There are 88 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Big 256 Board- Updated 4/26

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Some stuff to throw out. One of the reasons Mayfield stands out to me as the best QB in the draft.

2017 passer rating under pressure (of 48 draft-eligible QBs)
Mayfield 105.2 (1st)
Rudolph 94.4 (6th)
Jackson 91.7 (8th)
Falk 77.7 (17th)
Lauletta 76.6 (18th)
Darnold 73.6 (19th)
Rosen 68.4 (23rd)
White 66.8 (24th)
Allen 56.1 (33rd)

Courtesy of Pat Thorman

The only knocks on Mayfield are height and behavior. Everything else is there. Some believe he will be the first QB off the board, but the risk is much greater with him than the others. How did any of them do in the post season games--Senior, N/S...I didn't watch any this year.

Allen and Mayfield both played the Senior Bowl for short spurts. Coaches really liked both guys during the practice sessions.

They were the only participants of the top 6 guys.
Hi MD. What do you remember most about the 2014 draft in terms of interior G that year? Our team took Marcus Martin (C/G) and then Baalke's ACL special Brandon Thomas that year. In the meantime, 31 teams passed except Carolina found Andrew Norwell as an undrafted player who just became very rich this off season. I was reading his Draft profile and has a lot of negatives like inconsistent,needs to get stronger etc. The positives: finishes blocks, has that nasty demeanor, can play some tackle in emergency. What do you think worked for him and Carolina that he became the player that he is today? Coaching,luck,timing all at the same time and the hunger to just get better? With a new system in placed last year, we are still sorting out our Oline. I know the Draft is a crapshoot anyway. But In this draft, who are some of the guards you like that can be had later? What's your take on Cappa, Teller and Corbett or any other players who has Norwell's positives that I mentioned above? Thanks MD!
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Hi MD. What do you remember most about the 2014 draft in terms of interior G that year? Our team took Marcus Martin (C/G) and then Baalke's ACL special Brandon Thomas that year. In the meantime, 31 teams passed except Carolina found Andrew Norwell as an undrafted player who just became very rich this off season. I was reading his Draft profile and has a lot of negatives like inconsistent,needs to get stronger etc. The positives: finishes blocks, has that nasty demeanor, can play some tackle in emergency. What do you think worked for him and Carolina that he became the player that he is today? Coaching,luck,timing all at the same time and the hunger to just get better? With a new system in placed last year, we are still sorting out our Oline. I know the Draft is a crapshoot anyway. But In this draft, who are some of the guards you like that can be had later? What's your take on Cappa, Teller and Corbett or any other players who has Norwell's positives that I mentioned above? Thanks MD!

I like about 10 miles from Ohio State (currently watching the Blue Jackets in double overtime), and can tell you that Norwell was nothing special in college, his pre-draft workouts were bad, and he was deserving of being an UFA. Sometimes people just figure it out later on. Makes no sense to me.

As for interior guys in this draft, many of them are transitioning from LT, like Cappa and Corbett (who I like better). Wyatt is a guy who could make it.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Based on MadDog's board, the 49ers should draft Denzel Ward. I don't care that he's "too small" for the 49ers scheme, he apparently is the best cover corner in the draft. (I'm a fan of Jaire Alexander and Isaiah Oliver) John Lynch played with a guy who was about the same size in Tampa in Ronde Barber. Chris Harris Jr, is only 5'10. Adam Peters played a role in finding him as a diamond in the rough. The problem is the Bears covet Ward also, and the Bucs need DBs as well. The 49ers have good young players in the secondary, but I feel like and I wonder if Lynch feels the same way, they don't have the guy. The guy that you can build around.

I know we need pass rush, but unless Chubb drops, or they overdraft Landry/Davenport, the best defensive player on the board is likely to be a defensive back, based on all the rankings from everyone.

I think a true cover corner is overrated in a 3-deep scheme. You want guys who are more Safety-like over a shorter guy who is great at blanketing a curl or slant route.

We need very fast LBs, a freak SS, and 3 big CBs who can basically play Safety and CB because their main role will be to not get beat deep but also be able to cover ground and close quickly.

I would not pass up Fitzpatrick here. For me, it's a win if we get either of the best edge rushers, LBs, or Fitzpatrick.

I would not want us getting a small cb.

I like about 10 miles from Ohio State (currently watching the Blue Jackets in double overtime), and can tell you that Norwell was nothing special in college, his pre-draft workouts were bad, and he was deserving of being an UFA. Sometimes people just figure it out later on. Makes no sense to me.

As for interior guys in this draft, many of them are transitioning from LT, like Cappa and Corbett (who I like better). Wyatt is a guy who could make it.

Thanks MD. Enjoy the game!

Yeh, they lost in double OT. Oh, well. If the Niners want to look at an athletic UFA, Beau Nunn of Appalachian St. is a guy to pick up and maybe stash on the developmental squad. Can really move.
If anyone wants my most overrated player in this draft, point a laser at Ronnie Harrison. Yikes!!!

Yeh, they lost in double OT. Oh, well. If the Niners want to look at an athletic UFA, Beau Nunn of Appalachian St. is a guy to pick up and maybe stash on the developmental squad. Can really move.

Oops! Sorry about the loss..while our Sharks has a commanding lead . I like to get 1 of those 3 Guards later along with a developmental type. I'll check out Nunn. Thanks as always.
MD you always have a good board always is a good read.. any chance we trade back and get Leighton Vander Esch
What players if there at 9 do you feel would be a mistake to pass up on?
Originally posted by nahumse:
MD you always have a good board always is a good read.. any chance we trade back and get Leighton Vander Esch

At #9 or above, I wouldn't hesitate to get Chubb, Smith, or Vea.
If none are available, I wouldn't mind trading around. But that implies having trade partners and contingency plans. Last year, they seemed to play it relatively safe and get much-needed depth. I'm not sure if the roster is solid enough for them to deviate from that approach this year.

If anyone wants my most overrated player in this draft, point a laser at Ronnie Harrison. Yikes!!!

I think Bama players tend to get overrated a lot. So many good defensive players on those bama teams and they are well coached. Most of those players already hit their ceiling.
Originally posted by nahumse:

I think if they trade back for Vander Esch as the target, they won't back far, because from 12 on, all bets are off the table.

I wouldn't pass on R. Smith, B. Chubb or S. Barkley. After those three are gone, I would have no problem trading down.

I think the team could trade down to 16 and still see Landry on the board, if they are shooting for a pure edge rusher. I believe his window to be drafted begins there.
Originally posted by miked1978:

I think Bama players tend to get overrated a lot. So many good defensive players on those bama teams and they are well coached. Most of those players already hit their ceiling.

That is often the case. Some are really great, and some are really great college players that don't translate well to the NFL. They could have 5 guys from their secondary drafted this year. At least 4 will.
MD--I see you have a number of WRs listed as top 30 guys, what do you recommend reading to evaluate these guys? I know watching them is better but...I'm not likely to do that and would rather read expert evaluation. My favorite from watching games are Sutton and Miller. You have them below some other guys...interesting. I like to read these guys are aggressive in going after the ball and was a fan of Landry a couple of years ago for that reason.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
MD--I see you have a number of WRs listed as top 30 guys, what do you recommend reading to evaluate these guys? I know watching them is better but...I'm not likely to do that and would rather read expert evaluation. My favorite from watching games are Sutton and Miller. You have them below some other guys...interesting. I like to read these guys are aggressive in going after the ball and was a fan of Landry a couple of years ago for that reason.

I grade heavily on guys that run clean routes. They can jump in right away and make a difference in the league. So, even though Calvin Ridley may end up the least athletic WR ever selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft (which he will), his route running is so clean that he is going to get open. DJ Moore and Michael Gallup and Miller are my next three-all are solid route runners.

I learned a valuable lesson by picking Cooper Kupp in my personal draft last year; He wasn't the most athletic, wasn't the most dynamic, but was always wide open. And, he was awesome last year. I am sticking to that formula.

This is also why I have some guys that are lower on my board. If they have a limited route tree, I don't see much chance for success in the future.

I have Sutton as fifth on my board. I love the size and speed, and 3 cone time, but guys that have fewer catches than other teammates is a red flag to me. Trey Quinn had more receptions, and he will be drafted at least 3 rounds later.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 18, 2018 at 1:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone