LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Underrated / Overrated 2017 Draft

Originally posted by krizay:
I think he may be the most underrated in the draft

I think he's only underrated because of his injury. Guy was one of the top safety prospects prior to getting hurt.
Curtis Samuel RB Ohio State = most under rated

Josh Jones S is under rated in a loaded DB class

Most of the OL prospects seem over rated
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Mar 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM ]
Raekwon is definitely the most underrated to me. He could probably play the SAM role for us. I think we should get him in the 2nd round.

I think Tabor is overrated to me. Does he have the speed to play man to man? Haden did it for a little while but he kind of fell off.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Rueben Foster - I don't see a 1st round ILB grade for him. I think he is over rated, easy too look good roaming around as a LB surrounded with NFL talent

Sooooooo...... when he gets to the NFL and is again surrounded by NFL talent won't he still look good?
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Rueben Foster - I don't see a 1st round ILB grade for him. I think he is over rated, easy too look good roaming around as a LB surrounded with NFL talent

Sooooooo...... when he gets to the NFL and is again surrounded by NFL talent won't he still look good?

Another thing I don't understand is I hear the same argument about Allen and Eddie Jackson

Yet Lattimore, Hooker and McMillian are in the underrated category and no mention of their teammates.

Sounds like Bama hate to me
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 17, 2017 at 1:09 PM ]

lol, you don't understand my comment? okay, no point in discussing it then....

edit:

And as far me being biased against Alabama, I don't think I am. I had Allen as my #3 player but dropped him a bit due to durability concerns. I have Tim Williams as a 1st rounder. And I have Marlon Murphy as the #2 CB.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 17, 2017 at 1:31 PM ]
I tend to go along w/SunDevil...WRT to Mahomes, he does have some gunslinger in his game. But, he also had 41 TD's, 10 picks, over 5,000 yds, completing 65.7 % and scored another 12 TD's on the ground in 2016. Even though he played in a spread offense, he can function just fine under C. I just think Shanahan would love to coach up this kid...he's got a ton of talent.

I'd rate McCaffrey considerably higher than Kamara or any number of dual-threat RB's. Christian's simply a winner, and as he showed at the combine, he can literally do everything, and do it very well. Seeing him in Shanahan's offense virtually makes me drool.

I'm also a big Jordan Willis fan...when legendary Kan St Coach Snyder called him "the epitome" of K-St football, that's extremely high praise from one of the all-time great college HC's. JW does everything well...has the size and ran a 4.53. That's not chopped liver, folks.

I'd rather have T.J. Watt vs Foster. Watt's got some of his brother's football DNA and simply has a nose for the football and instinctively makes plays. He reminds me of a faster Zach Thomas.

I also don't get why Barnett's not rated higher...he and Garrett both had 32 sacks in their last two seasons. Less than half of Garrett's were vs SEC opponents, while 29 of 32 by Barnett were against SEC competition. Someone pls explain why Garrett's "all-world" and Barnett only gets whatever accolades don't fall to MG.

Trubisky had a terrific 2016 season...but, it was his first time being a starter. When NC played Stanford in the Sun Bowl, he drove them the length of the field at the end, only to be virtually singlehandedly subdued by Solomon Thomas. If I was a GM, I'd have a hard time committing a top 10 pick to a guy with such a limited starting resume.
Then which mock draft/big board are we using to say X player is overrated/underrated?

Using NFL's grades and just their top 32 grades:

Overrated:
Mitch Tribusky - No way is a QB in top 10 talent this year. They may go Top 10, but in terms of talent there isn't a QB

Sidney Jones - Personally, I'm not impressed by his game. Not sure what everyone is so in love with. He will get eaten up by stronger physical WRs

Haason Reddick - The first guy IMO this year to benefit from the hype train. I don't think he can play edge, and instead he will be 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB, and at that position he will be a development project.

Alvin Kamara - They gave him a 1st round grade, and the #3 RB. He is a guy that flashed potential but did not deliver on a consistent level. I don't think he is a natural RB, and I don't think he will do well running between the tackles. I think he will be a situational player, not a 3 down back. I think his agility and potential as a reciever out of the backfield is promising, but I'd rather take McCaffrey. And him being a 1st round talent? I dont see it

Underrated:

Patrick Mahomes - I still believe he is the top QB prospect

Budda Baker - A bit undersized, but he has elite playmaking ability

Jordan Willis - NFL gave him a 5.6, which is very low on their scale. Guy is a late 1st, early 2nd talent

Witherspoon - Wow, I'm late to the party but this guy is impressive. For a 6'3 corner that has that fluid of hips, an NFL team will be drooling over his potential

Tankersley - another corner I really like, boundry corner that has a good chance to be a ballhawk at the next level

I disagree on Haason Reddick. He's an outstanding football player. I love his get off on the ball, pursuit, motor, speed, etc. He's versatile enough to move from the edges to the middle. I wouldn't be mad at all if we moved up from our second pick to go get him.

Nope! Because the opposing team is surrounded by NFL talent too, not college scrubs.
Good list. I would put Charles Harris, Corey Davis, & Zach Cunningham as guys I think that are underrated. I would put Marshon Lattimore, Deshon Kizer & Humphrey on the overrated list.

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

Nope! Because the opposing team is surrounded by NFL talent too, not college scrubs.

Oh yea I forgot where he played. Not alot of NFL caliber players he goes up against
Ryan switzer really helped himself today. Tj logan ran a 4.37?
Underrated - Daeshon Hall (hard not to be when you're opposite MG)
Derek Rivers (Elite edge rusher IMO)
Chris Godwin (Almost like him more than ross)
Raekwon McMillan (No where near the love he deserves)
Jarrad Davis (IMO, best ILB in the draft)

Overrated - Mitchell Trubisky (Not my favorite QB in the draft)
Reuben Foster (seen calls for him at 2, not interested)
Leonard Fournette (top 10, not #2)
Underrated Safeties:
Dylan Haines

Alex Gray

Fish Smithson

Justin Evans

Deondre Singleton
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

I also don't get why Barnett's not rated higher...he and Garrett both had 32 sacks in their last two seasons. Less than half of Garrett's were vs SEC opponents, while 29 of 32 by Barnett were against SEC competition. Someone pls explain why Garrett's "all-world" and Barnett only gets whatever accolades don't fall to MG.

Because athletic ability is a significantly better predictor of DL success than college production, and Derek Barnett is a below average athlete while Myles Garrett is rated as the most athletic DL prospect ever.
Share 49ersWebzone