There are 185 users in the forums

The plus side of failing in Free Agency

All of our roster holes are still wide opened! When you look at this draft, there appears to be a consensus top 7 picks, and they each fill a huge area of need. Below would be my top 7 big board, although it probably doesn't matter as we'll just get what we get. the one scenario that is likely is that we'll be able to choose between Buckner and a QB if the Ravens go with Stanley at #6.

1. Bosa OLB/DE
  2. Tunsil T
  3. Goff QB
  4. Jack ILB
  5. Ramsey CB
  6. Wentz QB
  7. Buckner DE

Goff is the guy I want, but if we can keep Kaep in the fold, and get him going in the right direction after working with Kelly this April, then we'll have some good options regardless. But what happens if Bosa somehow falls to #7? It's not totally out of the realm of possibility,...
[ Edited by Bimbo_Coles on Mar 18, 2016 at 11:22 AM ]
I'm not sure if they "failed" free agency. Chip's right. Not a good move to pay non pro bowl type players the most on the team.
Why did the fail? We've seen time and time again bringing in players not worth the contracts they got usually doesn't turn out the best for the team overall.
yeah I don't really see it as a fail..i think Baalke is still going to bring in players..but not over pay..Beadles was a great deal and if he plays the way he showed in ZBS its a discount..Baalke knows what he is doing and wont make deals that have a bigger chance to bust then to succeed..i think in 2 years the Giants and other teams who spent crazy big money on good not great players will hurt while we are in great shape to go after real stars..for instance say Jeffry or Miller or Wilkerson made it to free agency then id have no problem giving them huge contract bc they are STARS..
I get the the thread starter. He's saying he's glad we failed in FA b/c that leaves more open holes to fill with a draft pick. Problem is you are assuming the correct guys are drafted and they all pan out. Could take 3 or 4 drafts to fill all these holes. And by that time another hole you didn't foresee comes up. That's why if you can fill a position in FA with a proven veteran it's wise to do so.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I get the the thread starter. He's saying he's glad we failed in FA b/c that leaves more open holes to fill with a draft pick. Problem is you are assuming the correct guys are drafted and they all pan out. Could take 3 or 4 drafts to fill all these holes. And by that time another hole you didn't foresee comes up. That's why if you can fill a position in FA with a proven veteran it's wise to do so.

More of a silver lining than anything. There are just a world of possibilities, and they are all good for the 49ers if we're picking in the top 7. A lot of folks are saying that there is no way Goff lasts until 7. Or no way that Jack lasts until 7. Or Bosa. Or Tunsil. Or Ramsey.

the mathematical fact is that the 49ers will have a fantastic player sitting in their lap at #7, who fits a big need. There are three important facts here:
  • There appears to be a clear drop-off after the first 7 picks of the year.
  • The 49ers have about 7 positions where they need to add big time talent. The top-7 players in the draft each would fill one of those holes.
  • The 49ers have the #7 overall pick in the draft.

*Waits for Baalke to draft Ezekial Elliot*
Paying outside players bigger contracts is kind of a weak excuse IMO. It assumes our players only care, or know, about salaries on this team. In reality, I'm sure each player pays very close attention to his position group in FA and knows what the going rate is.

I'm bet Lynch was watching the Irvin and Vernon deals getting finalized and he was licking his chops.
Now I'm sure it pisses him off that Brooks makes nearly 10x what he does. If Lynch has another good season, we're going to have to extend him early. We have all the leverage in a team-friendly deal because he's getting paid early. He'll accept the contract because he gets the guaranteed money now, versus potentially a year or two down the road. That's the correct way to handle in-house contracts.
Originally posted by lamontb:

If it takes you 3-4 drafts in a parity driven league....you need a new GM. If this team drafts well over the two drafts and patches up holes in FA next year, they should be looking at contending for a playoff spot in 2017.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 20, 2016 at 7:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If it takes you 3-4 drafts in a parity driven league....you need a new GM. If this team drafts well over the two drafts and patches up holes in FA next year, they should be looking at contending for a playoff spot in 2017.

When Dak and Chip are scoring 50 a game you'll change your tune.
Originally posted by strickac:
Paying outside players bigger contracts is kind of a weak excuse IMO. It assumes our players only care, or know, about salaries on this team. In reality, I'm sure each player pays very close attention to his position group in FA and knows what the going rate is.

I'm bet Lynch was watching the Irvin and Vernon deals getting finalized and he was licking his chops.
Now I'm sure it pisses him off that Brooks makes nearly 10x what he does. If Lynch has another good season, we're going to have to extend him early. We have all the leverage in a team-friendly deal because he's getting paid early. He'll accept the contract because he gets the guaranteed money now, versus potentially a year or two down the road. That's the correct way to handle in-house contracts.

I don't see this happening. I'm sure the 49ers will try to extend him early on a team friendly deal, but I don't see anyone accepting a cheap deal to stay here on a rebuilding team (generous calling it a rebuilding team when we're competing with the Browns to put together some of the worst teams in the last decade). Lynch can always take out an insurance policy for injury and make up tbe money in free agency with the option of choosing a better team if the 49ers don't overpay him.

Until this team shows signs of improvement/talent, we'll be overpaying for most of our players.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Why did the fail? We've seen time and time again bringing in players not worth the contracts they got usually doesn't turn out the best for the team overall.

Agree

Remember the "Dream team" about 10 years ago??

Epic Fail
Build through the draft
Share 49ersWebzone