LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 150 users in the forums

Darron Lee OLB/ILB OSU

never heard of her
Pro Football Focus lists Ohio State LB Darron Lee as the fourth-most overrated player in the class.

The site mentions that every year, a team falls in love with a linebacker with tremendous measurables that may or may not translate to the field, tossing out Ryan Shazier, Alec Ogletree and Bruce Carter as a few examples. FF believes that Lee, who blazed a 4.47 40-yard dash at the Combine with an 11-1 broad jump, may be that linebacker in this year's class "The scary part about Lee is that he almost never played as a true linebacker and thus lacked instincts when forced to play in the box; 492 of his 879 snaps came in the slot out wide of the tackles," Michael Renner wrote. "Even when he was asked to make plays in space, he frequently took bad angles and overran plays."
If we didn't need a QB, pass rush or O-line I would say to totally draft this guy. He's going to be a playmaker on some team not name San Francisco.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Pro Football Focus lists Ohio State LB Darron Lee as the fourth-most overrated player in the class.

The site mentions that every year, a team falls in love with a linebacker with tremendous measurables that may or may not translate to the field, tossing out Ryan Shazier, Alec Ogletree and Bruce Carter as a few examples. FF believes that Lee, who blazed a 4.47 40-yard dash at the Combine with an 11-1 broad jump, may be that linebacker in this year's class "The scary part about Lee is that he almost never played as a true linebacker and thus lacked instincts when forced to play in the box; 492 of his 879 snaps came in the slot out wide of the tackles," Michael Renner wrote. "Even when he was asked to make plays in space, he frequently took bad angles and overran plays."

Huh? Ryan Shazier & Alec Ogletree are examples of failures? Shazier's an absolute stud. I don't know where you're getting that. Ogletree was looking pretty good too before he got injured (he's playing out of position IMO).

As far as Lee goes, he can cover better than a lot of safeties right now. And he's good blitzing. The rest of his game needs work, and he needs to add some weight if he wants to play LB. But I'd be thrilled to have him. He flies to the ball.

Coverage skills was a huge reason the Niners' LB corps was so good from 2010 to 2013.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Huh? Ryan Shazier & Alec Ogletree are examples of failures? Shazier's an absolute stud. I don't know where you're getting that. Ogletree was looking pretty good too before he got injured (he's playing out of position IMO).

As far as Lee goes, he can cover better than a lot of safeties right now. And he's good blitzing. The rest of his game needs work, and he needs to add some weight if he wants to play LB. But I'd be thrilled to have him. He flies to the ball.

Coverage skills was a huge reason the Niners' LB corps was so good from 2010 to 2013.

I believe he was tossing those names out as an exception.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
If Lee is there, I hope we don't draft him until the 4th round...

I'm so sick of these Workout Warriors... did anyone see Lee all year? did he look like a top 25 player??

I infact enjoyed watching Striker more than Lee all year long..

PFF seems to be less useful by the day.

Lee has the "it" factor. He's a playmaker. He's been a LB for 2 years and was QB before that. He's gonna be a stud, book it.
Originally posted by 9moon:

I'm so sick of these Workout Warriors...

That doesn't make sense. Baalke hasn't really drafted any "workout warriors" in the first 3 rounds since he became GM. The In fact, the closest guy to fit that description is Eric Reid, and he was great right out of the gates (although injuries have hampered him).

Darron Lee is not a workout warrior. He's LB with great coverage skills & pass-rush ability with questionable size.
Originally posted by TheRambler:

PFF seems to be less useful by the day.

Lee has the "it" factor. He's a playmaker. He's been a LB for 2 years and was QB before that. He's gonna be a stud, book it.

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they don't know what there talking about I mean it all depends where you want him to play? I think he's more of a 4-3 LB than a 3-4 LB.

He's a good player not sure he's a fit for SF though. I really hope Baalke doesn't get crazy and draft him at 7

I think he's better in a 4-3 than in our 3-4....it's not to say he'd not a great player but like you said he needs to add weight and the rest of the game like staying in the box making tackles and taking better angles needs to be improved on.

I think more than anything PFF is saying he's gonna be over drafted not that he's a bad player.

Are you saying that Ogletree, is not a very good LB? or you saying that Ogletree,Carter,and Shazier are the exception? becasue I saw Ogletree play for the Rams and He is very good
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

Are you saying that Ogletree, is not a very good LB? or you saying that Ogletree,Carter,and Shazier are the exception? becasue I saw Ogletree play for the Rams and He is very good

I'm not saying anything...this was reported buy PFF and I was just letting people read it
Originally posted by 9moon:

I'm so sick of these Workout Warriors... did anyone see Lee all year? did he look like a top 25 player??

I infact enjoyed watching Striker more than Lee all year long..

I love Striker's game. He needs about 3 or 4 inches get picked where his talent falls. Unfortunately, he's going to slide because he's pretty much just a 4-3 WILL. Maybe he'll fall into that hybrid LB/S role in certain run packages.

He'll need to be a ST ace at the next level. Assuming teams like his coverage skills, I could actually see him going to a team like Seattle to compete at Irvin's old spot.
I think he's better in a 4-3 than in our 3-4...

Unfortunately, I agree with you. However, people said the same thing about Bowman. So I still like the idea of drafting him & letting him start out on special teams and as a backup in 2016 while he adds weight & learns the defense.
I think he's better in a 4-3 than in our 3-4...

Unfortunately, I agree with you. However, people said the same thing about Bowman. So I still like the idea of drafting him & letting him start out on special teams and as a backup in 2016 while he adds weight & learns the defense.

Drafting him when? Surely not at 7 and he'll probably be gone by 37...
Share 49ersWebzone