There are 118 users in the forums

Grade 49ers 1st Round in the 2020 Draft!

Grade 49ers 1st Round in the 2020 Draft!

A- we need quality not quantity right now. We already went through the quantity phase now we need starters
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
If We drafted the new Seymour and Garcon it is a good first round. But, we should have traded 31 for a second and third. There were good WRs to be had in the second and moving up and costing the team 2 mid round picks which we need more of for a position that was loaded made me drop it to a C-. I like the players I hate the use of those picks.

I totally expect us to trade away a player or 2 for a second or 3rd round pick now. Richie James and Breaia for a 3rd and maybe Goodwin for a 5th

oh man, i hope YUCK isn't the next GARCON !!! HECCCCKKK NOHHHHHHH PLEASSEEEEEE !!!
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The way I grade a draft is a combination of value and need. The 2 rarely align so it is hard to get an A grade. Either you reach for a position of need, or you take BPA that gives you the most value.

So in my mind, Kinlaw was an A pick. Value pick at a position of need. Assuming the 49ers sniped Aiyuk just before another team, I would give the value a C, but downgrading to D due to the cost of the trade. I will bump it back up to a C pick since it was a position of need. Put it together, and I rate the first round as a B.

Having said that, if the players pan out you can rate this an A draft. They have picked great DL, and also drafted Solomon Thomas. They have drafted Deebo, and also Pettis. So, it is hard to say whether they deserve our trust drafting DL/WR or not.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
49ers considered 6 players at 13.

They got 2 of them.

If you trust their eye for talent - that's an A draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hours ago i would have said abut B- to C+ . They got the guys they needed to:

Fill the huge hole left by. Buck's leaving.

Fill the hole left by Sanders leaving.

Then i started on film learning. One word. WOW! For both guys. Kinlaw is just an amazing talent, quick , fast , and i sure don't know where he doesn't finish comes from. Baldinger showed a clip of him trying to chase down a WR 40 yds downfield...that isn't "not finishing" The low # of sacks and hurries... hey the guy routinely was doubled, and sometimes got trips. That'll keep your sacks and hurries down. Looking at film for over an hour i love this guy. Love the enthusiasm. Love the brute strength. JL/KS didn't just fill a hole in mid DL. They filled it with a 4+ STUD. A+.

Aiyuk...saw him play part of a game or two , knew nothing about him. Didn't like giving up the picks we had just gotten back so was a bit biased. Then the film. Holy schid, what a sensational player. Oh, ran a 4.5. 40. Yeah, just like Jerry Rice's 40. Nothing special...right up until he gets the ball in his hands and just like Jerry, nobody can catch him. Same on punt returns.

But the real deal is this kid is ALL arms. 81 " wingspan is just under 1 1/2 ft less per side than a California condor, with a 10 ft wingspan. And his vertical was 40" with 9 1/2 hands. And watching film you can see him take balls away from defenders, fake DBs out of their shorts, put moves on guys who had him dead to rights, and has a knack to get open over the middle, over the top, heck...anywhere. Man, you put him out there with Deebo, Bourne, au Jus, Brieda, Kittle, Dwelley(who starts this yr), and then throw in Hurd, TT, and Jet...man that is something that is spectacular. I can't believe i didn't see this kid play sooner. Jeez he is fantastic.

Here's the last thing. Kyle moved up 5 slots to take him. JL says he and Kinlaw were foundational players, meaning guys like Bosa, kittle, JG, Arik, warner, Joe, McG, Deebo..guys you can build a team around. And did they ever hit it out of the park wiht Aiyuk and Kinlaw.

Grade before film study...C
After film study....A+

Overall A+

Suggestion for those that didn't like our draft: Go spend a couple hours watching all the film you can find on each of them , and if you aren't taken by both guys i will be amazed. Film doesn't lie. And those two picks are right at the top. Sure i would have liked OT (for OG) . None of us know, but KS.and JL do, how Brunskill is coming along. It must be well, and same for Richburg. Still i bet we nail down some potential talent at OG and C. Same for CB...almost surely we will see picks and UDFAs brot in for OL and CB.

Also keep in mind JL makes a living off of rd 5 picks...kittle, TT, DJJones (in 6-7), so it ain't over til it's over. Also JL brot Sanders here midseason, and JG here midseason. So like it or not, draft/UDFA/ trades are a long way from being over. Only after that and say 8-10 games into season will the doubters be able to say "i'm Sorry i questioned the picks" or "see, i told you so".

For now, none of those statements can be made. UDFA has also been a good venue for JL. But based on film study...he and kyle just had a spectacular draft, and its only day 1.

Well Doc, we're in the choose last (or 2nd to last in the draft) era with ShanaLynch every year from here on in --- phase of this organization. I can say that to me it was totally unexpected and early. I didn't think we'd get here so darn fast. I thought last year would be 8-8 or 10-6 and barely make the playoffs and go one and done. This year was where I thought we'd go deep into the playoffs and start drafting almost dead last every year from here on in.

Having said that, this is a good team, I highly doubt if picks any later than 2nd could be easily guaranteed make this team. This is a super bowl team, and having lost two starters, they got two starters in this years draft. I just looked at New England and they traded out of the first round and basically looks like they are in rebuilding mode with Brady gone. I think this team is close to the level of last years team with the addition of Kinlaw and Aiyuk. I think Day 3 and Undrafted Free agency will be icing on the cake and hopefully add depth at Edge, Corner and OLine -- the key to New England's dominance has been getting those undrafted free agents to play well and become eventual starters -- so here it comes, day 3 and the undrafteds. I can't wait to see how this develops. And if it develops the way the first two picks of 2020 go - this is going to be another very good draft, along the lines of the last couple of years.
Originally posted by 4ML:
49ers considered 6 players at 13.

They got 2 of them.

If you trust their eye for talent - that's an A draft.

Yup
They got their Buckner replacement for 1/8th the price and under control for 5 years to keep the Dline domimant. They got their replacement for Sanders and moreso a WR that could also stretch the field. They filled 2 needs and got the guys they wanted going into the draft. I would say that was pretty good.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I gave it a C-.

Kinlaw is a really good player. He is very talented. I had him 22nd overall on my board. He has some injury issues in the past that need to be monitored. He has a great backstory of overcoming tough odds. These are all positive aspects to the player and pick.

However, when you have the best player on the board at the most important position of need, you pull the trigger. You don't play cute. The Niners need a wideout who you line up against their best CB and beats that player. No gimmick, no trickery. Just flat out wins. That is Ceedee Lamb. This is a lost opportunity.

You have to respect the Cowboys. They didn't need another star wide receiver. They needed defensive help. But, there was no way they were passing on Lamb when he dropped to them. Talent wins over everything else. The Niners had the opportunity to match talent and need, and flopped.

As for Aiyuk, he is a nice WR. A good WR. However, there were better wide receivers on the board (Mims, Pittman), and the team didn't need to sacrifice three picks to pick up a player at his talent level. We really could have used those extra mid-round picks.

As for me, I picked Lamb and Josh Jones, who will be a starting LT in the NFL. Would have been equally thrilled with Lamb and Winfield. The key player is Lamb. We were too cute, and therefore a lost opportunity.

C-

This is what experienced front offices do. You can tell the Niners FO panicked. That's what inexperience does, and it's going to be the downfall of this team.

How did we panic? Wtf.

I'm sorry Maddog but you're dead wrong. Maybe I missed your top players list somewhere but I would love to see 21 players better than Kinlaw.

Lamb would have been good but not at the cost of Kinlaw + a WR I truly feel they wanted as much or more.

There's a reason the 49ers were in the Superbowl and the Cowboys are always sitting at home. The "experienced" FOs draft players to fit their scheme. Lmao I can't believe you both are applauding the Cowboys when we know how that story ends every.single.year.

Losing respect for posters left and right who clearly focus more on public perception and combine numbers than actually watching and understanding the fit of these picks to our scheme. No one should be shocked that Aiyuk was our top guy if you watch his film.

Great post.
Share 49ersWebzone