There are 123 users in the forums

With the 3rd Overall Pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the 49ers will take:

With the 3rd Overall Pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the 49ers will take:

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
The obvious pick is Wilson if he is there. duh So much Patrick Mahomes present there.

I am not sold on Fields. He reminds me too much of Kaepernick - one read and run. Those types of QBs who run a lot do not generally last long enough for the investment you have to make in the position. Yes, he performed against good competition, however, he did not face the defensive complexities he will face in the NFL.

Lance is my preference of the two remaining after Wilson. I haven't seen a lot of him but he just seems to see the field better. Shanahan is going to take the one who is the better game manager of the two. After all, running his scheme is the key to success. I believe Lance will do that better than Fields.

I don't think so. I think they need to uncover if any of the character concerns are legit. Maybe it's nothing. But they have to check.

Also, Wilson is nearly the same risk as Lance. Wilson played exactly one game against a quality team...and he was...a bad QB.
The 1st two are the 1st two picks,...orderless. Anyone that thinks they've got this QB order thing down,...feel free to fill in the 6 blanks???

1. L̶a̶w̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ W̶i̶l̶s̶o̶n̶ _________

2. L̶a̶w̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ L̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ _________

3. L̶a̶w̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ F̶i̶e̶l̶d̶s̶ _________

4. F̶i̶e̶l̶d̶s̶ W̶i̶l̶s̶o̶n̶ _________

5. F̶i̶e̶l̶d̶s̶ L̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ _________

6. W̶i̶l̶s̶o̶n̶ L̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ _________

All of us being in a joyous mood in spite of no 1st rounders for years, let's see who gets this right.
  • dj43
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by dj43:
The obvious pick is Wilson if he is there. duh So much Patrick Mahomes present there.

I am not sold on Fields. He reminds me too much of Kaepernick - one read and run. Those types of QBs who run a lot do not generally last long enough for the investment you have to make in the position. Yes, he performed against good competition, however, he did not face the defensive complexities he will face in the NFL.

Lance is my preference of the two remaining after Wilson. I haven't seen a lot of him but he just seems to see the field better. Shanahan is going to take the one who is the better game manager of the two. After all, running his scheme is the key to success. I believe Lance will do that better than Fields.

I don't think so. I think they need to uncover if any of the character concerns are legit. Maybe it's nothing. But they have to check.

Also, Wilson is nearly the same risk as Lance. Wilson played exactly one game against a quality team...and he was...a bad QB.

What have you heard about character concerns? I have heard nothing. BYU doesn't let many of those in.

I disagree with your assessment of Wilson against CC. After he adjusted to their pressure, he led a great comeback.
[ Edited by dj43 on Mar 27, 2021 at 1:13 PM ]
I wish people would actually watch some Mac Jones highlights, listen to what Simms, Kiper and others are saying about him... instead of just freaking out like it's the end of the world
Originally posted by DoseOfBosa:
I wish people would actually watch some Mac Jones highlights, listen to what Simms, Kiper and others are saying about him... instead of just freaking out like it's the end of the world

There's your problem right there, you learn very little about a prospect from highlights.

If you're time strapped you can learn so much more from cut ups, but full games are best as replay is the closest thing we can get to All-22.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

There's your problem right there, you learn very little about a prospect from highlights.

If you're time strapped you can learn so much more from cut ups, but full games are best as replay is the closest thing we can get to All-22.

Haha watching games reinforces the Mac Jones pick. Mac resembles Joe Burrow, Kyle wants his own Joe Burrow and he's gonna get it. SanFran skill position fantasy numbers are about to sky rocket.
1. Zach Wilson, Jags
2. Trey Lance, Jets
3. Trevor Lawrence...
I'm good if it's Lance but I have a hard time thinking Lynch and Shanny are basically putting their jobs on the line for a guy who played 1 season in FCS.

Kyle has personally known Fields for at least 4 years now according to the QB camp they run. I think that makes a lot of sense that Kyle knows who he is getting with Fields and is comfortable giving up what we did.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'm good if it's Lance but I have a hard time thinking Lynch and Shanny are basically putting their jobs on the line for a guy who played 1 season in FCS.

Kyle has personally known Fields for at least 4 years now according to the QB camp they run. I think that makes a lot of sense that Kyle knows who he is getting with Fields and is comfortable giving up what we did.

I think that's being overlooked a bit.

Does any NFL coach know Fields better than Kyle does? Urban I guess.
[ Edited by boomer49er on Mar 27, 2021 at 3:54 PM ]
Any chance we take the OT at 3 and a QB to develop in the second?

Originally posted by boomer49er:
I think that's being overlooked a bit.

Does any NFL coach know Fields better than Kyle does? Urban I guess.

Urban left Ohio State before Fields played a snap there. I don't know why people think they have this sort of close relationship.
Originally posted by Joecool:

You don't trade multiple firsts to move up for an OT.
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:

Haha watching games reinforces the Mac Jones pick. Mac resembles Joe Burrow, Kyle wants his own Joe Burrow and he's gonna get it. SanFran skill position fantasy numbers are about to sky rocket.

Yeah, if you're identifying the best college QB, we'll see how much of it translates into the NFL.

It was a worthwhile discussion at #12, and I still preferred Lance, but when put against Wilson or Fields he just pales as an NFL prospect.

Joe Burrow's arm is stronger (albeit not especially), he's much more creative, moving to make throws or run for first downs and he was more accurate.

Mac is diet Joe Burrow

yeah but my point is, a lot of people who are complaining about the idea of Mac, haven't even watched the highlights
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:

You don't trade multiple firsts to move up for an OT.

Especially a guy who would end up playing right tackle
Share 49ersWebzone