LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 212 users in the forums

How Free Agency has impacted the Draft

Originally posted by Draftology:
I don't think free agency has impacted the draft at all (at least not the first 2-3 rounds). What's impacting it is Cousins' desire to be a 49er. I'm very high on Trubisky but I think I would take Fournette with the second pick if we can't trade back.

Free Agency certainly hasn't eliminated any needs completely, but I think it has tipped our hand. Of course, there are still about 6 more weeks left to change the story!
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Even if you consider BPA, most of these defensive prospects are not even that much better than the QBs. Considering their injury history. Barring any unlikely trade down scenario:

Allen = shoulder arthritis. DL is also getting kind of crowded.

Foster = injured. No pro day workouts. No combine workouts. Drama with that nurse. All of that is gonna make him a top 5 pick? Don't see it.

Malik Hooker = injured. Drafting a free safety at #2? You don't even know what you have in Jimmie Ward yet for this. Makes no sense just like picking Allen at DL because you have Armstead/Buckner, even though I think AA is going to flame out but thats another discussion.

Jamall Adams = again. Safety at #2? Positional value just doesn't seem right for the #2 overall.

Corey Davis / Mike Williams = I mean, I like these guys, but they're not elite WR prospects. If you're going to reach for a WR here, you might as well get a QB. Especially since you splurged in free agency on multiple WRs.

Derek Barnett / Soloman Thomas = These two EDGE guys are the only people I see realistically at #2. Not injured. Barnett had more sacks than Garrett. Soloman Thomas had one explosive game on film that I think people are overrating a bit, but hes still pretty good.

I think Watson and Trubisky are still in play, as much as people don't like it.

What about Fournette? A little steep at #2 for a RB I know but he's a real BPA option imo
Folks, it ain't a coincidence that Ezekiel Elliot set the world on fire while playing behind the best O-line in the league. Drafting Fournette would improve the running game -- it couldn't not -- but it's no guarantee of a game-changer. Considering the ability to find RBs in later rounds (especially RBBC options) and the real opportunity to draft a game-changing pass-rusher at #2, it'd be a waste to use the pick on Fournette.
Originally posted by Karma:
Free Agency certainly hasn't eliminated any needs completely, but I think it has tipped our hand. Of course, there are still about 6 more weeks left to change the story!
I just didn't think we'd be picking anyone based on need unless it was a QB. Hoyer alone wouldn't stop me from taking Trubisky but the Cousins factor would. Beyond that, I think the exact same players are all in play with our first few picks.
NFL Network's Draft Analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate for the Redskins GM position. (via ESPN) https://t.co/GetJ7IQ2yC

Getting stranger and stranger 🤔
Originally posted by ninerAxe:
What about Fournette? A little steep at #2 for a RB I know but he's a real BPA option imo

It's a big mistake for us, in my opinion. But what do I know?

I just dont think our offensive line is that great. Garnett might not be a fit. Trent Brown probably doesn't have enough lateral agility to run the outside zone scheme that Kyle wants to do.

Dallas have great pieces on their o-line and it made sense for them to take Elliot. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for us.

Do we invest a #2 overall in a RB when we're not even sure our run blocking is that great? It's been proven to be pretty awful these past two years.

I would be fine with Fournette. We need an impact player at #2. If Kyle really believes in one of the top QB's, that's still a possibility. Also wouldn't mind a pass rusher like Soloman Thomas, or even the top WR, since we still need a big #1 receiver. We got lots of smaller dudes at WR.

Trading back of course could be a great move, but sometimes if you really like a guy it's better to just take him with your pick since you never know for sure if he will be there later on.
[ Edited by hello28 on Mar 10, 2017 at 12:01 PM ]
Even if you consider BPA, most of these defensive prospects are not even that much better than the QBs. Considering their injury history. Barring any unlikely trade down scenario:

Foster = injured. No pro day workouts. No combine workouts. Drama with that nurse. All of that is gonna make him a top 5 pick? Don't see it.

Malik Hooker = injured. Drafting a free safety at #2? You don't even know what you have in Jimmie Ward yet for this. Makes no sense just like picking Allen at DL because you have Armstead/Buckner, even though I think AA is going to flame out but thats another discussion.

Jamall Adams = again. Safety at #2? Positional value just doesn't seem right for the #2 overall.

Corey Davis / Mike Williams = I mean, I like these guys, but they're not elite WR prospects. If you're going to reach for a WR here, you might as well get a QB. Especially since you splurged in free agency on multiple WRs.

Derek Barnett / Soloman Thomas = These two EDGE guys are the only people I see realistically at #2. Not injured. Barnett had more sacks than Garrett. Soloman Thomas had one explosive game on film that I think people are overrating a bit, but hes still pretty good.

You pretty much nailed it. A few things though:

1- I doubt we take a QB at 2 when the whole world knows we are going to land Cousins after this year.

2- Marshon Lattimore. He is the pick. An elite cover corner with dominant ball skills when we are lacking a true #1 CB? It makes too much sense.
I'd be ok drafting Foster, Fournette, Thomas, or Lattimore at 2.. if we trade back depending how far, but if those 4 are gone we should look at Corey Davis or Mike Williams. IMO I wouldn't mind them at 2 either if Shannahan likes em enough, I trust his evaluation but like most I believe they can be had later in the draft. However it goes tho, it's nice to be excited again instead of dreading the offseason and waiting for something bad to happen.
Needs as I see it:

1- CB
2- DE
3- LB
4- RB

As for Fournette. No. Just no. Too much injury risk. Too heavy. Didn't test well. He has way too much bust potential. No chance a RB is worth the 2nd overall.

I'd go Jamal Adams if we didn't have Reid, Tartt and Ward at Safety which leaves Lattimore as the safest player with the highest upside who fills a huge need. Run some tape on Lattimore. I can't remember a better press corner than him coming out in the past 10 years. Stick him on a #1 wideout and let him do his thing. Dare teams to throw his way. It won't turn out well.

CB- Marshon Lattimore
CB- Rashard Robinson - Tramaine Brock
Slot- K'Waunn Williams - Will Redmon
SS- Eric Reid - Jaquiski Tartt
FS- Jimmy Ward

That is a nice looking secondary

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
You pretty much nailed it. A few things though:

1- I doubt we take a QB at 2 when the whole world knows we are going to land Cousins after this year.

2- Marshon Lattimore. He is the pick. An elite cover corner with dominant ball skills when we are lacking a true #1 CB? It makes too much sense.

Isn't lattimore hurt?
After day 1 of FA, my strategy:
Sign Pryor, Poe, Sheard, or Hightower, if not 2 of them (my guess would be odds go: Poe, Pryor, Hightower, Sheard)

So the Skins don't want to trade Kirk.. Think they'd do it if we swap 1st rounders?
Anyways, Try to acquire Kirk, if not see if the Pats will swap 1st rounders for Garoppolo, along with swapping 4th's maybe at most 3rd's.

That is if the Browns aren't open to trading up to 2 for Garrett and Mitch, or they don't somehow pass on Garrett.. (Meaning we pick up their 2nd first rounder and 33)

Move back in the 1st no matter what. Consider: Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams, Obi Melifonwu, Mike Williams, Corey Davis.
2nd round: Best interior OL, Raekwon McMillan, Patrick Mahomes, Jarrad Davis.
3rd: OL, RB, or Peterman if QBs are flying off the board
4th: Peterman
5th, 6th, 7th: Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

This. Even with Cousins in the fold next year having Mitch or Watson with a year under their belts would still be a major asset. With Hoyer or Barkley being behind Cousins and the draftee. And the s**t with Cousins could fall apart. What if he suffers a major injury late in the season? Or another team just outbids us? Guess you could just beat on Hoyer for another year and re evaluate the qb situation.

Absolutely. Hoyer is a bridge QB, Barkley is a back-up and Cousins is 2018 which is eternity away in NFL terms and a lot could happen between now and then. I already mentioned in another post of mine what if Cousins plays like sh*t in 2017 or he suffers a major injury? The reality is we must cover all grounds via all avenues. If Lynch and Shanny like say Trubisky, I wouldn't put it pass them that they will not pull the trigger.

Even if they don't take a QB at 2, they will take one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Also, I agree a lot of the defensive prospects in the draft besides Garrett are no big deal. If you are talking about BPA at 2, that guy could well be Fournette, don't just assume it will be Allen. Some big boards out there already have Fournette at 2.
I'd like to see Lynch sign another stout DL...I don't feel comfortable relying on Dial. I'd draft Peppers...dude's a baller, is stout and quite healthy. He'd be our deep S.
I don't see Lynch drafting any QB at #2...it's possible, but I really doubt it. I'd take Allen...but he's not 100% healthy. No more drafting injured players! If they go into the draft with no gaping holes...and another DL besides Dial, I'd be ok with Peppers. There's OT Garrett Bolles from Utah that really looked good at the combine...very athletic, when I saw him going through the drills I immediately thought "there's a guy Shanahan would love" on his OL I've seen him rising up a number of mocks, usually mid-1st rd or so. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Shanahan tell Lynch he wants two OL, one interior & one OT. Feedback on Wyoming RB Brian Hill from their pro day was very positive. He's a workhorse RB, but also showed some pretty natural pass catching abilities at the Combine and their Pro Day. I see Coach wanting a guy like that to pair up w/Hyde. I see where Cousins is saying he won't negotiate a long-term deal w/'Skins as long as Bruce Allen's there. Unless something weird happens, he'll be a Niner a year from now.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

If we don't go QB, Fournette will be a great pick. He is BPA at 2 in a few of the big boards out there. Put it this way, Fournette is a better RB than Allen as a DE.
Share 49ersWebzone