There are 252 users in the forums

49ers Draft Grade

49ers Draft Grade

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Phoenix, please stop assuming that people with opinions other than yours don't have knowledge about the draft. Webzoners aren't the only ones to question the Niners selections, where they were selected and not addressing some thin position groups.

Much of the criticism I'm seeing of various players is almost verbatim from the various online draft reports, but I'm sure that is of course only a coincidence.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 2, 2015 at 4:39 PM ]
Solid B with the potential for more:

Arik Armstead - Likely inactive a lot in 2015, but should anchor the LDE position for years to come
Jaquiski "Pop" Tartt - Special teamer now, but could be the eventual starter next to Reid with size, speed and athleticism
Eli Harold - Could be an excellent nickel pass rusher or eventual starter should Aldon/Lynch regress
Blake Bell - Love his size at the TE position and could be a match-up nightmare
Mike Davis - LOVE THIS PICK. Reminds me a lot of Gore and think he's an ideal compliment to Hyde
DeAndre Smelter - LOVE THIS PICK EVEN MORE. IMO, potential #1 talent once healthy. Major steal here
The punter - No commentIan Silberman - ???
Trenton Brown - If he can keep his weight in check, has the potential to be a dominating o-lineman
Rory "Busta" Anderson - Great height/speed combo at TE; could be a major steal if he can develop and stay healthy

Clearly it all depends on how they develop, but there is absolutely no doubt that they drafted a ton of talent with the common themes of size, speed and ability.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 2, 2015 at 4:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That can apply for any pick in the draft, even the most "NFL-ready" players bust. Remember when Aaron Curry was "can't miss" and "NFL-ready."

The 49ers basically bought low on some raw players that they appear to be confident in being able to coach up to their full potential. As with any draft, only time will tell but most people on here are only regurgitating the stuff that they read on NFL.com or CBS Sports pretty much.

This. Remember when we drafted Aldon Smith? This place went full on apes**t. Then midway through the season people were absolutely shameless in jumping back on Baalke's nuts. EVERY GM misses in the draft.
It's not like New England, Seattle, or whoever else you want to throw in there is out here drafting starters with every pick.

Some of yall are just ridiculous.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Round 1 and 2 were potential guys, that's not buying very low. And I'm starting to think Tartt was a mulligan for Ward. I don't hate this draft, I'm just worried about a staff that's not proven (working together) to make this all work. And while Tomsula is a great DL coach, he couldn't make Balmer a worthy starter.

It's buying low if you think Armstead can be an All-Pro type player which is why people like Daniel Jeremiah had him as a top 10 talent. He's a guy with a ton of upside who can still come in and contribute as a rookie because of his familiarity with the scheme.
It's buying low if you think Armstead can be an All-Pro type player which is why people like Daniel Jeremiah had him as a top 10 talent. He's a guy with a ton of upside who can still come in and contribute as a rookie because of his familiarity with the scheme.

I don't know if you know what buying low means. If you got them in the 5th or 6th round that would be buying low. But they used their mid first round and mid second round picks on them and those are high picks. until you learn the difference between buying low and buying high stay away from the stock market.
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
I don't know if you know what buying low means. If you got them in the 5th or 6th round that would be buying low. But they used their mid first round and mid second round picks on them and those are high picks. until you learn the difference between buying low and buying high stay away from the stock market.

Armstead was a mid 1st rounder with the potential of a Top 5 pick. His ceiling is enormous, he needs good coaching badly, a lot of his issues are things that are coachable and had they been fixed already, the 49ers would never have been able to draft him where they were at. They got players with substantially better potential than their draft position indicated. Tartt was compared to Landon Collins, but with a higher ceiling. If they coach him up into the top safety from this draft then yes, they did buy low on a top talent.

They take a guy who is still raw but has enormous potential, that was pretty much their M.O. for the entire draft, guys that had high ceilings, that were raw, that need good coaching, all throughout the draft we saw the same thing.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 2, 2015 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Hangman_52:

Armstead was a mid 1st rounder with the potential of a Top 5 pick. His ceiling is enormous, he needs good coaching badly, a lot of his issues are things that are coachable and had they been fixed already, the 49ers would never have been able to draft him where they were at. They got players with substantially better potential than their draft position indicated. Tartt was compared to Landon Collins, but with a higher ceiling. If they coach him up into the top safety from this draft then yes, they did buy low on a top talent.

They take a guy who is still raw but has enormous potential, that was pretty much their M.O. for the entire draft, guys that had high ceilings, that were raw, that need good coaching, all throughout the draft we saw the same thing.

People keep clamoring for sexier picks from Baalke but it is not his style. He builds from the trenches out, not the other way. Never has. Never will. He wants his RB's big, his safeties to be thumpers and his OL to be road-graders. I'm going to guess that with the OL selected today, we can put to rest any talk of switching to a zone-blocking scheme. All the guys I'm remembering off the top of my head have great power with mobility issues.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on May 2, 2015 at 4:57 PM ]
Phoenix, please stop assuming that people with opinions other than yours don't have knowledge about the draft. Webzoners aren't the only ones to question the Niners selections, where they were selected and not addressing some thin position groups.

Much of the criticism I'm seeing of various players is almost verbatim from the various online draft reports, but I'm sure that is of course only a coincidence.
Since you're reading all of the criticism, then you know the truth that webzoners aren't the only ones with opinions that differ from yours.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
People keep clamoring for sexier picks from Baalke but it is not his style. He builds from the trenches out, not the other way. Never has. Never will.

The people who got way too obsessed with drafting receivers may never get that, I saw some people advocating for 3 WR's with like like the first 4 or 5 picks...and then they get upset when reality doesn't mesh with fantasy. This is not going to be a "high octane" offense, its still going to be ball control, run the football, run the football, take your shots off of playaction, play rugged, physical defense, hit the other guys harder than they hit you, line up and punch the other team in the mouth, that's just how it is going to go. If you look at the picks, Baalke added a lot of BIG, PHYSICAL players, lots of guys with mean temperaments, that is how this team will continue to be structured.
Since you're reading all of the criticism, then you know the truth that webzoners aren't the only ones with opinions that differ from yours.

Oh, I have no problem with people with different opinions, as long as they aren't just simply regurgitating what is written on another site. Plenty of people admitting that they are upset because they havent heard of the guys Baalke is drafting, so obviously they must suck.

Originally posted by bzborow1:
People keep clamoring for sexier picks from Baalke but it is not his style. He builds from the trenches out, not the other way. Never has. Never will.

The people who got way too obsessed with drafting receivers may never get that, I saw some people advocating for 3 WR's with like like the first 4 or 5 picks...and then they get upset when reality doesn't mesh with fantasy. This is not going to be a "high octane" offense, its still going to be ball control, run the football, run the football, take your shots off of playaction, play rugged, physical defense, hit the other guys harder than they hit you, line up and punch the other team in the mouth, that's just how it is going to go. If you look at the picks, Baalke added a lot of BIG, PHYSICAL players, lots of guys with mean temperaments, that is how this team will continue to be structured.

Exactly. He's building a bully with massive players on the inside, two huge/athletic TEs, a big/physical safety and a big/physical WR. The more you look at what Baalke did here, the more you have to love it.
C+

Building for the future, but it just reaffirms the idea that this season is going to hinge on Kap and his growth. Other than him, nothing from this draft gains ground against the rest of the NFC West (except maybe at ST and front seven depth).
[ Edited by BodhiPaddlesOut on May 2, 2015 at 5:08 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Exactly. He's building a bully with massive players on the inside, two huge/athletic TEs, a big/physical safety and a big/physical WR. The more you look at what Baalke did here, the more you have to love it.

Just by looking at the coaching staff you can see that this isn't going to be a finesse team with guys like Tomsula, Sparano and his Parcells background, Tim Lewis, a long time coach with the Steelers, Mangini with the Patriots back when they played head-thumping defense, a lot of guys with smash and crash credentials. If anything with Harbaugh gone, Baalke might be giving in even more to his Parcells roots. A big, scary, physical defense that plays with bad intentions, that is what I'm expecting to see from the 49ers in the near future.
Drafting Rory "Busta" Anderson as a vertical TE and getting Dres Anderson as a UDFA (and of course the signing of Torrey) lets us all know that we're going to be a vertical passing team now and in to the future.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Just by looking at the coaching staff you can see that this isn't going to be a finesse team with guys like Tomsula, Sparano and his Parcells background, Tim Lewis, a long time coach with the Steelers, Mangini with the Patriots back when they played head-thumping defense, a lot of guys with smash and crash credentials. If anything with Harbaugh gone, Baalke might be giving in even more to his Parcells roots. A big, scary, physical defense that plays with bad intentions, that is what I'm expecting to see from the 49ers in the near future.

Absolutely agree and wish more people could see this.
Share 49ersWebzone