LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

If it came down to it, which would you choose and why...............

If it came down to it, which would you choose and why...............

I'd take Thomas over any wideout in this draft. When you factor in out how deep this draft is at Wr it makes the decision much easier. I'd also much rather have our next franchise left tackle waiting in the wings than be left scrambling to find one if Staley retires next offseason.
both are good picks, but the correct answer is neither. Not sure when banking on a rookie WR to lead the offense became a win now strategy. And LT is not an immediate need. Thomas has great value at 13, but you are picking for next year. If that is the desire, why not move back and stock some picks and take a developmental tackle like Ezra Cleveland or Prince Tega, who could legitimately be starting tackles in 2021 and provide depth until then. and you cant say Thomas and then point to the depth in the second round at WR because we dont have a pick there. We would have to trade back to get there.

to me win now mode getting is getting 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and get contributors across the team. I'm willing to pass on a potential #1 WR, trading back instead for a late first round DT/OG/CB and later for an absolute playmaker at WR. Those guys are littered throughout the draft whether it be Aiyuk, Regaor, Hammler, Antonio Gibson, Lynn Bowden, Duvernay. Can come out without a weapon for KS to scheme around.
I'll take the Jew.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I love Jeudy, but Andrew Thomas is an easy answer here. Tackles are infinitely more valuable than a WR.

This. Its mind boggling that Thomas was considered a top prospect for so much of the season and then some other guys blew up at the Combine and suddenly he's an afterthought. If he's sitting there for some reason at #13, you can snag your left tackle for years to come. No reason why they couldn't plug him in at guard for a year so you're not drafting a backup with your first pick.

This is the sensible choice especially given how deep this draft is for WR and given this is truly a running offense now and a play action passing game built off that running game.
There's no guarantee that they'll be in a position to do a year from now.

Underrated point.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
both are good picks, but the correct answer is neither. Not sure when banking on a rookie WR to lead the offense became a win now strategy. And LT is not an immediate need. Thomas has great value at 13, but you are picking for next year. If that is the desire, why not move back and stock some picks and take a developmental tackle like Ezra Cleveland or Prince Tega, who could legitimately be starting tackles in 2021 and provide depth until then. and you cant say Thomas and then point to the depth in the second round at WR because we dont have a pick there. We would have to trade back to get there.

to me win now mode getting is getting 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and get contributors across the team. I'm willing to pass on a potential #1 WR, trading back instead for a late first round DT/OG/CB and later for an absolute playmaker at WR. Those guys are littered throughout the draft whether it be Aiyuk, Regaor, Hammler, Antonio Gibson, Lynn Bowden, Duvernay. Can come out without a weapon for KS to scheme around.

Easy. Talent difference. To me that is Baalke level logic. "Why take the stud prospect when you can take some developmental prospect that is far more hit or miss?"

That is how you wind up with Vance McDonald instead of Travis Kelce.

Thomas is a complete tackle. You've seen him do everything on film that an NFL tackle will need to. Cleveland is a bundle of athletic traits in a very raw package. You hope he can put it all together but to me its a much bigger risk.
Originally posted by genus49:
I'll take the Jew.

HA same
Originally posted by NCommand:

Underrated point.

same goes for elite WRs.
Brock...agree, Thomas is the guy to get at #13. And you're right, there's a big drop-off after the 1st rd. There could be more OT's off the board in rd 1 than WR's. Bill Walsh set the tone many years ago...you draft a starter's replacement a year before the incumbent retires or his play declines significantly. In this case, Thomas does everything well, so would be a no-brainer if he's on the board. Nothing to dislike WRT Jeudy, but a franchise LT would get my vote against any WR.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Underrated point.

same goes for elite WRs.

An elite Wr isn't a necessity though.

Underrated point.

same goes for elite WRs.

WR's are always available, even in FA or trade.

We barely even use WR's except to block which is why Sanders said he was stoked to go to a spread offense in New Orleans for 2 years with Drew Brees...vs. being a run blocker here.

2019: 2nd most rushing attempts & rushing yards. 4th fewest passing attempts [courtesy, eastcoast49ersfan]

We'll still get a WR...just later.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 1, 2020 at 2:25 PM ]
same goes for elite WRs.

Show me one? There's good receiver prospects in this draft class. Not a single one is reay elite. Elite is Julio Jones, AJ Green , Larry Fitzgerald...etc.

Jeudy has a really high floor but there's not a single elite physical trait to him.
Originally posted by SFrush:
An elite Wr isn't a necessity though.

In today's NFL it is. Look I'm all for upgrading the guard spot...don't need to spend a top 15 pick to do that.
In today's NFL it is. Look I'm all for upgrading the guard spot...don't need to spend a top 15 pick to do that.

Drafting a replacement for Staley long term isn't upgrading the guard spot. Its putting the team in a better position to be competitive over the long haul with QB, edge rusher and both tackle spots locked up.
Show me one? There's good receiver prospects in this draft class. Not a single one is reay elite. Elite is Julio Jones, AJ Green , Larry Fitzgerald...etc.

Jeudy has a really high floor but there's not a single elite physical trait to him.

I could say the same thing about all of these tackles. They all have holes just he same.

IF you think Thomas is the most complete of the bunch then he's not dropping anyway. Wills/Wirfs/Thomas have all been discussed as potential better guards by some draft analysts & Wills has never even played LT. Becton is raw overall and not a scheme fit. He's off our boards more than likely.

And I thought your comment was in regards to getting a "elite" OT next yr and not being on a position to do it. I said same could be said at WR, you're not getting that in the late first either.
Share 49ersWebzone