There are 205 users in the forums

Trading Down?

Originally posted by Murphys1:
Who are some guys who could slip and cause us to just use our first round pick?

I think McKinney is one. Adebo, Fulton, Wade, or Henderson would be others I think they could jump on at their current spot.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Jan 1, 2020 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Who are some guys who could slip and cause us to just use our first round pick?

There's a lot for me right now, after the workouts it'll be clearer but my main player is Xavier McKinney from Bama, but I keep seeing him mocked in the top 20 now.

Agree, exact same guy for me. Depending what we do with Ward, if McKinney is there when we pick and we let Ward walk, gonna be really hard to pass on him.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kyzen:
Seems like this would be the year to do it. Any thoughts on who we might be able to trade down with that needs to move up from the 2nd? Adding a couple mid round picks could be huge for us because we need to build the depth of the current roster. If we are able to land 3-4 solid picks from this draft, we will be in great shape next year.

Hopefully we don't take any fliers on injured players.

I'm all for trading down and get more picks especially this year since it looks like we gonna be picking between 28 to 32... BUT, if a player we like is there between the 18s to 25s, I say we MOVE UP and get that player..

OL
WR
CB
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'm all for trading down and get more picks especially this year since it looks like we gonna be picking between 28 to 32... BUT, if a player we like is there between the 18s to 25s, I say we MOVE UP and get that player..

OL
WR
CB

They don't have the picks to move up without blowing up future drafts.
I am always open to trading down unless there is a guy sitting there that you know can really help, like last year with Bosa. This year we will be drafting so far back that unless a player slides back we would be better off trying to get more picks. Keep in mind that if we are picking between 28-32 (hopefully 32) then it won't bring the same value as a top 10 first rounder. Maybe we get a pair of twos or a high 2 and a high 3. You never know but Lynch has his work to do in this years draft.
Two seconds or even a high two and a three is wishful thinking most likely.

The most obvious examples of compensation would be us moving up to draft Josh Garnett for a 2, 4, and 6 (got a 7th back) and us moving moving up for Rueben Foster for a 2 and a 4
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

The most obvious examples of compensation would be us moving up to draft Josh Garnett for a 2, 4, and 6 (got a 7th back) and us moving moving up for Rueben Foster for a 2 and a 4

See Seattle's draft last year. That should be our model. I want to add a player at every position group through the draft + signing of UDFAs that actually make the team next year.

And if it's for a QB the price should be more then usual
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

See Seattle's draft last year. That should be our model. I want to add a player at every position group through the draft + signing of UDFAs that actually make the team next year.

Not sure that we have that many holes. Recent drafts have been strong and deep and UDFA work has been amazing. The only guy not still on the roster was lost, not because we didn't want him but because we needed to jiggle roster spots. So I go for just a few players and top it up with a couple of FA signings.
Originally posted by English:

Not sure that we have that many holes. Recent drafts have been strong and deep and UDFA work has been amazing. The only guy not still on the roster was lost, not because we didn't want him but because we needed to jiggle roster spots. So I go for just a few players and top it up with a couple of FA signings.

Save for QB, we potentially could. I might have overstated the every position group thing, but on offense, another back is needed. I expect Coleman to be gone and Breida hasnt shown he can go the season healthy. WR need is obvious. Should look at a TE/FB to back up Juice/play special teams. Perhaps we can go UDFA there. I'd like a guard that could compete for a starting spot. At tackle, we'll see. Probably are okay for a year with Staley, Brunskill,Skule, McGlinchey, and Shon Coleman.

On defense, definitely another corner, we will need a safety (competition and just in case we don't resign Ward or he is hurt), probably another LB, definitely another DE. That's 8 already. We also have guys that rookies should be able to beat out.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jan 2, 2020 at 11:55 AM ]

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

OL
WR
CB

HOW negative... why you already thinking of blowing up the future draft(s) ??

Moving up in order to draft the player the team is TARGETING would not be a bad idea.... did you NOT jump for joy when we moved up to draft REUBEN FOSTER??

Had the screws on his head are tighter, the talented kid would still be with the team. Plus, it doesn't matter how many picks we have in the future, it's really who we draft that counts..
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

OL
WR
CB

HOW negative... why you already thinking of blowing up the future draft(s) ??

Moving up in order to draft the player the team is TARGETING would not be a bad idea.... did you NOT jump for joy when we moved up to draft REUBEN FOSTER??

Had the screws on his head are tighter, the talented kid would still be with the team. Plus, it doesn't matter how many picks we have in the future, it's really who we draft that counts..

Because we can't move up much without using 2021 draft Capital. Our first plus a fifth isn't doing much, so yes, we would have to blow up future drafts to move up even 3 spaces. I say move down, take advantage of the receiver rich draft, add some depth/competition, and set ourselves up so that we can replace any guys we can't resign.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Cincinnati 1, 33, 65, 97, 129, 161, 193

Jacksonville 9, 20, 42, 73, 106, 170, 186, 201

Indianapolis 13, 34, 44, 75, 112, 143, 174, 189, 205

Carolina 7, 38, 69, 103, 134, 165, 199

Maybe a team like one of these will want a QB at the end of the 1st especially if they don't take one with their early pick.

End of 1st picks = about 600 points

Top of 2nd picks = about 500 points

Top of 3rd picks = about 250 points

Don't forget to add:

Denver has four picks next year in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They have their own picks (2nd and 3rd) plus two extra 3rd round picks.

Miami has two picks each in the 2nd, 3rd AND 4th round next year.

Niners have plenty of potential trading partners with serious needs and a ton of draft capital to use. They should be able to recoup what they gave up for Ford and Sanders without question.
It helps that the draft is deep in WR and CB. I'm worried about the lack of ER, IOL, S depth
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree, or even this years draft without Bosa - with DeeBo, Greenlaw, Make@Wish and Skule. This years draft (even without Bosa) was a solid draft. Greenlaw's tackle got us the #1 seed.
Share 49ersWebzone