LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 134 users in the forums

An early mock draft - SD79

Because I'm at work and been thinking about the draft.

1st Round - OT Tyler Johnstone, Oregon - He is probably considered a late 1st round or 2nd rounder by draft pundits at the moment. He has suffered some knee tears and is an injury concern. He lacks some strength as well. But when it comes to length, agility, balance and quickness he is arguably the best in college. He is an ideal fit for a zone-blocking scheme.

2nd Round - WR Pharoh Cooper*, South Carolina - Again, he is probably projected as a later pick. Listed at 5'11 210lbs, he plays multiple roles in South Carolina's offense. I think in a game, he looks to run at about a 4.5 speed, he is obviously thickly built and an aggressive wide receiver who battles and comes back to the ball for the QB. His hands are average, his playmaking ability is excellent. I think he is too raw to start from day 1 but will find playing time as a punt returnman.

3rd round - QB Jacoby Brissett, NC State - Yet again I'm taking a guy that right now is projected much later. He is an athletic QB that stays in the pocket, the offense he runs is a spread attack built on short passes. He does take some snaps from under center. His accuracy is inconsistent with a tendency to throw the ball low. He shows good anticipation when his below-average WRs make their breaks. He has a good release with good arm strength. Brissett on his game is a sure-thing 1st round pick, a struggling Brissett is a 6th round pick. Personally I like his potential quite a bit and think he has a future in the NFL.

4th round - OLB Drew Ott, Iowa - He is out for the year with a torn ACL. He finished last year with 7.5 sacks and had 5 sacks in 6 games so far this year. What stands out to me his use of strong hands, long arms, pure power, and high motor. I think without the injury he would have ended up as a late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder.

4th round - OG Christian Westerman, Arizona State - Hey I have to get one ASU player in . Westerman was a former 5-star highly touted recruit that went to Auburn, didn't like it and transferred to ASU. Probably one of the strongest lineman that will be in the draft an ideal lead power run blocker to punch holes. An Iupati replacement.

5th round - RB Marshaun Coprich, Illinois State - Undersized at 5'8 but plays tough and doesn't shy away from contact. Shows the ability at pass protection. Some good burst but not a speedster. Regularly breaks arm tackles but its not competitive football. FCS RB of the year in 2015.

5th round - DE Luther Maddy, Virginia Tech - undersized NT at V-Tech that I think projects well as a 3-4 DE. Has shown some pretty good athleticism for a 285lbs player.

5th round - ILB Pete Robertson, Texas Tech

6th round - WR Malcolm Mitchell, Georgia

6th round - OG/C Robetr Booker, Missouri State

7th round - S Kalan Reed, Southern Mississippi
If we are going to pick these guys in the 1st and 2nd round at least trade down because you could easily get an extra 2nd round pick.
Wow. I am happy you're not our GM.
If the 49ers take Johnstone with an early 1st rounder, Im going to join up with Sus in going to kick Baalke's ass.

Id be fine with him in the 2nd or trading up into the late 1st round but not in the Top 10.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If the 49ers take Johnstone with an early 1st rounder, Im going to join up with Sus in going to kick Baalke's ass.

Id be fine with him in the 2nd or trading up into the late 1st round but not in the Top 10.

Top 5
Bruce Ellington is our Pharoh Cooper...just need to use the guy. Would rather take Travin Dural from LSU. Good size and can get down the field.

Your quote on Johnstone "This, if he checks out health wise. Perfect fit if they want to continue to run zone blocking looks."
Originally posted by genus49:
Bruce Ellington is our Pharoh Cooper...just need to use the guy. Would rather take Travin Dural from LSU. Good size and can get down the field.

Ellington isn't anywhere close to as dynamic as Cooper...
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Your quote on Johnstone "This, if he checks out health wise. Perfect fit if they want to continue to run zone blocking looks."

Not that early in the draft. And thats assuming that they continue running the same blocking scheme with a new coach if Tomsula is gone.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Top 5

Maybe, thats assuming that the Lions, Ravens, Texans, Browns and some others dont end up with equal or worse records. 49ers are screwed because of the difficulty of theie schedule, if they end up tied with like 3 teams, they get the short end of the straw.

This.
As someone who is graduating from the University of Oregon this year, I can say that if we took him top 5 I would call for Baalkes head.

Why would we pass on guys like Tunsil, Stanley, Decker, Ifedi, Hawkins, Conklin...
Those are all guys I would take over Johnstone and most of them aren't injury plagued.

I am however a huge fan of the Westerman pick, he has been giving us some problems for a couple years now
[ Edited by Quest4six on Oct 27, 2015 at 1:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
This.
As someone who is graduating from the University of Oregon this year, I can say that if we took him top 5 I would call for Baalkes head.

Why would we pass on guys like Tunsil, Stanley, Decker, Ifedi, Hawkins, Conklin...
Those are all guys I would take over Johnstone and most of them aren't injury plagued.

I am however a huge fan of the Westerman pick, he has been giving us some problems for a couple years now

I wonder if you know my son who is also graduating. Kappa Sig.
These picks looks like as if we won the super bowl and we have pick #32.

Not that early in the draft. And thats assuming that they continue running the same blocking scheme with a new coach if Tomsula is gone.

I'm assuming we draft at 10

I'm amused by the hate on Johnstone being a first rounder
I'm assuming we draft at 10

I'm amused by the hate on Johnstone being a first rounder

Even 10, which I think is rather optimistic, is way too early. Its not the hate on the player, its the lack of value in the pick. He's a good player and a perfect zone blocking fit but he's also had 2 torn ACL's in the past 2 years, early 2nd round is about right for him.
Share 49ersWebzone