LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

2019 East West Shrine Game Thread

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree - most of these guys are late round draft picks.
Originally posted by OsBoogie:
liking what I see from Ozigbo. Brailford also made some big plays, did get handled a couple times though.

That's the knock is sometimes getting engulfed at DE. Personally, I think he's a better fit as SAM and situational rusher in our scheme. I like his skill set a lot though.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 20, 2019 at 7:54 AM ]
Originally posted by strickac:
Anyone know anything about Derrick Roberson? We met with him and he sounds interesting, but I can't find any video of him

One of the most dominant small school ends in the nation. Explosive first step, and might be better fit at SAM, but definitely has proven to be a skilled and productive pass rusher at the college level. I'm a fan.
Fun game to watch...if you like defense. Offenses were not super impressive. Some of the best players (it would take a year to eval each guy in detail) in this GAME (the practices mean a LOT more to scouts, coaches and GMs) were, in no particular order:

* Jordan Brailford- DE, Oklahoma St.- OTs struggle to contain him. He was able to beat them around the corner, spin past them, and on a couple of cases, simply push them back into the pocket. Was the best pass rusher in the game, and was stout against the run. Excellent performance.

* Justin Hollins, Edge, Oregon- Smaller in size than Brailford, but just as impactful. Was a super handful for tackles when he lined up as an end on passing downs, but also was solid against the run, and looked smooth in coverage. Hollins has always been overlooked because he doesn't possess eye-popping athleticism. However, he always seems to get the job done. Excellent game.

* Lamont Gaillard- C, Georgia- Short, stout, and solid. Anchored very well against nose tackles, was smooth in pass protection, and looked terrific in the second level. Was jolted back on one snap, but able to re-anchor and latch onto a pass rusher. Keep a clean pocket for QBs to step up into.

* Terry Godwin- WR- Georgia- Fumbled on one completion in the first half, and was largely silent. Big second half with two TD catches. Releases off the line very quickly, runs cleans routes, eats up turf faster than others. Hands were solid in the game. Just seemed to run at a different gear than the other WRs, who seemed to lumber down the field compared to him.

* Udoh Olisaemeka, OT, Elon- Got the call up to the Senior Bowl practice, and I can see why. Very large man at 6'5",329, with long, long arms. Seemed to have very little difficulty handling pass rushers in the game. Was surprised he did not play more (the rotations kill me with talented guys). In a draft with not many NFL-caliber OT, this kid looks like a guy to make an investment. I would guess he is a late 3rd at worst.

* Marquis Young, RB, UMass- Not many NFL-caliber RBs in this group, but I like the way Young runs. He has a shot at the next level. Breaks a lot of tackles, has some juice, not afraid to run inside.

Just a handful of guys that I enjoyed watching.
The Draft Network's Joe Marino called Georgia WR Terry Godwin one of the five biggest winners at East-West Shrine practices.

Marino called Godwin "the most consistent receiver all week" and noted his lack of size (5'10/185) didn't stop him from winning battles with corners. The Draft Network has been impressed with Godwin's natural ability, which includes plus route running skills. One of Godwin's biggest issues was a lack of production at Georgia. As a senior, Godwin only caught 23 passes for 385 yards and three touchdowns. That hasn't stopped The Athletic's Dane Brugler from calling Godwin "one of the biggest sleepers in the entire draft class."
Share 49ersWebzone