LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 235 users in the forums

Kareem Hunt RB Toledo

Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fantasypros.com/2017/04/scouting-profile-running-back-kareem-hunt/amp/

"When hearing about his difficulty to break arm tackles, you've probably already thought about the fact that he won't break very many tackles at the NFL level. His best bet is to get low to the ground creating a compact 216 pounds with a small tackling area. Some may say that he had a lot of his success outside of the tackles, but the game speed is much different in the NFL. He takes a long time to decelerate when going to the edge and making his cut up the field, which is why it won't work out well in the NFL, as their closing speed is much faster.

With all that being said, Hunt is a surprisingly good receiver out of the backfield. The reason for that is because he is at his best in the open field. He doesn't lose much speed when changing direction, which is a good trait to have. Now it's not like he has Le'Veon Bell-type cuts when changing direction, but it's enough to beat a defender one-on-one."

NFL comparison
"Before letting you know Hunt's comparison, you need to know that this is who his game resembles. It doesn't mean he's going to go on to rush for 13,000 yards and 74 touchdowns. The player who I'm reminded of when watching Hunt is Frank Gore, who has made a living on staying low to the ground, creating a smaller tackle box. He isn't breaking many tackles at this point in his career, but when he did, it was due to lower body strength. Hunt would need to hit the weight room, but I don't think a game comparable to Gore's is out of reach."

Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fantasypros.com/2017/04/scouting-profile-running-back-kareem-hunt/amp/

"When hearing about his difficulty to break arm tackles, you've probably already thought about the fact that he won't break very many tackles at the NFL level. His best bet is to get low to the ground creating a compact 216 pounds with a small tackling area. Some may say that he had a lot of his success outside of the tackles, but the game speed is much different in the NFL. He takes a long time to decelerate when going to the edge and making his cut up the field, which is why it won't work out well in the NFL, as their closing speed is much faster.

With all that being said, Hunt is a surprisingly good receiver out of the backfield. The reason for that is because he is at his best in the open field. He doesn't lose much speed when changing direction, which is a good trait to have. Now it's not like he has Le'Veon Bell-type cuts when changing direction, but it's enough to beat a defender one-on-one."

NFL comparison
"Before letting you know Hunt's comparison, you need to know that this is who his game resembles. It doesn't mean he's going to go on to rush for 13,000 yards and 74 touchdowns. The player who I'm reminded of when watching Hunt is Frank Gore, who has made a living on staying low to the ground, creating a smaller tackle box. He isn't breaking many tackles at this point in his career, but when he did, it was due to lower body strength. Hunt would need to hit the weight room, but I don't think a game comparable to Gore's is out of reach."

He shows similar decisiveness, balance and agility like we saw from Gore, especially early on in his career. Gore overall was a more talented player but I have no trouble seeing Hunt being a perennial 1,000 yard rusher in this offense. He has the full skillset that you want.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 17, 2017 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He shows similar decisiveness, balance and agility like we saw from Gore, especially early on in his career. Gore overall was a more talented player but I have no trouble seeing Hunt being a perennial 1,000 yard rusher in this offense. He has the full skillset that you want.

I agree 110% and the numbers back your prediction about him being a 1,000 yard back inthe NFL. The senior bowl helped him out. I have watched the video a couple times. The more I watch, the more I want this kid on our squad. The NFL is buzzing with his name now.

"As Toledo's feature back, Hunt rushed for 4,945 yards in his career with 44 touchdowns. He had 1,475 yards as a senior, averaging 5.6 yards per carry with 10 touchdowns. He also showed his receiving skills as a senior with 41 catches for 403 yards, 9.8 yards a catch and one touchdown.

That earned Hunt an invite to the 2017 NFL Combine and the Senior Bowl, where for two weeks he impressed NFL teams with his work ethic, then produced very well in the game. Hunt rushed 15 times for 118 yards, including one carry for 20 yards and another for 43."
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.cleveland.com/v1/articles/20464659/nfl_draft_2017_toledos_kareem.amp

[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 17, 2017 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Good college stats, but looks crap on tape, plus slow as fxxk too.

Frank gore looked "slow as f**k"

get vision, good burst, hard to tackle, can catch the ball...great vlaue imo

Kinda sounds like this scout.

Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:

lol
LOL...stuff like the post above cracks me up. Draft "experts" ranking the draft 2 days after its complete is a total farce. Many of Baalke's draft grades were C or above and turned out to be total crap drafts. I'd rather take an initial "D-" grade and end up with all stars.
They probably have to take him in the 3rd. He the guy tho
Originally posted by ltrain:
LOL...stuff like the post above cracks me up. Draft "experts" ranking the draft 2 days after its complete is a total farce. Many of Baalke's draft grades were C or above and turned out to be total crap drafts. I'd rather take an initial "D-" grade and end up with all stars.

Yeah this guy is probably on a forum now and that dude that says I've been a scout for twenty years, yada-yada..and they say wild ish all the time lol.
Kareem is a RB who should thrive in Shanahan's offense...the comparisons to Gore are legit. Similar size, tough runner, excellent receiver, he'd benefit greatly being coached by Bobby Turner. It won't surprise me at all if Lynch drafts him. That said, there are a bunch of RB's with similar traits in this draft...it may come down to character/work ethic, etc. Whomever it is, our new RB will have an opportunity to do some great things.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Kareem is a RB who should thrive in Shanahan's offense...the comparisons to Gore are legit. Similar size, tough runner, excellent receiver, he'd benefit greatly being coached by Bobby Turner. It won't surprise me at all if Lynch drafts him. That said, there are a bunch of RB's with similar traits in this draft...it may come down to character/work ethic, etc. Whomever it is, our new RB will have an opportunity to do some great things.

Frank Gore is a pit bull. Kareem Hunt is more like a German Sheppard lol.

Hilarious. I'll honestly say that Gore looked much better as a pro than he did in his final year at Miami. Maybe it's because he was coming off of that second injury and wasn't fully recovered. Nevertheless, there are a lot of foolish opinions floating now and the report on Gore you posted is proof.
LOL to German Shepard. I think Hunt represents the all-around RB excellence this draft will be known for. I can't remember a draft so rich in RB talent, particularly this many guys who catch the ball so well besides being excellent runners. I trust Lynch/Shanahan to draft a very good one...and it could well be Hunt.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
LOL to German Shepard. I think Hunt represents the all-around RB excellence this draft will be known for. I can't remember a draft so rich in RB talent, particularly this many guys who catch the ball so well besides being excellent runners. I trust Lynch/Shanahan to draft a very good one...and it could well be Hunt.

Yessir! He's going in the 3rd.. just dunno how safe you wanna play it. I think like Frank,it's gonna have to be at the tippy top of the 3rd as much as we'd like for him to be there in the 4th.

Man that guy was wrong lol. This will show my age but i was 10 when gore was drafted but and thats when I started followed football, so I didn't see him play at college. But its hard to believe that someone that supposedly lost their explosiveness and had 2 knee injuries pulled out a long and possibly a HOF career. That's why Gore will always be my favorite player of all time.
8. KAREEM HUNT, Toledo (5-10 ½, 218, 4.59, 3-4): Third-year junior. "If he was playing at one of the SEC schools the whole world would know about him," said one scout. "I didn't have the guts to give him higher than a third-round grade given the competition. Seldom tackled by the first man. Effective receiver out of the backfield. Excellent balance." Weight fluctuated wildly in the last 12 months (was 237 last spring). That and off-field issues require scrutiny. "He's grown up where I'm comfortable with the kid," a second scout said. "But he's not special enough to be the guy." Carried 782 times for 4,945 (6.3) and 44 TDs with 73 receptions for 555. Three-sport athlete from Willoughby, Ohio. "He's a banger with the ability to drop his hips and move laterally," said a third scout. "Weight may be an issue. Still trying to work through that. Really good in blitz pickup. Really showed well at the Senior Bowl."
Share 49ersWebzone