LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 271 users in the forums

10-year analysis of NFL draft: capital, return, and efficiency

This is a great article I found. Shows per year each team's relative draft capital, the relative value of players drafted, and the efficiency (return/capital).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

The 49ers had poor drafts 2012-2014, with 2012 ranking historically bad: 2/320 in poorest drafts of last 10 years. Really makes you think what could have been... if those drafts were even average, would surely have pushed 49ers through more NFC championships and Superbowls.

Lynch/Shanahan are slightly above average over the last 3 years, 12th, but on an upward trend. Over the same 3-year period, Buffalo rated best with KC just behind. Surprisingly, NE is the worst, far below the 2nd-worst Jets... NE has fallen off a cliff compared to being 3rd-best in years 2010-2016.

The Seahawks have done exceedingly well, being propelled to success by drafts like 2012 which included Bobby Wagner and Russel Wilson in rounds 2 and 3.
Good article. Kind of scary how good Seattle would be if they could hit on their first round picks. They are great at getting talent in the mid rounds but man their first picks are huge reaches.

If SF keeps having some good drafts like the majority of Lynch's drafts, I'd bet they will be near the top in 5 years.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
Good article. Kind of scary how good Seattle would be if they could hit on their first round picks. They are great at getting talent in the mid rounds but man their first picks are huge reaches.

If SF keeps having some good drafts like the majority of Lynch's drafts, I'd bet they will be near the top in 5 years.

Nice that this is being confirmed. For them to be 12th when you include the disaster that was mostly 2017 is pretty damn good.
Share 49ersWebzone