LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 141 users in the forums

Geek's Mock Plan V1.0

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Assumptions:
- We go full on Kap and we end up with the #1 pick.
- Baalke, Tomsula, and Mangini will remain in their respective positions.
- York will hire a senior consultant to help pinpoint talent on the offensive side of the ball. That man? Mike Holmgren
- Chryst and Logan are fired.

New offensive coordinator: Marty Mornhinweg (WCO with sprinkles of Mooch, Holmgren, and Reid systems; former HC and current QB coach)
New QB coach: Brad Childress (WCO with former HC experience; assistant on KC's staff)

Resign - $12M spent: Boone - OG, Wilhoite - ILB (RFA), Williams - NT, Dawson - K

Cut - $17M savings: Kaepernick - QB, Dorsey - DT/DE, McDonald - TE, Pears - OT

Cap room entering free agency: $55 million (w. carry over)

Free Agency Signings:

Muhammad Wilkerson - DT/DE - Jets: Elite defensive lineman that replaces the Justin Smith void. 27 years old at this signing.

Mitchell Schwartz - RT - Browns: Cali guy that is a Top 10 RT in the league. He could slide to RG if needed.

Mohamed Sanu - WR - Bengals: Replaces Boldin to add a younger receiver to the corps.

Colby Fleener - TE - Colts: Replaces V. Davis but fits into a nice WCO receiver. Fleener-Celek combo with Bell in development.

Chad Henne - QB - Dolphins: Quality vet back that has ties with Sparano.

NFL Draft:

R1: Jared Goff - QB - Cal: Say no more. Day 1 starter.

R2: Josh Doctson - WR - TCU: Compares to Jordan Matthews, Doctson would round out our WR corp.

R3: Nick Martin - C/OG - Notre Dame: Captain of the line with solid performances at C and LG over the past couple of seasons.

R4: Josh Ferguson - RB - Illinois: All purpose back that has great speed and receiving ability.

R4 (COMP): Jonathan Jones - CB - Auburn: Slot corner but playmaker.

R5: Terrance Smith - LB - Florida St: Converts to ILB and competes with Hodges and Wilhoite for the starting ILB spot.

R5: Bronson Kaufusi - DL/LB - BYU (via SD): May be more of a 4-3 DE with his 6-6 size, but he can be a situational pass rusher with a hand down in our scheme.

R5 (COMP): Tyler Marz - OT/OG - Wisconsin: Upgraded depth across the O-Line.

R6-R7: BPA

Depth Chart:

QB: Goff*/Henne*
RB: Hyde/Davis/Ferguson*/Hayne
FB: Miller
TE: Fleener*/Celek/Bell/Anderson

WR: Smith/Smelter/Ellington
WR: Sanu*/Doctson*

LT: Staley/Marz*
LG: Boone
C: Kilgore/N. Martin*
RG: Thomas/M. Martin
RT: Schwartz*/Brown

LE: Dial/Armstead
NT: Williams/Purcell
RE: Wilkerson*/Carradine

OLB: Lynch/Kaufausi*/Lemonier
ILB: Bowman/Wilhoite
ILB: Hodges/Smith*
OLB: Brooks/Harold

CB: Brock/Johnson/Reaser
CB: Acker/Jones*
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/Tartt/McCray

ST: Dawson, Pinion, Nelson
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Not sold on Goff yet. I'm worried about his decision process getting worse in the pros. I saw alot of plays where he only looked at first read. Also I hate when qb's start rookie season
I like your free agent signings..I think brooks is going to get cut bc of his high salary going into next year..I hate we have the 1st pick in your mock but it sucks to say it's possible..not sold on goff much yet..I honestly like cook more..but I love doctson in the 2nd..he's crazy athletic..i think I'd go CB or OLB sooner especially if brooks is cut..but great job..very nice mock..
I like it..except for resigning Wilhoite
I like it but don't see us spending big money on Wilkerson.
our biggest need on the defense side is a pass rusher. It would be better to cut brooks and sign or draft a stud pass rusher to pair up with lynch, Brooks just doesnt cut it
I could live w/this.

Really like the fires AND getting real WCO guys.

Really like Schwartz.

Good one man!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
our biggest need on the defense side is a pass rusher. It would be better to cut brooks and sign or draft a stud pass rusher to pair up with lynch, Brooks just doesnt cut it

Secondary looks better with a solid pass rush. A pass rush is improved when you have stout defensive linemen to occupy blockers and demand double teams. Stout defensive linemen will provide interior pressure against the pass, and solid run defense abilities.

So to me, the priority is DL -> LB -> DB. We have Lynch and Harold as the young guys with Brooks as the savvy vet, and Kaufausi as the rookie. That's solid to me, so you need to beef up your DL to max that LB production. Hence, the drafting of Armstead, Dial, and Carradine with the signing of Wilkerson will result in a DAMN good defense.
I wouldn't say Goff is a day 1 starter.
I'd rather sign a TE who can actually block. Fleeners teammate would be a better signing. I like Ladarius Green best.

I usually love your mocks and your plans but you lost me with your first round pick.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I wouldn't say Goff is a day 1 starter.

This. I think a team would be wise to take their time with him, give him at least a year of time on the sidelines, not rushing him into the starting lineup.
i would like Baalke to pull 2 starters out of the 1st round...any combination would do
R.Tackle-RDE
R.Tackle-R.Guard
W.Receiver-R.Tackle
RDE-OLB
OLB-R.Tackle
RDE-ILB
[ Edited by Rgonelove on Oct 9, 2015 at 4:28 PM ]
Mike holmgren's last two offensive 1st round picks. Brandon weeden and trent richardson. Great coach but I dont want him anywhere near the scouting department.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Assumptions:
- We go full on Kap and we end up with the #1 pick.
- Baalke, Tomsula, and Mangini will remain in their respective positions.
- York will hire a senior consultant to help pinpoint talent on the offensive side of the ball. That man? Mike Holmgren
- Chryst and Logan are fired.
Why???

No thx to Holmgren. I havent forgot his "work" in Cleveland...
Childress would be fine IF Logan and/or Chryst has to go.
Share 49ersWebzone