LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 242 users in the forums

How Free Agency has impacted the Draft

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Rascal:
I disagree. I think Fournette will be much more of an impact player than Lattimore or Adams.

Once you put Fournette into context with Hyde and Juszczyk, we can probably dominate the run game in the league.

Problem is Fournette does nothing for what Shanahan looks for. He will offer literally nothing in the pass game and he is not a fit for our offense.

From NFL.com:

Doesn't see cutback lanes developing as outside zone runner and prefers to keep runs play-side.

Something about Fournette screams Ron Dayne. You can't run over guys in the NFL like he did in college and if he tries he won't last long. He doesn't make guys miss either. He could be great but it's concerning especially if we are considering him at #2.

Again, I disagree. Talent is talent. And what has Shanny been telling us repeatedly? Is all about designing a system that best fit the talent on your roster. In other words, If Fournette is more of a downhill runner and because he is so good at it, the play designs/calls for him could be slightly different to fit his power run game.

This is precisely why Kyle Shanahan is such a great coach cos he knows what to do with different players to both make the player as well as the team successful. He has been doing this all his life.

And to say Fournette doesn't make guys miss is off base. Obviously, you haven't watched enough of his tape. My advice is watch more tapes and you will get a better idea what he can do.

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Even if you consider BPA, most of these defensive prospects are not even that much better than the QBs. Considering their injury history. Barring any unlikely trade down scenario:

Allen = shoulder arthritis. DL is also getting kind of crowded.

Foster = injured. No pro day workouts. No combine workouts. Drama with that nurse. All of that is gonna make him a top 5 pick? Don't see it.

Malik Hooker = injured. Drafting a free safety at #2? You don't even know what you have in Jimmie Ward yet for this. Makes no sense just like picking Allen at DL because you have Armstead/Buckner, even though I think AA is going to flame out but thats another discussion.

Jamall Adams = again. Safety at #2? Positional value just doesn't seem right for the #2 overall.

Corey Davis / Mike Williams = I mean, I like these guys, but they're not elite WR prospects. If you're going to reach for a WR here, you might as well get a QB. Especially since you splurged in free agency on multiple WRs.

Derek Barnett / Soloman Thomas = These two EDGE guys are the only people I see realistically at #2. Not injured. Barnett had more sacks than Garrett. Soloman Thomas had one explosive game on film that I think people are overrating a bit, but hes still pretty good.

I think Watson and Trubisky are still in play, as much as people don't like it.

You pretty much nailed it. A few things though:

1- I doubt we take a QB at 2 when the whole world knows we are going to land Cousins after this year.

2- Marshon Lattimore. He is the pick. An elite cover corner with dominant ball skills when we are lacking a true #1 CB? It makes too much sense.

Agreed. After everything that's gone down the last two days, the obvious pick for me is Lattimore 2nd overall. I'm thinking something like this:

1.) Marshon Lattimore, CB - Ohio State (shut down corner)
2.) Jordan Willis, DE - Kansas State (Leo) OR best LB available
3.) Best RB or QB available
4.) Best QB or RB available
4.) Best development WR available
5.) Best OL available
5.) Best LB available OR best DE available
6.) Best DT available
6.) Best developmental RB or QB or OL
7.) Best developmental OL or RB or QB

UDFAs
1 FB, 2 RBs, 2 OL, 2 LBs, 2-3 DLs, WRs
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 10, 2017 at 8:26 PM ]
I hate the idea of using the #2 pick on two of our stronger positions and ones which are impacted so much by other areas of the team. Oh and both positions are very deep this year.
Originally posted by genus49:
I hate the idea of using the #2 pick on two of our stronger positions and ones which are impacted so much by other areas of the team. Oh and both positions are very deep this year.

I get that, but now that Ward is moving to safety do you see a clear starter opposite Robinson at CB this year? If you get Lattimore, you don't have to worry about the corner position for years. It's cliche' these days, but Lattimore has all the tools to be a true shut down "Revis-type." IMO, nobody else offers as much value at #2 than him.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I get that, but now that Ward is moving to safety do you see a clear starter opposite Robinson at CB this year? If you get Lattimore, you don't have to worry about the corner position for years. It's cliche' these days, but Lattimore has all the tools to be a true shut down "Revis-type." IMO, nobody else offers as much value at #2 than him.

Honestly I'm not even sure he's the top corner in this class when it's all said and done and I don't like hearing there a recurring issues with his hammy. Besides when was the last time a corner went top 2 and was worth it?

Doesn't he have the injury bug?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Put it this way, a pick as high as 2 should be a maximum impact player that can make a difference right off the bat.

Defensive players in this draft is way deep and we will have plenty of opportunities to pick one, EDGE, CB and whatever you want.

Apart from Garrett who is the undisputed No.1 pick, any defensive players below him aren't all that convincing. I will go all out and say Fournette is the best player after Garrett without a question. He is a generational player, he is even better than Todd Gurley.

Honestly I'm not even sure he's the top corner in this class when it's all said and done and I don't like hearing there a recurring issues with his hammy. Besides when was the last time a corner went top 2 and was worth it?

You could probably say that for most positions other than QB or DE/EDGE rusher. Since 2000, only Calvin Johnson in 2007 and Suh in 2010 were of any true value at #2 overall outside of the QB or EDGE rush role.

Truth is, this is not a very good draft class to be sitting in the top 2-5.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 10, 2017 at 9:08 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:

Doesn't he have the injury bug?

He had hamstring injuries early on but was fine all this year. Had a hip flexor strain at the combine, but he should be good to for his pro day on 3/23.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Put it this way, a pick as high as 2 should be a maximum impact player that can make a difference right off the bat.

Defensive players in this draft is way deep and we will have plenty of opportunities to pick one, EDGE, CB and whatever you want.

Apart from Garrett who is the undisputed No.1 pick, any defensive players below him aren't all that convincing. I will go all out and say Fournette is the best player after Garrett without a question. He is a generational player, he is even better than Todd Gurley.

Fournette may not be even the best back in this class. I'll take Solomon Thomas over him in a heartbeat. That kid is a player no matter what scheme he plays in.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Fournette may not be even the best back in this class. I'll take Solomon Thomas over him in a heartbeat. That kid is a player no matter what scheme he plays in.

Difference in opinion, mate.

Sure, a lot of sites might have Dalvin Cook ranked as the No.1 back with Fournette at No.2.

But, do you know what is the most intriguing part about that?

Well, once you turn the page from positional ranking to mock draft, Dalvin Cook is nowhere to be seen whereas Fournette is the only RB taken in the 1st round in many mock drafts. Or if Dalvin Cook is there, he is drafted lower than Fournette. In the worst case scenario in some mocks you might even see McCaffrey's name as the second back taken in the 1st and still no sign of Dalvin Cook anywhere.

I don't know what you make of that. In any case, I rate him higher than Cook. I see Fournette as a game changer much like Todd Gurley, only better.

As for Solomon Thomas, again difference in opinion. Not saying he is not good, but I see Fournette as a difference maker as a RB much like Myles Garrett as a difference maker as a DE. While Solomon Thomas is good, I just don't see that kind of impact from him.
Rascal, I also see Fournette as that difference maker. Total beast who can make an impact from day 1.
Id rather invest in OL early (Not 1st pick) and RB late (Mixon if he drops to the 4th or later or Kareem hunt) as opposed to RB early (fournette) and OL late.

OL is shallow this year. Aside from fournette not being a scheme fit, we don't have an online for him to be a true impact player day one. Hunt or Mixon (not looking for a debate on the politics of drafting him) should be much better fits in this offense, and we can get a guy like lamp in the late first early 2nd, and a guy like Toth in the 3rd
I like Fournette a bunch but I wonder if he is a mile deep and an inch wide. How versatile is he?

So you're passing on Lynch and Pederson because how do they come out together in the same class.
Share 49ersWebzone