There are 169 users in the forums

Will Hernandez, LG, UTEP, 6'3 330 Lbs

Originally posted by reasonable1:
I honestly don't believe this guy is a 1st round pick.

Good! Guards drop every year, I'd love one of the top guys to fall all the way to our pick in the 2nd.

Interesting that Hernandez graded higher in 2016 than Nelson did in 2017.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Apr 17, 2018 at 7:54 PM ]
Greg Gabriel on Will Hernandez.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/draft/2018/prospects/will-hernandez/

Will Hernandez Guard
UTEP
Year: SeniorHeight: 6-2 Weight: 327 40-Yard: 5.15 Arm: 32Hand: 9 ⅞
Bench: 37 Vertical: 24.0 Broad: 104 3-Cone: 7.59 20-Yard Shuttle: 4.70 60-Yard Shuttle: N/A

Strong Points: Four-year starter at left guard. Huge man with outstanding natural strength. Plays with bend. Physical road grader. Very good in-line run blocker. Good to second level. Adequate with pulls. Quick set in pass pro; never gives ground to opponent. Can slide and recover against moves. Good job with hands. Alert for stunts and blitzes.

Weak Points: Rather than consistently running his feet on contact, Hernandez is more of a stop-and-go blocker with his feet. May need to lose some weight to play in space at the next level.

The Way We See It: Hernandez is a fifth-year senior and a four-year starter at UTEP, where he showed outstanding durability in starting 49 consecutive games. Huge man with excellent strength. He is not the most explosive guy, but with his natural size and strength it doesn't matter. Strong run blocker who can put his opponent on his back. Gets to second level vs. college players but may want to lose some weight to do that on a consistent basis in the NFL. Rock-solid pass blocker who anchors very well. Keeps his hands inside and can handle moves with his feet and agility. Overall, he will require some maintenance on his footwork -- as he has a tendency to stop and restart on contact -- but he is fairly sound. He wins on strength and power. Can come in and play right away but will need a period of adjustment. Hernandez will be best in a zone blocking scheme. His tape is very good, but Hernandez's workout could determine how high he gets drafted.
Damn imagine him with harbaughs scheme. Would've been fun with him and iupati f**king people up in the interior.

but boy is too big for this offense.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Damn imagine him with harbaughs scheme. Would've been fun with him and iupati f**king people up in the interior.

"Everyone thinks we like small guards, I just like people who can move. If you're 400 pounds and can move, I'd rather have that guy than the 300-pound guy who can move the same. The problem is that most really heavy guys can't move."-Kyle Shanahan

Hernandez moves far better than the majority of larger guards. Both he and Nelson could work in this offense, or a straight up gap blocking scheme which is why they are so unique. They give you power and agility. Matt Miller also said that Hernandez could work well in a ZBS. The advantage with a guy like that is when you get down on the goalline you can run straight power looks and play smash mouth football with people.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

"Everyone thinks we like small guards, I just like people who can move. If you're 400 pounds and can move, I'd rather have that guy than the 300-pound guy who can move the same. The problem is that most really heavy guys can't move."-Kyle Shanahan

Hernandez moves far better than the majority of larger guards. Both he and Nelson could work in this offense, or a straight up gap blocking scheme which is why they are so unique. They give you power and agility. Matt Miller also said that Hernandez could work well in a ZBS. The advantage with a guy like that is when you get down on the goalline you can run straight power looks and play smash mouth football with people.

oh i thought nelson would play well in our scheme but I never realized that hernandez could move also. he strikes me as a classic mauler.
oh i thought nelson would play well in our scheme but I never realized that hernandez could move also. he strikes me as a classic mauler.

Alex Mack
Height: 6'4
Weight: 311
Bench Press: 20
Broad Jump: 106
3-Cone Drill: 7.31
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.75

Weston Richburg
6'3"
Bench Press:25
Broad Jump:104
3-Cone Drill:7.93
20 Yard Shuttle:4.63

Will Hernandez
6'2"
Bench Press:37
Broad Jump:104
3-Cone Drill: 7.59
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.7

I thought the same till I saw him move at the combine
He looks way in over his head so far. Taking some hard rookie lumps right now.

If we drafted him our fanbase would be running around with pitchforks screaming to cut him.

Coaching issue for all of the Giants OL not just him?
Didn't really get to watch the game and not a lot of youtube videos of nfl linemen but I did watch some saquon highlights (btw he he broke the first tackle on every touch goddamn he is good I wish we have him) and I think its just going to a huge jump in competition compared to who he played in UTEP. I think it is all mental for him and he will be fine, but maybe not as good as we maybe thought he would be.
Didn't really get to watch the game and not a lot of youtube videos of nfl linemen but I did watch some saquon highlights (btw he he broke the first tackle on every touch goddamn he is good I wish we have him) and I think its just going to a huge jump in competition compared to who he played in UTEP. I think it is all mental for him and he will be fine, but maybe not as good as we maybe thought he would be.

I think for a lot of linemen, these guys just need time. Its a huge leap going from basic college offenses to the NFL. McGlinchey has been solid so far even with some rookie errors but he also had the advantage of NFL level coaching which has helped Notre Dame produced some very polished, NFL ready prospects.

I still like Hernandez a lot and when it comes to run blocking he wasn't bad at all from what I saw but his pass blocking was really hit or miss. With his physical ability and reported work ethic, I think he'll figure it out eventually.
Originally posted by rathman4481:

If we drafted him our fanbase would be running around with pitchforks screaming to cut him.

Facts. "Could've signed Andrew Norwell, could've drafted _________".
Share 49ersWebzone