LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 108 users in the forums

Matt Hennessy-C-Temple

For some reason I thought I had already made a thread on Hennessy, apparently not. Anyways he's probably the best pure zone blocking center in this draft. Considering the uncertainty of Richburg's injury and Garland's struggles with pass blocking, adding a solid prospect at center appears to be an absolute must. I've seen Hennessy ranked all over the place, from 2nd to 5th round, ultimately I think mid 3rd to mid 4th is more realistic. He's a guy that has struggled with power and needs more development physically so I could see him being scheme-limited to teams running zone heavy offenses like the 49ers. Probably not a starter as a rookie but has quality starter upside in the right scheme.

Also as a team captain at Temple and an experienced starter(36 games), he fits the whole motif that they've been going with over the past couple of years. Mature, high football IQ, strong leader on and off the field, character wise he would fit in quite well with the rest of the OL crew.
As of now, this kid looks like the best fit along with maybe Cesar Ruiz from Michigan. Either of those two in the third round would be fantastic.
I hope they look at this kid. I agree with you I see him as a late 3rd early 4th rd prospect
5th or 6th rd IMO. This draft class is stacked with skills talent that'll push some really good players down to the later rounds. FA looks pretty good for OL overall too so teams might be looking to fill their OL needs with a veteran. Would love to get him in the later rounds.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
5th or 6th rd IMO. This draft class is stacked with skills talent that'll push some really good players down to the later rounds. FA looks pretty good for OL overall too so teams might be looking to fill their OL needs with a veteran. Would love to get him in the later rounds.

Are you assuming that he will be caught beating his girlfriend prior to the draft or or are you looking at months old rankings from some potato draft site like WalterFootball?

Because he's a pretty good center prospect in his own right and you're putting him in Justin Skule territory. I just don't see him dropping that far considering the sheer number of teams needing OL help.

Bro he's not going late day 3
Henny in my red cup
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Are you assuming that he will be caught beating his girlfriend prior to the draft or or are you looking at months old rankings from some potato draft site like WalterFootball?

Because he's a pretty good center prospect in his own right and you're putting him in Justin Skule territory. I just don't see him dropping that far considering the sheer number of teams needing OL help.

Lmfao, I agree. I would be surprised if he fell beyond the third, but absolutely jaw-droppingly shocked if he fell beyond the fourth at this point.
Quality lineman are so hard to find. Hennessy fits our profile on players exactly. Checks every 49er box. If we don't add a quality interior player I'm going to be ticked.

Zone center with the IQ, leadership, and character we'd look for. Hope for multiple picks after a trade down and pick him in the early 4th or late 3rd. We need to upgrade the interior of the line.
He is exactly the type of Offensive linemen they would like to have. He is doing a lot of the stuff the 49er run while he was in collage. Is he a 2nd or 4th round pick I don't know. I do know the 49er do not have a 2, 3, or 4th round pick so if they really like him they would probably need to trade down with one of there first round picks. unless you want to hope he makes it to the 5th round. So many player so few picks.
[ Edited by dlance on Apr 21, 2020 at 6:01 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
He struggled as a guard at senior bowl. While he's a great center he doesn't offer much in terms of versatility.

I wouldn't mind him in later rounds if there. I'd personally rather a guy that offers some versatility inside other than just C.

Especially considering our current need at guard.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I could be off, but I honestly think he goes somewhere in round 2.
Love him. Period!
Share 49ersWebzone