There are 258 users in the forums

Will Hernandez, LG, UTEP, 6'3 330 Lbs

Just as I caution fans about Nelson, Hernandez is a similar player. Both are maulers, not really the kind of OL Shanahan's looking for. As an option to Hernandez, I'd suggest GA's OG Isiaih Wynn. He's very adept at both run and pass blocking...he played in the always tough SEC against top competition. He'd be a much better fit.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Just as I caution fans about Nelson, Hernandez is a similar player. Both are maulers, not really the kind of OL Shanahan's looking for. As an option to Hernandez, I'd suggest GA's OG Isiaih Wynn. He's very adept at both run and pass blocking...he played in the always tough SEC against top competition. He'd be a much better fit.

That would be a common assumption but it doesn't mean it is a correct one.

The reality is that as the chief decision maker, Shanahan has such a limited sample that its impossible to be certain of what he will do.

Assuming that he will make the same exact decisions as his dad could very well be faulty logic.

What we do know is that the 49ers met with Hernandez at the Senior Bowl. If they bring him during the offseason for a workout as well as meeting with guys such as Nelson, it could be a sign that conventional logic isnt quite accurate.
Staley-Nelson-Garnett-Hernandez-Brown

that's like 1,700lb's of beef lol
He's pretty good. I grade Forrest Lamp as superior to Nelson and Hernandez because I believe the incoming rooks both struggle at times in pass protection
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That would be a common assumption but it doesn't mean it is a correct one.

The reality is that as the chief decision maker, Shanahan has such a limited sample that its impossible to be certain of what he will do.

Assuming that he will make the same exact decisions as his dad could very well be faulty logic.

What we do know is that the 49ers met with Hernandez at the Senior Bowl. If they bring him during the offseason for a workout as well as meeting with guys such as Nelson, it could be a sign that conventional logic isnt quite accurate.

Or it could mean that lynch himself want to look at the prospects.

Last year of all the interior lineman we brought in only Nico Siragusa didnt fit the narrative
damn was hoping Will would not make too much noise so we can draft him later
Originally posted by krizay:
Or it could mean that lynch himself want to look at the prospects.

Last year of all the interior lineman we brought in only Nico Siragusa didnt fit the narrative

Shanahan and Lynch share personnel decision making. They won't be looking at guys that one has no use for.

Laken Tomlinson certainly wasn't what anyone would consider an ideal scheme fit.

Its certainly possible that what Shanahan is looking for and what fans are convinced he's looking for are not one and the same.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Shanahan and Lynch share personnel decision making. They won't be looking at guys that one has no use for.

Laken Tomlinson certainly wasn't what anyone would consider an ideal scheme fit.

Its certainly possible that what Shanahan is looking for and what fans are convinced he's looking for are not one and the same.

While i agree. Im leaning toward Solomon being Lynch's decision.
While i agree. Im leaning toward Solomon being Lynch's decision.

Why? I mean, they both have veto power if they don't agree on a player. I'm sure Lynch was a lot more familiar with him but Thomas from the get go seemed like a fit for the type of DL that Saleh was envisioning and Shanahan wanted.
Why? I mean, they both have veto power if they don't agree on a player. I'm sure Lynch was a lot more familiar with him but Thomas from the get go seemed like a fit for the type of DL that Saleh was envisioning and Shanahan wanted.

Didn't you get the memo? We only drafted Sully cuz Lynch took a college class with him.

Originally posted by genus49:
Didn't you get the memo? We only drafted Sully cuz Lynch took a college class with him.

I just think its kind of funny that there would be this notion that Lynch somehow twisted Shanahan's arm into drafting him when Thomas was on the top of their draft board.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

I just think its kind of funny that there would be this notion that Lynch somehow twisted Shanahan's arm into drafting him when Thomas was on the top of their draft board.

Not saying shanny dodnt like him..... but shanny also didnt want to trade that pick to NO.

again, not saying shanny wasnt on board. But he wanted to use the pick.

I see soloman being the same situation.

All of this is neither here nor there. Just saying it is possible for lynch to want to bring in players to look at that might not fit what shanny may be lookimg for.
Not saying shanny dodnt like him..... but shanny also didnt want to trade that pick to NO.

Are you referring to this?

Shanahan wasn't pleased about missing out on a good player this year. But he understood. "We're not one or two players away," Shanahan said. "This is about building a program."

Sounds like he was on board with it.

Once again there is nothing to indicate that Lynch and Shanahan weren't on the same page. Lynch even put a guy back up on the draft board at the request of Kyle in Joe Williams.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Are you referring to this?

Shanahan wasn't pleased about missing out on a good player this year. But he understood. "We're not one or two players away," Shanahan said. "This is about building a program."

Sounds like he was on board with it.

Once again there is nothing to indicate that Lynch and Shanahan weren't on the same page. Lynch even put a guy back up on the draft board at the request of Kyle in Joe Williams.

That was part of what i was referring to. I acknowledged that i wasnt saying he wasnt on board.

But he wanted to use the pick lynch wanted to trade it plain and simple. He understands its not a sprint but doesnt mean they AGREED to trade it

Edit: not going to look for tbe article but it said shanahan really wanted basham and didnt want to trade the pick.

Again this os all neither here nor there in tbe grand scheme of things
[ Edited by krizay on Jan 30, 2018 at 3:18 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
i remember that quote. lol im sure he would salivate for a line similar to dallas. If Nelson runs a 40 under 5 seconds than kyle would want him in a heartbeat

If Nelson runs a 40 under 5 seconds then he is gone before the 49ers ever have a crack at him.

This he's not making it to us if that happens

yeah you're right. to me is the second coming of larry allen.

but this is a hernandez thread so ill talk about him. I personally like him a lot and if this was harbaughs era it would've been a perfect fit, but shannys might want a slightly smaller guy with better quickness. but he seems like he is flexible in his wants so i won't be too surprised if we pick him.
Share 49ersWebzone