There are 257 users in the forums

Unexpected Pick at 7 you could live with

Originally posted by genus49:
I could pretty much stand virtually any first round pick outside of Cook.

Certain players I'd be ok with.
Certain players i could reason as good in the future
Cook is probably the only guy I'd really really really hate to see.

Don't you feel like your jinxing yourself well us?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Paxton Lynch.

Huge upside despite the fact that he is very raw. Would not love it, but could live with it and Kelly will have input on any QB's taken. That man knows QB's better than any single one of us on here.

Maybe in a trade back but I'll be fuming if he's the pick at #7.

With Cleveland, Chicago, NO, NYJ and Buffalo as all teams that technically could draft Lynch or move up for him, then taking at 7 if he is who we really want is probably an intelligent decision that assures Chip and Trent get their guy. But again that largely depends on if he is even there guy.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Paxton Lynch.

Huge upside despite the fact that he is very raw. Would not love it, but could live with it and Kelly will have input on any QB's taken. That man knows QB's better than any single one of us on here.

Maybe in a trade back but I'll be fuming if he's the pick at #7.

With Cleveland, Chicago, NO, NYJ and Buffalo as all teams that technically could draft Lynch or move up for him, then taking at 7 if he is who we really want is probably an intelligent decision that assures Chip and Trent get their guy. But again that largely depends on if he is even there guy.

Yeah this.

Sure, I'd LOVE to somehow land a Buckner, Bosa, or Tunsil, and then trade back up for Lynch. Or trade back and end up turning that extra pick into a decent OL or DL player in rounds 2 or 3.

But come on... if they really think Lynch is our QB of the future then there is no "too early'
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Most pundits have us taking Stanley, Jack or Buckner. It's understood if Tunsil, Ramsey or Bosa falls we may take them. However, there are some other players that may end up with us that would somewhat be surprises , like Aldon in 2011 (though that pick worked out... for a few years )

My two are Shaq Lawson and Ezekiel Elliot. I know we don't need a RB in theory, but he's that rare kind of RB that you break the rules for. I'd compare it to when the Vikings drafted Adrian Peterson even though Chester Taylor ran for 1300 yards the year before. Time shows us that was clearly the right pick.

I agree with your choices, both I could live with but Lawson more than Elliot.
DAL picks Elliott and both Stanley AND Tunsil go prior to #7.

We pick Bosa, then use some more of our picks to move to #8 and pick Buckner.

Or Bosa/Ramsey or Buckner/Ramsey

And tell the NFL that their QB's are as good as dead.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:14 AM ]
Sheldon Rankins. i wouldn't hate that pick at all. Elliott wouldn't be the best pick, but I would understand it.
It's Shaq Lawson for me. When I watch him I see shades of Tamba Hali.
Originally posted by boast:
two 1st rd picks via a trade down.

I would love this. Two O-Linemen anybody?
Trade down and grab Conklin, then use some picks to trade back into the first
Originally posted by SF_Warrior:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF_Warrior:
Conklin.

Please no Lawson.

God I hope they dont draft Lawson, a complete young pass rusher that had his way with some top offensive tackles, was highly productive and comes with possibly the highest motor in the draft and outstanding character and leadership, its like, the 49ers only want alcoholics and wife beaters, no thanks, Lawson is

Well, i´m not a big fan from Lawson. He still has to work on his pass rushing skills. He is far away being complete imo.

There's a report going around that Lawson is lazy. Its an article titled "Lawson, Just a Guy".
Originally posted by martysofresh:
I would love this. Two O-Linemen anybody?
Trade down and grab Conklin, then use some picks to trade back into the first

There's a report going around that Lawson is lazy. Its an article titled "Lawson, Just a Guy".

"As many good splash plays as he has had, he has had too many, for me, plays where Shaq looks slow, sluggish and not very competitive," Riddick said. "Quite honestly, in scouting terms, he looks like just a guy. That concerns me.

"I really like Shaq Lawson," Riddick said. "And I like his teammate Dodd who was down there on the other side at Clemson. Lawson is just a little big bigger, but they both can get after it. They are both multi-dimensional, two-point, three-point stance-type people. Those guys will be available in there.

"Shaq Lawson will be a good player. He's dynamite."

I think at some point these analysts have run out of stuff to talk about so they start saying anything just to create attention for themselves.

Calling a guy who had 50+ TFL's in college with just one season as a starter "lazy" will raise some eyebrows.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM ]
I wouldn't prefer it and it would be considered a "reach" but I wouldn't lose my mind if we picked Paxton at 7. And really it may not be such a reach after all. We are in desperate need of a QB and Lynch has a s**t ton of upside and a cannon. If a team feels they have their (future) franchise QB in hand...they should just draft them regardless of where they pick. They're so hard to come by. We can find quality defensive players in 2nd round and beyond. QB? Not so much. Everyone else seems serviceable. Wouldn't be surprised if the Browns took them at 8.

I love Shaq Lawson. He's the guy I want now.
Im all for being surprised.. but not with a QB - god what a waste of #7 that would be.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
UNEXPECTED PLAYERS I COULD LIVE WITH:

Eze Elliott
Shaq Lawson
Jack Conklin
Noah Spence
Robert Nkemdiche

PLAYERS I COULD NOT LIVE WITH (7TH OVERALL)

THE BIG BUCK
MYLE'S HIGH
H3
THE PAX
ANY TIDES PLAYERS
[ Edited by 9moon on Apr 27, 2016 at 11:17 AM ]
Paxton Lynch and more so for the reasoning than player. There are roughly 10 players that wouldn't be a surprise because they have the traits (productivity, relative scheme fit, and skill set) deserving of being a top 10 pick for us.

Bosa
Ramsey
Tunsil
Elliot
Buckner
Goff
Wentz
Jack
Stanley
Hargreaves

If we're to take a shocker, I'd be pissed with anything other than Lynch because when it comes to qb's, any qb that you believe can be an above average starter can't be a reach. In this case we either view him as a franchise qb or we don't; there's really no in between. Yes there's risk of busting but if our "scouts" feel he is a franchise qb you have to pull the trigger simply because the upside of a franchise qb is far greater than any player that will be there at 7.

What adds to Lynch being a deceptively good "Shocker" pick is that early in draft season many considered him equal to Jared Goff and arguably the best qb in the draft. If teams can justify trading away 2 full drafts for Goff and Wentz it seems reasonable to use the 7th pick on a guy that was ranked neck and neck before the whole analysis by paralysis of draft season,

To me, he's not far off from Wentz. Both check all the boxes of traits (tall, mobile, stong arm) and both have some projection. Wentz is ranked higher because of football IQ shown in games as a Senior against far inferior talent while surrounded by elite talent (relative to his opponents). Paxton was a great player that was surrounded by far inferior talent (relative to opponent). If he simply was allowed at the Senior Bowl and had a solid performance, which there's no reason to think he wouldn't given how he showed against stacked SEC teams like Ole Miss, I'm not so sure he wouldn't have had the same momentum of Wentz.

The more I write this, the more I'm almost secretly hoping for Lynch. Add in the bonus that he's a great scheme fit for Kelly and he's the type of pick that if it "hits" could immediately change the tide of our franchise. You can't say that about any non-qb in this draft.
Shaq Lawson
Vernon Butler (trade down)
Share 49ersWebzone