8-0 just lost its starter for the season, and even then idk.

I would expect a future mid round pick and possibly an underachieving player whose contract is also about to expire.
Tyrod Taylor would start over Lance. He's too good to back him up.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
those Aztecs from San Diego gots some Diamond in The Rough type of players !!!

DE - Cam Thomas ( late 2nd to mid 3rd)

P/PK - Matt Araiza ( Kyle and Lynch are smart enough to gamble on hurt players in the 2nd round, why not take trade down in the 3rd and take this guy.. not only will he be the best punter in the NFL after his 2nd game, he can also be a replacement to Gould

WR - Jesse Matthews ( best hands in NCAA this year... will be a steal early in the 5th ) !!
Originally posted by BamaNiner:

Still salty they took Lance huh? Your hatred is childish if you think Lance isn't going to start next year add the fact you think a guy like Taylor new to the system is going to come here and start over Lance. Stop crying and accept the fact Lance is the future and it's beyond comical you think Taylor is some awesome qb that you believe he'll start over Lance
[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Nov 27, 2021 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by BamaNiner:

Yeah, right. Sure he is.
Your draft valuations on the top two picks are wishful thinking. Both David and Nelson are first rounders. Those two needs (DT and OT) should also be further down the list after CB, SS, Edge and WR.

Like Dohnovan West and Alontae Taylor picks. Solid values at positions of need.

Share 49ersWebzone