There are 250 users in the forums

The 'Arrow Up, High Upside' Mock Draft

Most of these guys were 'under-the-radar' and little-hyped coming into the draft process. But they are mostly highly athletic, under-rated and have very high upside and will turn out to be draft 'steals'.

Trade: 15 for 25 and 57
1-25 Byron Jones CB . . . . . . . . . . Highest upside. Great character. Plays CB and S. (Might be able to trade down again to ~#28-35?)

2-47 Anthony (or McKinny) ILB . . . Pick best ILB available (Anthony or McKinney or Paul Dawson or Perryman or Kendricks??)

2-57 Henry Anderson DE . . . . . . . Good pass rush. Good football IQ (consider or Armstead, Odighizuwa, Preston Smith, or Carl Davis?)

3 ... Chris Conley WR . . . . . . .. . . Uber- athlete, great speed, great hands, great character

3 ... David Johnson RB/HB . . . . . . Trade up with #4 and #6? Can also play H-back/TE, can fill two needs = RB plus is a DLove type TE

4 ... Chaz Green OT ? . . . . . . . . . . Pick best OL available

6 ... Zach Wagenmann OLB . . . . . Red shirt stash on IR. 37 sacks, All-time sack leader. Still improving. League DPOY. Good upside.

6 ... DeAndre Smelter WR . . . . . . . (trade up) Athletic, Tough, Physical, good instincts & IQ, 11" great hands, wins jump balls, etc

7 ... Darryl Roberts CB . . . . . . . . . . BPA, starter potential
[ Edited by Vito_Corleone on Apr 26, 2015 at 1:32 PM ]
Love it. I chose Jones, Anderson, Conley, Dawson and Johnson on my mock too!
  • crew
  • Veteran
Nice draft, like it. Big fan of Jones & Anderson, like the Conley,Wagenmann & Smelter picks as well.
Not sure if Carolina is a trading partner, they are looking for an OT in the 1st and a couple of them should be there at #25.
I would look to Cowboys at #27 (if you want a 2nd Rd pick) as they may want to leapfrog Chargers & Lions to get Gurley.
If Landon Collins is still on board at #15, Steelers could be a partner (they would love to get him and he won't make it to #22).
Trading to #22 will only get you a 3rd Rd. pick though.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Jones is all there physically, but, as a defender, he's kind of a nice guy. I believe players--especially defenders and o-linemen--need a certain amount of orneryness and meanness and tough guy persona in order to win through thick and thin. From the interviews I've seen, jones is very nice and civil and tame. He could use a little junkyard dog to intimidate the guys with the ball.

Sorry, but anderson is just a decent player. Forget decent in the 2nd rd; got to aim higher.

Why isn't Conley a better player? Somethings missing.
This would work for me.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Jones is all there physically, but, as a defender, he's kind of a nice guy. I believe players--especially defenders and o-linemen--need a certain amount of orneryness and meanness and tough guy persona in order to win through thick and thin. From the interviews I've seen, jones is very nice and civil and tame. He could use a little junkyard dog to intimidate the guys with the ball.

Sorry, but anderson is just a decent player. Forget decent in the 2nd rd; got to aim higher.

LOL. Go ahead and tell me what vital skill his game is missing. Georgia doesn't throw much. That's the whole story.
One of the best mocks I've seen.
Originally posted by xcfan:

Byron Jones had 87 tackles 2012, 60 in 2013, 222 for career, so he has physicality. Is a world-class athlete, and very high character. Seems to have a high floor and also high ceiling. I think he's under-rated. Might be able to get him as low as 30-40?

Henry Anderson looks good on the film I saw. Good pass rush & IQ. . . . Not sure, if there's a better DE, I'd be happy to take him instead

Chris Conley = very little film, but looks excellent, super-athlete, great character, high upside. They didn't throw to him much. Under-rated.
[ Edited by Vito_Corleone on Apr 26, 2015 at 1:14 PM ]
This is very similar to my "swing for the fences" mock. I like it. I'd like it even more if it had Bryce Petty (the only QB I even remotely like in this draft).

I'd also like Antwaan Godley somewhere in there. Could be a great return man.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
I'd also like Antwaan Godley somewhere in there. Could be a great return man.

Yes, Goodley is good! It's really a great deep draft for WR and RB, so it's a chance to get a good WR and RB even late in the draft.
[ Edited by Vito_Corleone on Apr 26, 2015 at 1:31 PM ]

Not bad at all...but I'd still draft my big man, Eddie Goldman. Mangini likes size in the middle and EG provides it, but isn't just a "pure" NT. He can play anywhere on the DL. Maybe even more important is his ability to tie up 2 blockers on virtually every play...we'll lose that when JS retires. FSU's been cranking out some good DL in recent years and Coach Jumbo Fisher says EG is his best.
Were do you see that Conley has great hands? I'll take Lockett over Conley all day.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Not bad at all...but I'd still draft my big man, Eddie Goldman. Mangini likes size in the middle and EG provides it, but isn't just a "pure" NT. He can play anywhere on the DL. Maybe even more important is his ability to tie up 2 blockers on virtually every play...we'll lose that when JS retires. FSU's been cranking out some good DL in recent years and Coach Jumbo Fisher says EG is his best.

Do you write the same thing on everyone's mock

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132640/eddie-goldman
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Were do you see that Conley has great hands? I'll take Lockett over Conley all day.

Conley does have great hands. They're huge too.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Conley does have great hands. They're huge too.

Just because he has big hands doesn't mean he can catch everything case in point Vance McDonald....

Here's a little aricle from PFF on him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/08/cff-overview-wrs-buyer-beware/

Signature Stat: Seeing just 40 catchable passes thrown his way, Conley had four drops in 2014.
Share 49ersWebzone