LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Julian Okwara-EDGE-Notre Dame

Okwara clearly needs his own thread. Seeing as edge rusher could still be a major need with the uncertainty of Ford's knee condition, this is someone that I think would be a phenomenal fit for this defense. His brother Romeo is currently in the NFL and also a DE playing for the Lions. I think Julian still has quite a bit of improvement to make as a pass rusher and he's disappeared at times during games this season and in the past but his speed, explosiveness, bend and agility make him a nightmare for blockers when he is on. I see him as a mid 1st to a mid 2nd rounder depending on how this season goes. In this scheme in particular he could come in as part of an edge rotation and his skillset and athleticism is perfectly suited to playing a Wide 9.

He was one of Bruce Feldman's college football Freaks and has shown steady improvement during his time with the Fighting Irish.

"The Irish have some terrific edge rushers, and the senior from North Carolina is one of the better players in the country," Feldman wrote about Okwara. "In 2018, he made 37 tackles, 11.5 for loss with seven sacks and 21 QB hurries. The 6-5, 241-pound younger brother of NFL pass rusher Romeo Okwara moved to United States from Nigeria as a third-grader. The younger Okwara's speed is why he cracked the top 10 this year. Notre Dame has clocked his top speed at 21 mph — a time you'd expect from a speedy wideout but not from a 6-5 pass rusher."
https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/12/notre-dame-football-julian-okwara-makes-bruce-feldmans-top-10-freak-list/

If he keeps having games like he did today then he'll easily be out of the 49ers range but definitely a player to keep an eye on. His speed off the edge would be very tantalizing in this defense.
Yes please! He's easily better than his brother imo
If Skule proves he can hold down the fort without KS scheming around him, do it. We'd have a backup group of Dlinemen (Okwara-Street-Thomas-Blair) better than a couple starting Dlines.
Still beasting. Man I'd love to see Okwara playing in this defense but if keeps balling out he could fly past the 49ers realistic draft slot, especially with the success Burns is having.

Having Bosa, Ford and Okwara would be a nightmare rotation for offenses to try and block.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
"When we got here our goal was to build a defense, build a defensive line," Shanahan said. "Lots of teams have won the Super Bowl with a dominant defense and not a very good offense. But it's rare the other way around. I know how hard it is to go up against a really good d-line. I know they invested in the years before we got there. I know John and I, we're looking to do it almost every year. It's helped us out, especially getting Bosa this year, it makes a huge difference. ... That was definitely our first goal when we got here, to get to where we had a top-five defense." -Kyle Shanahan

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/14/49ers-defense-kyle-shanahan-deshaun-watson-texans-sam-darnold-jets-mmqb
Originally posted by FL9er:
"When we got here our goal was to build a defense, build a defensive line," Shanahan said. "Lots of teams have won the Super Bowl with a dominant defense and not a very good offense. But it's rare the other way around. I know how hard it is to go up against a really good d-line. I know they invested in the years before we got there. I know John and I, we're looking to do it almost every year. It's helped us out, especially getting Bosa this year, it makes a huge difference. ... That was definitely our first goal when we got here, to get to where we had a top-five defense." -Kyle Shanahan

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/14/49ers-defense-kyle-shanahan-deshaun-watson-texans-sam-darnold-jets-mmqb

MOAR PASS RUSH!!!!!!

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by FL9er:

MOAR PASS RUSH!!!!!!

#destroythepocket

Is this guy going to be available for us at 32?
I think he goes top 20 as of now but his combine performance could put him higher..

Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

Not unless he gets caught smoking meth in a middle school yard. Sad because he's perfect for this defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

Not unless he gets caught smoking meth in a middle school yard. Sad because he's perfect for this defense.

Anything is possible, even your scenario lol
Share 49ersWebzone