LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 364 users in the forums

Drafting a TE?

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I find it crazy that No one has talked about how the 49ers were in on the TE Austin Hooper before he signed with Cleveland.

What was that all about? What were they trying to do? They obviously wan to pair another good pass catching TE with Kittle.

Maybe Paarage was trying to play money ball with Kittle...

From what I read the crux is Kittle is under contract for 2 million next season, the season after that the tag is like 11 million and a 50 percent bump the following year is 17 million, so Kittle is under contract for 3 years, 30 million. This has zero risk for niners for injury. Kittle nd his agent want record money, he deserves it, but numbers do not lie. He is under contract for 3 more seasons.

I am all in on another TE in round 5-7.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

My guess is he shoulder injury and lack of surgery has more to do with it
Considering George Kittle, Travis Kelce and Zack Ertz were picked in the 5th, 3rd and 2nd respectively, I don't expect a first round TE anytime soon. It's by far the most difficult position to evaluate.
But they'll pick one, I'm sure. Last year they picked Kaden Smith, a surprising pick since he is an slowpoke and Shanahan loves speedy TE (Reed, Hooper, Kittle). Dwelley beat him fair and square. But I'm sure he would absolutely love to have a 2 TE set combo. Shanahan has a TE on the field in 100% of the snaps.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I find it crazy that No one has talked about how the 49ers were in on the TE Austin Hooper before he signed with Cleveland.

What was that all about? What were they trying to do? They obviously wan to pair another good pass catching TE with Kittle.

From what I read the crux is Kittle is under contract for 2 million next season, the season after that the tag is like 11 million and a 50 percent bump the following year is 17 million, so Kittle is under contract for 3 years, 30 million. This has zero risk for niners for injury. Kittle nd his agent want record money, he deserves it, but numbers do not lie. He is under contract for 3 more seasons.

I am all in on another TE in round 5-7.

That's not a game I'd play. We are in good shape, so as long as the demands aren't astronomical get a deal done. The only problem may be those easy outs that we like to have on contracts.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Considering George Kittle, Travis Kelce and Zack Ertz were picked in the 5th, 3rd and 2nd respectively, I don't expect a first round TE anytime soon. It's by far the most difficult position to evaluate.
But they'll pick one, I'm sure. Last year they picked Kaden Smith, a surprising pick since he is an slowpoke and Shanahan loves speedy TE (Reed, Hooper, Kittle). Dwelley beat him fair and square. But I'm sure he would absolutely love to have a 2 TE set combo. Shanahan has a TE on the field in 100% of the snaps.

Ross Dwelley

[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 27, 2020 at 7:23 PM ]
There are some very good TE's that will be available in rd 4-6
Harrison Bryant Great receiver rd 4
Albert Okwuegbunam Great athlete rd 5
Colby Parkinson rd 5-6

C.J. O'Grady in the 6th or 7th might be good option
Chase Claypool WR or TE? in rd 2
It will be interesting to see what they do at this position considering they lost two players. It seems like it could be a higher priority than what many people think.
Any one in on Stephen Sullivan out of LSU, I've seen articles talking about the niners should take him in the 5th
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Juice 2.0.

Dalton Keene is in that same mold as well.

They will definitely grab another TE for two TE sets and to help take the burden off Little. Hope Dwelley plays more too.
Dalton Keene is who I think they grab in the 5th. Tested well, can block, and has the can't bring me down attitude. He has lined up all over the place too
[ Edited by jobiwon on Mar 29, 2020 at 8:50 AM ]
Originally posted by jobiwon:
They will definitely grab another TE for two TE sets and to help take the burden off Little. Hope Dwelley plays more too.
Dalton Keene is who I think they grab in the 5th. Tested well, can block, and has the can't bring me down attitude. He has lined up all over the place too

Yeah give me a guy like Keene or Josiah Deguara on day 3 and I'm happy. Their the kind of guys that Lynch and Kyle love. Guys that are just good football players and can do a little bit of everything.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
If it wasn't for his past knee injuries I would be down with Hunter Bryant, looks like a Delanie Walker type TE.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This guy all day and twice on Sunday.
do it in round 5
Share 49ersWebzone