LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 245 users in the forums

Reuben Foster, ILB, Bama

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Bama defenders have the same problem QBs on teams like USC and Oklahoma have. They are usually on such stacked teams you really cant tell if they are good players or not.
Not a fan of Foster. Watch his tape. He plays 100% clean on almost every snap. Rarely does he have to deal with a guard or a blocker getting to the second level. For someone who plays so untouched in the middle of the defense, you'd expect a lot more plays to be broken up in the backfield than Foster shows on tape.

If you're going to be a top 10 ILB, you better have elite instincts. You have to see plays before they develop. Top 10 ILBs recognize the run before the offensive linemen even gets into their blocking sets. They shoot gaps before the run play even develops and blow up plays in the backfield. Kuechly does this every single game. I don't see it with Foster.

He's a good player, but he's not Willis or Kuechly. If you're going to be a top 10 pick, you better be Kuechly or Willis.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 10, 2016 at 12:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Not a fan of Foster. Watch his tape. He plays 100% clean on almost every snap. Rarely does he have to deal with a guard or a blocker getting to the second level. For someone who plays so untouched in the middle of the defense, you'd expect a lot more plays to be broken up in the backfield than Foster shows on tape.

If you're going to be a top 10 ILB, you better have elite instincts. You have to see plays before they develop. Top 10 ILBs recognize the run before the offensive linemen even gets into their blocking sets. They shoot gaps before the run play even develops and blow up plays in the backfield. Kuechly does this every single game. I don't see it with Foster.

He's a good player, but he's not Willis or Kuechly. If you're going to be a top 10 pick, you better be Kuechly or Willis.

I'll admit he is often coming off clean but that's not really his fault. You can't ding a player because his teammates are so good. Also he blows up plenty of plays in the backfield. This year he had 12 tackles for losses, in college Kuechly had 12 and Willis had 11.5. On top of that he had 4 sacks this season to Willis 3 and Keuchly 0. IDK where your not seeing the intincts, kids got it in spades. He flows to where the ball will be consistenly and at an elite level. In fact his intinct are one of his biggest strengths. . Watch Willis anf Kuechly college tape then watch his. Other then playing with better players in front of him they aren't that different.
I like Foster too but with pass rush being our biggest need we can trade down for one of those. Honestly, I'd take 2 pass rushers in this draft. We hardly ever even pressure the QB.
Originally posted by SheHateMe:
I like Foster too but with pass rush being our biggest need we can trade down for one of those. Honestly, I'd take 2 pass rushers in this draft. We hardly ever even pressure the QB.

There are also a lot of good ILBs in FA. Hightower, Kiko & a few others.
Originally posted by shmuck:
I'll admit he is often coming off clean but that's not really his fault. You can't ding a player because his teammates are so good. Also he blows up plenty of plays in the backfield. This year he had 12 tackles for losses, in college Kuechly had 12 and Willis had 11.5. On top of that he had 4 sacks this season to Willis 3 and Keuchly 0. IDK where your not seeing the intincts, kids got it in spades. He flows to where the ball will be consistenly and at an elite level. In fact his intinct are one of his biggest strengths. . Watch Willis anf Kuechly college tape then watch his. Other then playing with better players in front of him they aren't that different.

How many first round talents did kuechly and Willis play with in front of them?
the few times he has to take on a guard at the second level, this happens:

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by SheHateMe:

There are also a lot of good ILBs in FA. Hightower, Kiko & a few others.

Truth. I love Foster, but Kiko and I'd add Zach Brown to that list can be had with our cap space. Plus I really liked what I saw from Ray Ray before he went down
Happens to the best of them.

https://youtu.be/A7I5A05f8T8
  • Tman
  • Veteran
the few times he has to take on a guard at the second level, this happens:

that lineman looks massive

Originally posted by 16_to_80:
Happens to the best of them.

https://youtu.be/A7I5A05f8T8

Not even remotely comparable to the Foster gif I posted. Willis is taking on the fullback ISO block in the hole so that bowman can scrape over and flow to the ball.

Foster was taking on a guard working off an ace block in open space. You're supposed to punch/jar the guard and blow him off his feet. Instead, foster got pancakes. He's not used to having to shed and beat blocks because all the studs he's got in front of him.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 10, 2016 at 5:13 PM ]
Myles Jack was exemplary in beating blocks at the second level. note the hip explosion and the jarring punch.

[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 10, 2016 at 5:21 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Truth. I love Foster, but Kiko and I'd add Zach Brown to that list can be had with our cap space. Plus I really liked what I saw from Ray Ray before he went down

I agree so long as you draft a pass rusher. Kiko is having a good season,Brown is definitely solid and I like Ray-Ray as well. Hopefully Bowman can come back without any set backs. It's amazing to see the drop off in stopping the run after he got injured this year. We were definitely in that Dallas game when he got injured and then Elliot went off on us.
Originally posted by Tman:
that lineman looks massive

Lol agreed I don't think anyone at the second level has any business taking him on.

Nice analysis
Share 49ersWebzone