LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 228 users in the forums

Josh Allen-QB-Wyoming-2018

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Really ? Does he have that much potential talent that he hasn't reached yet ? Never heard of the kid until like a month ago..

Everyone wants to find that guy they can say "I was the first" on. So chances are he is a 5th round pick next year. But if not then draftnicks can brag about being early on him.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Everyone wants to find that guy they can say "I was the first" on. So chances are he is a 5th round pick next year. But if not then draftnicks can brag about being early on him.

Yeah that's totally it.
Every time a college QB comes up and he's from a smaller school I wonder if scouts missed on him or he wanted to stay home, like Wentz for instance..I think he'd actually from North Dakota tho..

Allen is from California, he went to a tiny high school and got passed up in the recruiting process. He was a lot skinnier, smaller and there just wasn't a lot of interest in him coming out of high school.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/wyoming-s-turnaround-headed-by-josh-allen-the-can-t/article_dfb5009b-01ab-532d-8d43-c8ca8e13453c.html

As a 180-pound gunslinger for Magnusson at Firebaugh (California) High School, a school of 650 kids in a two-stoplight farm town, Allen didn't garner much recruiting attention.

Many in Firebaugh believed Allen would end up at nearby Fresno State, but the Bulldogs said they were looking for a bigger quarterback. As a three-sport athlete, Allen spent more time on the field than in the weight room, but Magnusson knew that once he grew into his body, Allen would be something special.

"He was doing things with a 6-foot-3, 180-pound body that if he ever gets to 220, he's going to be the most dangerous QB on the planet," Magnusson said. "And I'm sure they thought I was trying to sell them a car, but I'm not that guy. I'm a Christian guy. I wasn't trying to sell them anything. I was telling them what I actually believed he could do."

After a season at Reedley Community College, Allen's only offers came from Eastern Michigan and Wyoming.

Now a 6-foot-5, 225-pound redshirt sophomore with the Cowboys, few teams would turn down a second chance at Allen.

He has already been dubbed Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week twice this season and the Manning Award Quarterback of the Week once.

And it doesn't appear he is about to peak anytime soon.

"It was very frustrating having coaches overlook you and it still fuels me every day that multiple coaches have done that," Allen said. "I come out every game with the same mentality: 'I don't like your team. You didn't recruit me.'"

His arm is strong enough to make passes that can only be described as "NFL throws." His legs have added a whole new component to Wyoming's offense. And his size, speed and agility would seem to make him the complete package.

Allen's emergence this season, his first as a full-time starter, is arguably the biggest reason Wyoming has gone from a two-win team to one contending for a conference championship.

Back at Firebaugh, kids are wearing Wyoming shirts to school on Fridays. Players on the junior team are begging to tag along with Magnusson and watch Allen play at UNLV on Saturday instead of playing in their own championship game.

Bohl compares Allen favorably to Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, whom Bohl coached at North Dakota State.

55% completion percentage and 15 picks?

Originally posted by Jcool:
Really ? Does he have that much potential talent that he hasn't reached yet ? Never heard of the kid until like a month ago..

A 5th round pick? He'd have gone well before the 5th if he came out this year. He'd have challenged Mahomes in providing the impressive set of physical traits for a QB. Some coach would look at him as an amazing lump of clay to mold into a dominant QB.

5th round? Silly.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Every time a college QB comes up and he's from a smaller school I wonder if scouts missed on him or he wanted to stay home, like Wentz for instance..I think he'd actually from North Dakota tho..

Allen is from California, he went to a tiny high school and got passed up in the recruiting process. He was a lot skinnier, smaller and there just wasn't a lot of interest in him coming out of high school.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/wyoming-s-turnaround-headed-by-josh-allen-the-can-t/article_dfb5009b-01ab-532d-8d43-c8ca8e13453c.html

As a 180-pound gunslinger for Magnusson at Firebaugh (California) High School, a school of 650 kids in a two-stoplight farm town, Allen didn't garner much recruiting attention.

Many in Firebaugh believed Allen would end up at nearby Fresno State, but the Bulldogs said they were looking for a bigger quarterback. As a three-sport athlete, Allen spent more time on the field than in the weight room, but Magnusson knew that once he grew into his body, Allen would be something special.

"He was doing things with a 6-foot-3, 180-pound body that if he ever gets to 220, he's going to be the most dangerous QB on the planet," Magnusson said. "And I'm sure they thought I was trying to sell them a car, but I'm not that guy. I'm a Christian guy. I wasn't trying to sell them anything. I was telling them what I actually believed he could do."

After a season at Reedley Community College, Allen's only offers came from Eastern Michigan and Wyoming.

Now a 6-foot-5, 225-pound redshirt sophomore with the Cowboys, few teams would turn down a second chance at Allen.

He has already been dubbed Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week twice this season and the Manning Award Quarterback of the Week once.

And it doesn't appear he is about to peak anytime soon.

"It was very frustrating having coaches overlook you and it still fuels me every day that multiple coaches have done that," Allen said. "I come out every game with the same mentality: 'I don't like your team. You didn't recruit me.'"

His arm is strong enough to make passes that can only be described as "NFL throws." His legs have added a whole new component to Wyoming's offense. And his size, speed and agility would seem to make him the complete package.

Allen's emergence this season, his first as a full-time starter, is arguably the biggest reason Wyoming has gone from a two-win team to one contending for a conference championship.

Back at Firebaugh, kids are wearing Wyoming shirts to school on Fridays. Players on the junior team are begging to tag along with Magnusson and watch Allen play at UNLV on Saturday instead of playing in their own championship game.

Bohl compares Allen favorably to Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, whom Bohl coached at North Dakota State.

Seems like a young kid who has had to work hard for everything he has going for him and in my book that's a big plus compared to a 5 star recruit who is given everything, working hard and earning what you want is a characteristic that I want in a player..
This kid is going back to school.
The hype is real.

Dave Southorn‏ @davesouthorn

Just now on ESPN, Adam Schefter said an NFL personnel director told him to put it in the books that Josh Allen will be the No. 1 pick in '18

• Tman
  • Veteran
Kaaya @ 2 lol
The hype is real.

Just now on ESPN, Adam Schefter said an NFL personnel director told him to put it in the books that Josh Allen will be the No. 1 pick in '18

I think Allen has the physical tools that will allow his hype train to maintain speed.

We should all definitely keep and eye on him, Darnold and Rosen. Rudolph, Falk, Browning make some decent options later on as well.

The hype is real.

wow. kaaya at 2 lol. He called it with fournette at 4 to a florida team tho lol.
Originally posted by genus49:
I think Allen has the physical tools that will allow his hype train to maintain speed.

We should all definitely keep and eye on him, Darnold and Rosen. Rudolph, Falk, Browning make some decent options later on as well.

According to Matt Miller its going to be hard for any QB to top Josh Rosen's mechanics
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

That is what got Jake Locker drafted #8 and Blaine Gabbert #10.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
The hype is real.

And the year before:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12836848/christian-hackenberg-tops-way-too-early-2016-mock-draft-nfl-draft
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
According to Matt Miller its going to be hard for any QB to top Josh Rosen's mechanics

Rosen reminds me of matt Ryan...he's my #2 qb...the qb class is gonna be pretty solid next yr and who knows who's gonna be the next Mitchell.
Share 49ersWebzone