LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

If it came down to it, which would you choose and why...............

If it came down to it, which would you choose and why...............

Originally posted by Andra:
It's like buying a car. mini van or sports car and being a family man myself I'm going with Andrew Thomas the mini van. Safe, practical, and will protect your Precious cargo (Jimmy G) for a long time. Sports cars like Jeudy or any of the top receivers for that matter, my favorite being Lamb, who I definitely would love to have are fun to fantasize about, but rarely give you a return on your investment that a mini van does.

I love this!
When it comes to left tackle you want to be on top of the situation not begging Staley to return every year and praying father time doesn't catch him because you have no backup plan. If the next Staley is there you take him then ship Joe out after a bridge season.

Not sure if Thomas is that but if he is he should be the pick. Otherwise you go Ruggs, Juedy.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 7, 2020 at 3:47 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
When it comes to left tackle you want to be on top of the situation not begging Staley to return every year and praying father time doesn't catch him because you have no backup plan. If the next Staley is there you take him then ship Joe out after a bridge season.

Not sure if Thomas is that but if he is he should be the pick. Otherwise you go Ruggs, Juedy.

He has missed 12 games the last 4 years and has "played through" a lot of other medicals.
Im on aboard the WR train (mostly Lamb) but this kind of reminds me of 2018 when we took McGlinchey out of no where.

We have no clue who they covet and there are about 4 tackles that could go in the top 15. Wouldnt surprise me one bit if they want one. Not the sexy pick but you can never go wrong in selecting OL
I don't think we know how good Brunskill can get.
The Zone is gonna be so sad on draft day when Jeudy is available at 13 and we pass on him for an OT.
Originally posted by NCommand:
He has missed 12 games the last 4 years and has "played through" a lot of other medicals.

That's a concern. When you get older, the body starts to break down and it takes longer to recover. Even if Staley plays 2 more years we can expect a drop off in his play. Having his eventual replacement ready to come in when he gets hurt or needs a break would be smart. I'm really torn between tavkle and WR but if a good tackle falls to us it may be the way to go. I still think we could get a receiver that would help us at #31.
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Thomas
Both excellent prospects. T has more value than WR they are harder to find. Especially in this years Draft.
Honestly I wouldn't be mad either way.

Agree...and for this reason....There are 16 WRs in this draft with an "A+" or "A" rating according to Draft Scout. The Niners can get a franchise OT in the first round, trade down from 31 and still get a damn good wide-out. Just sayin'.

Cheers!
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I don't think we know how good Brunskill can get.

That may be true but he provides valuable depth. If he became the starter then we lose a guy that provides that depth.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Thomas
Both excellent prospects. T has more value than WR they are harder to find. Especially in this years Draft.
Honestly I wouldn't be mad either way.

Agree...and for this reason....There are 16 WRs in this draft with an "A+" or "A" rating according to Draft Scout. The Niners can get a franchise OT in the first round, trade down from 31 and still get a damn good wide-out. Just sayin'.

Cheers!

Yep. Claypool, Mihms, Jefferson, Aiyuk. Lots of potential star WRs available at 31.

Andrew Thomas.

I know one of these WR prospects is going to end up a stud, but no one is really sticking out to me from a really deep pool of prospects. They're all good prospects, not elite. Andrew Thomas could be an elite prospect at a position of need (depending on how detrimental it would be to move him around from tackle to guard and eventually back to tackle.

That said, if Thomas falls to 13, I would expect a lot of interest from around the league and wouldn't mind trading down for a big haul if it came to that. We desperately need a talent infusion across the board imo. Pretty much everywhere except DE and S could use an upgrade at a starting position. And QB, if such an opportunity ever presented itself...
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
All this OT makes a lot of sense, it's just that the 4 players worth taking at 13 will go in the 1st 11 or 12 picks, IMO.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Im on aboard the WR train (mostly Lamb) but this kind of reminds me of 2018 when we took McGlinchey out of no where.

We have no clue who they covet and there are about 4 tackles that could go in the top 15. Wouldnt surprise me one bit if they want one. Not the sexy pick but you can never go wrong in selecting OL

You can always go wrong selecting OL, just as much as any other position an OL can bust
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by miked1978:

You can always go wrong selecting OL, just as much as any other position an OL can bust

True,

But, how often do we expect the 49ers to have the 13th pick in the next few years. There is a strong opportunity to get a franchise left tackle, something rare for Super Bowl contending teams.

I am all on the WR train, but I can absolutely see the value in protecting a 100 million dollar QB.
Originally posted by All22:
Yep. Claypool, Mihms, Jefferson, Aiyuk. Lots of potential star WRs available at 31.

Claypool at 31 is gross. Drafting claypool in the first 3 rds is gross imo.

Also are you sure mims/Jefferson/aiyuk will be there at 31? There's a ton of teams that could go WR ahead of us and there's teams right after us that can move up to get one of those WRs as well.

Point is just because there's a lot of good WRs doesn't mean SF is gonna be able to get the one they want/value later. We got 31 other teams (with a lot more higher end picks) that will value the talent at WR as well.
Share 49ersWebzone