LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 335 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner DL - Oregon

• Elric
  • Veteran
I have enjoyed the fantasy of drafting Buckner since we drafted Armstead last year.
The envision them at RDE and LDE rushing the passer and crating havoc for the next ten years.
but what we would pass up would be too great.
Buckner could go any where between 15-32
If we waited to pick him we would pass up a starting WR an OT and May be a pass rushing OLB.
I'm tired of seeing our offense not being able to score more the ten of seventeen points.
we have weapons we just can't use them because our Offensive line is so bad.
Bolden is not going to play for ever either I asked him.
Our defense is upper-tier that means a little above average with another pass rusher Top ten pick.
we could have a top 5 or a top10 defense and you know what that wins?
Originally posted by Elric:
I have enjoyed the fantasy of drafting Buckner since we drafted Armstead last year.
The envision them at RDE and LDE rushing the passer and crating havoc for the next ten years.
but what we would pass up would be too great.
Buckner could go any where between 15-32
If we waited to pick him we would pass up a starting WR an OT and May be a pass rushing OLB.
I'm tired of seeing our offense not being able to score more the ten of seventeen points.
we have weapons we just can't use them because our Offensive line is so bad.
Bolden is not going to play for ever either I asked him.
Our defense is upper-tier that means a little above average with another pass rusher Top ten pick.
we could have a top 5 or a top10 defense and you know what that wins?

OL could be taken care of in FA. I don't really see a ton of WRs worth drafting early in the 1st (I like Treadwell but not in the top 10).

They are gonna have around $50 million in cap space or maybe more depending on what they do with Brooks/Kap next season a lot of offensive players can be had in FA.

WR: M Jones, A Jeffery, M Sanu come to mind

OL- A Smith M Schwatz, C Glenn, A Mack, E Mathis, resign Boone.

I think going BPA in the draft is the best route to go...IF Blaine is worth keeping as the starting QB for next season that would be HUGE.

Originally posted by Elric:

What pass rusher would you take in the Top 10......because I really don't see that guy in this draft. Floyd, Ogbah, Lawson, the top pass rushers in this draft and none is worth a top 10 pick IMO. With the real possibility of this team winning at least another 2-3 games this season, they might not have that Top 10 pick after all anyways, putting them in Buckner's range pretty much.
Drafting defense seems to be Baalke's forte, so why not draft all defense and pick up offense via free agency?
Originally posted by Trath44:
Drafting defense seems to be Baalke's forte, so why not draft all defense and pick up offense via free agency?

It'd be a great thing but you can't hire an elite or good QB in the FA. Also FA is expensive while the draft is cheap.

I'm all for that. It's been proven that you can win a SB with an elite defense and an average offense.

The only problem I can see is that there aren't enough roster spots for all those picks, so you wind-up cutting guys and wasting picks you could have used on offense or special teams.
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
It'd be a great thing but you can't hire an elite or good QB in the FA. Also FA is expensive while the draft is cheap.

It's not common but it's not unheard of (Warner, Gannon, Palmer,Manning, Favre, Montana, Brees).
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:

It's not common but it's not unheard of (Warner, Gannon, Palmer,Manning, Favre, Montana, Brees).

Hopefully Gabbert gets added to that list and we can draft BPA instead of chasing a franchise QB for another decade.

But you need to look who's available in FA, next to nothing in 2016.

back to Buckner this kid is the real deal and I'd be happy to see him a Niner (trade down for him would be ideal).
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Please no more Oregon linemen.

Originally posted by susweel:

pshhh whatever man...AA is getting better every game. why don't you root for a player that's actually on your team and doing well instead of crying about not getting the guy you wanted.

s**t gets old man and I don't want to hear AA sucks because he doesn't have 10 sacks, you're smart enough to know what a 3-4 DE is supposed to do in SFs defense.

Go watch Buckner's film he's all over the place and is gonna be a fine player. Trade down for this kid, get another 2nd and you're looking at grabbing someone like

Buckner DL 1st, Alexander at OG (with SFs early 2nd), and getting Perry or Jenkins as a pass rusher with that 2nd pick.

Depending on how the QB situation goes the rest of the year I think this would be a good way to approach the draft.

Who do you want??
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NYniner85:

pshhh whatever man...AA is getting better every game. why don't you root for a player that's actually on your team and doing well instead of crying about not getting the guy you wanted.

s**t gets old man and I don't want to hear AA sucks because he doesn't have 10 sacks, you're smart enough to know what a 3-4 DE is supposed to do in SFs defense.

Go watch Buckner's film he's all over the place and is gonna be a fine player. Trade down for this kid, get another 2nd and you're looking at grabbing someone like

Buckner DL 1st, Alexander at OG (with SFs early 2nd), and getting Perry or Jenkins as a pass rusher with that 2nd pick.

Depending on how the QB situation goes the rest of the year I think this would be a good way to approach the draft.

Who do you want??

i always cheer all the niners, only thing I have hardly noticed him to play to even cheer for him. I would rather draft Bosa because I dont trust baalke drafting 2nd, and 3rd picks his track record is awful.
i always cheer all the niners, only thing I have hardly noticed him to play to even cheer for him. I would rather draft Bosa because I dont trust baalke drafting 2nd, and 3rd picks his track record is awful.

I agree that Baalke's 2nd round picks are normally not good(Hyde and Tartt are the exceptions) but IMO he's a good record in 3rd rouns(3 good players in Bowman, Culliver and Borland, 2 bad in Martin and Lemonier and a guy who is still undefined in Thomas)

Then you're clearly not watching...AA making plays at his position when he's in. You look at stat sheets, but fail to watch how he's been progressing. PFF has him highly ranked... you should be happy a young prospect is actually playing well for us and has a bright future instead on hating on him because he wasn't your pick.

Also I think we'd all love Bosa but that would require the 1st pick in the draft IMO.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 16, 2015 at 8:56 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Then you're clearly not watching...AA making plays at his position when he's in. You look at stat sheets, but fail to watch how he's been progressing. PFF has him highly ranked... you should be happy a young prospect is actually playing well for us and has a bright future instead on hating on him because he wasn't your pick.

Also I think we'd all love Bosa but that would require the 1st pick in the draft IMO.

You're likely right about that. But the good thing is that there doesn't look to be a steep drop off in talent through the first 12 picks or so. No elite talent, but solid players throughout.
Share 49ersWebzone